Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Pinwheel Curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLifting View Post
Seems as though were on the same page ab.
I was also shocked to read these very very experienced and knowledgeable fellows on this site approve of your vid. Id like to know if their approval was in regard to muscle building. And if the approval was for strength, id like to know what exercise these 'curls' will assist or improve.
Quite a few lifters on this site, including powerlifters with substantial 3-lift totals, do variations of pinwheel curls. Not everything has to be done for a reason, or done so it fits nicely into a box. Some lifts are done for pleasure. With that said, I think they are great for strength and muscle building.

I personally do more explosive curl movements because:

A) Personal experience tells me that too much direct tension and volume on the biceps is a recipe for tendinitis.

B) I have reached my natural arm potential and have no reason to be obsessed about gaining more size, so the move allows me to stimulate my biceps, maintain size, without taking the connective tissue and dredging up old tendinitis.

C) I believe in the power of heavy weight and love movements that allow maximal weight. A cheating style pinwheel is worth more to me than a concentration curl.

D) I am not obsessed with biceps, but do enjoy some fun bicep work. This lift is fun for me.

Abaddon has monster arms, so it was fairly safe for me to advocate pinwheels for him. In addition, unless I misunderstand his goals, Abaddon is not a pure powerlifter.

Also, explosive lifts can be fun. I don't do everything with a reason. I enjoy lifting, like the movement, and am not obsessed about bodyparts, tension, and what works what. I trust in the process, and enjoy the ride. Hard work and progression on compound lifts is a recipe for success.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-08-2011 at 09:29 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Note: This post has been removed from Abaddon's log so we can continue the discussion...

Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #23
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

When I enter a place and see Ab and BTB all hulked up over something, I just...back...away..slowly!

Nice work, Ab!

Great points, BTB.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
id like to know what exercise these 'curls' will assist or improve.
And to answer your question as simply as possible...they build strength and add muscle.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #25
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
When I enter a place and see Ab and BTB all hulked up over something, I just...back...away..slowly!

Nice work, Ab!

Great points, BTB.

This is kind of what I was going for, but couldn't find a pic of Hulk standing next to some fat pasty guy with a swatch of teenager's pubes on his chin at such sort notice.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

I love pinwheel curls. I did them when I ran the power, muscle, burn program and they were one of my favorite exercises. Lifting heavy ass weight is just fun sometimes.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Just for the record, I'm not exactly alone in my love for this lift. I discovered pinwheel curls last year because of others here...

Here are some DC Training and Max-OT videos with pinwheels.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

For what it's worth, I am neither a bodybuilder or powerlifter. I am merely a recreational lifter who doesn't really have a taste for the OCD. I prefer simple, basic hard work on heavy compounds lifts.

I do not obsess about TUT, maximal tension, speed training, etc. I believe in progress and compound lifts, and know that this combination will allow for great strength and muscle building gains for the Average Joe or Jane.

I understand the place of advanced training techniques, and have studied them, and tried them myself. I am not speaking in the realm of advanced lifting because I do not wish to lecture other advanced lifters on how to train. I respect them, and wouldn't elevate myself to that level.

My only goal in life right now is to help the average person who is trapped in bodybuilding magazine land to gain more size and strength. But don't take that to mean I am ignorant or shun advanced approaches.

I am very happy with what I have achieved during my life with my approach. I have hit fat man's 19 inch arms, a 500 raw squat, a 525x4 raw deficit deadlift, a 430 pound raw bench press, a 275 pound raw strict BTN, and strict overhead dumbbell presses with 120 pounders. I also, at one point, was able to perform strict curls with over 160 pounds.

I have never competed, may never compete, but have achieved more with my ignorance and self-learning than most who have studied every nuance of natural strength and muscle building training. This is not a testament to myself, nor me pounding my chest, not a criticism of those that enjoy learning and ready every study.

It is a testament to the fact that simplicity with basics is underused, and that progression with compounds lifts can turn boys into advanced lifters all day long.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

In relation to the pinwheel curls and the tempo, body english and so forth; a person can use lots of body english and still never shift the weight above where its starting point is, if they don't have the necessary arm strength to do so.

So, although body english may be used, it doesn't necessarily add that much in terms of strength to the exercise and may not assist the lifter very much at all but with heavier weight you need some momentum at times to get it moving...I could sway my body all day long and still never lift that weight-load, purely because I'm not strong enough to do so...that's my point which I hope didn't get lost in translation there
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #30
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I've never done pinwheels. I have read many people loving them, but my forearms have given me issues and I have not used dumbbells in a long time. If and when I use DBs again, I plan on giving them a go.

Ab, maybe you were going for this: