Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #31
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

^Legendary. That's exactly what would happen if BTB hit me too.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #32
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
In relation to the pinwheel curls and the tempo, body english and so forth; a person can use lots of body english and still never shift the weight above where its starting point is, if they don't have the necessary arm strength to do so.

So, although body english may be used, it doesn't necessarily add that much in terms of strength to the exercise and may not assist the lifter very much at all but with heavier weight you need some momentum at times to get it moving...I could sway my body all day long and still never lift that weight-load, purely because I'm not strong enough to do so...that's my point which I hope didn't get lost in translation there
No, it doesn't. I believe I am understanding you correctly.

While "cheating" may allow for more weight, strength still remains relative.

Back prior to the Weider era, Olympic lifts were used in many muscle building programs. How times have changed.

Olympic lifts are explosive, cheat-style lifts. They require strength, finesse, and are more of an art form than the powerlifts. Many body weight exercises, and gymnastics exercises/moves are the same.

This is no disrespect to the powerlifts, but rather a personal assessment. To me, Olympic lifts are an art form using strength. Olympic lifters and gymnasts get very strong and big using explosive training.

Anyway, my point is this...While a cheat style pinwheel might be scoffed at on many bodybuilding forums, it isn't that distant from a hang clean in nature, form and function. If we dismiss explosive lifts because they don't involve "training theory X's" beliefs, we are really putting blinders on. No disrespect meant.

Explosive lifts can be effective, can build strength, and can build muscle. It's evident because many who use them are strong and big.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #33
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
I love pinwheel curls. I did them when I ran the power, muscle, burn program and they were one of my favorite exercises. Lifting heavy ass weight is just fun sometimes.
Testify BigT - I agree with you completely.
This is wicked. Now I know what I'm going to do next Arms and Shoulders day!! I just hope I don't get that elbow flare up C-curls always give me. We will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am very happy with what I have achieved during my life with my approach. I have hit fat man's 19 inch arms, a 500 raw squat, a 525x4 raw deficit deadlift, a 430 pound raw bench press, a 275 pound raw strict BTN, and strict overhead dumbbell presses with 120 pounders. I also, at one point, was able to perform strict curls with over 160 pounds.
It is a testament to the fact that simplicity with basics is underused, and that progression with compounds lifts can turn boys into advanced lifters all day long.
Your #s are shocking Steve, no joke. I can only hope I don't kill myself when I try and bench that number, in about 2 years time. Maybe 3. Or maybe never. The rest of your achievements I'm not even going to pretend I could get close to in the foreseeable future.
But for the record, my arms were 20 & 1/4 inches when measured a few months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
In relation to the pinwheel curls and the tempo, body english and so forth; a person can use lots of body english and still never shift the weight above where its starting point is, if they don't have the necessary arm strength to do so.
So, although body english may be used, it doesn't necessarily add that much in terms of strength to the exercise and may not assist the lifter very much at all but with heavier weight you need some momentum at times to get it moving...I could sway my body all day long and still never lift that weight-load, purely because I'm not strong enough to do so...that's my point which I hope didn't get lost in translation there
I can also see where you're coming from Babs. I have long been of the opinion that throwing a DB and proper form are a binary code - and never given credence to variations or combinations both. I have been ignorant to the grey area that exists when strong and experienced people want to move out of their comfort zone for fun AND for growth. The videos Steve posted were enlightening, to say the least.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #34
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I can also see where you're coming from Babs. I have long been of the opinion that throwing a DB and proper form are a binary code - and never given credence to variations or combinations both. I have been ignorant to the grey area that exists when strong and experienced people want to move out of their comfort zone for fun AND for growth. The videos Steve posted were enlightening, to say the least.
I just want to make sure that I state I am for strict form first and foremost on almost all lifts. I am no Olympic lifter, nor do I advocate explosive cheat lifts for many bodyparts. I do not want anyone bouncing bench presses off their chest because of this post.

I do personally enjoy explosive/cheat curls because of my past tendinitis, and I do love power shrugs. Power shrugs are just flat out fun. I also find that super strict rows don't do much for me, and tend to use a combination of solid form, good technique, and an explosive pull. Mileage may vary.

Play safe boys and girls

Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

^The boys and girls wouldn't be able to grip 125 lbs each hand for that long, let alone have the musculature to move it without looking like they were having a seizure, or dropping it on a foot. Not necessarily theirs.
And let's be honest: these vids aren't examples of natural trainers moving weights. Natural amateurs, intermediates and even most natural advanced lifters would never be attempting this.

...but then, there's always that video TBTaylor posted recently of the noob smooshed by a smith machine squat... I guess you can never say never.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #36
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

Ive been made aware of my breaking of the 'no bs rule'. MY appologies...
Im a bit old-fashioned - no usb connection for cell and no digital camera.

I will make one final post on this thread or remedy the problem and provide an avatar as btb has instructed. I will reassure you all i am not a troll - JUST SOMEONE WHO LOVES TO LIFT AND LEARN.

short and sweet version:
I feel there is no time for cheat curls. Id rather do other movements that will put more muscle into action if athleticism is my goal.
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #37
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLifting View Post
Ive been made aware of my breaking of the 'no bs rule'. MY appologies...
Im a bit old-fashioned - no usb connection for cell and no digital camera.
Take a picture with your cell, and send it to your mail, or photobucket type account. Then post it here. Easy smesy.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLifting View Post

I will make one final post on this thread or remedy the problem and provide an avatar as btb has instructed.
It is a rule of respect. It's a community rule, and we all abide. It's not a threat to new members, so I hope you will understand. We keep transparency so that this site does not turn into BB.com.

It's not about who has a bigger bench or bigger arms. Not at all. Never was, and never will be. It's about respect. This is not the only lifting forum that operates this way. Several other prominent lifting sites that have this rule, or similar rules, have managed to keep the forum free of e-stats and article commandos.

In addition, I need to state that this is not a business. All the money generated from this site goes back to sponsor lifters, and is returned via contests. I pay $100-200 each month out of my own pocket to keep this site moving, and to help promote lifters.

I have made a commitment to the lifters of this community, and I will abide by my commitment. I do not hold a grudge against anyone who dislikes our rules.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #39
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Take a picture with your cell, and send it to your mail, or photobucket type account. Then post it here. Easy smesy.
Photobucket??? man I AM behind the times?
I can type though, does that count for anything? lol

Glwanabe, if i text you, would you be so kind as to post for me?

thanks,
seth
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #40
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
... I guess you can never say never.
CORRECT!!!! you never should say never.

i love this movement and i am a natural. now i may not grab the 125's but i have grab the 95's and i have added considerable peak to my bicep in the process. this is probably my favorite movement by far for adding pure mass to my bicep. i can use a little body persuasion and catch and slow the DB on the way down. and as BTB said already tendonitis is an issue and i feel alot less of it with this movement over some other slower straight bar concentration curls or seated preachers.

and in accordance to the no bs rule my size, training style and bicep developement can be attested to by none other than BTB himself cause he has seen me do this movement with heavy DB's and has seen my developement for last year to this.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote