Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default Benefits of Squatting with shoes that have a heel.

I noticed over the years that when I Squatted (high bar shoulder width stance to parallel) with a heeled shoe, I really felt my quads light up like a Christmas tree, but when I Squatted barefoot or with Chuck Taylor's I didn't feel it nearly as much. I noticed the quad development of Olympic lifters, and then I discovered they Squatted with heeled shoes (and front squatted). See the connection here? You get the benefits of Squatting with a raised heel without the torture on your knees that elevating your heels with a 2x4 or a plate inflicts.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Good post trevor, I have been looking into olympic lifting shoes for atg squats.

Any suggestions on a specific shoe?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Good post trevor, I have been looking into olympic lifting shoes for atg squats.

Any suggestions on a specific shoe?
I've never used the Oly shoes, but I do Squat in Crosstrainers, and the difference between them and flat soled shoes is night and day in terms of "feeling" the quads. I go flip-flops on pull day (so I can kick them off to Deadlift), and shoes on Push day.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

I have the Rogue Do-wins which a lot of guys on other forums love. They are well made and look good (black and not crazy flashy colors). I use them for front squats and power cleans/snatches. I used to squat in them exclusively but found the same thing that you did, even with low bar squats, they lit up my quads like nothing else. They also really helped with my flexibility of getting deep into the hole while staying kinda tight.

I have since really tried to revamp my squat form, and this includes ditching the shoes for chuck taylors. This is really because the shoes help with sitting down but they were pitching me forward too much when I tried to sit back.

For high bar ATG squats and front squats, they are perfect and I really recommend the Rogues. Anything wider with a shoulder width low bar back squat, flat soled chucks, vans, or nike 5.0s work amazingly for getting the hip drive and posterior chain moving.

Shoes
2011 Rogue Weightlifting Shoes

They do sell out FAST.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Alright, gotcha good to know.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Not sure I fully agree with your position or premise. With beginners especially, a healed shoe or a board will cause them to lean forward or push through the toes. This is leads to poor form and can cause injury. If your form is poor flat footed, you will only exaserbate it by lifting your heals. More advanced lifters do make use of heal lifts, as they do hit your quads in a different manner, but I would not recommend them for beginning lifters.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
AdamF
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Not sure I fully agree with your position or premise. With beginners especially, a healed shoe or a board will cause them to lean forward or push through the toes. This is leads to poor form and can cause injury. If your form is poor flat footed, you will only exaserbate it by lifting your heals. More advanced lifters do make use of heal lifts, as they do hit your quads in a different manner, but I would not recommend them for beginning lifters.
If this was directed at me. I partially agree with you. However, since the heel puts your knee at a more forward angle, which allows you to go deeper without losing back tightness. As long as you are consistently pushing through the heels using a high bar squat, it shouldn't be a huge issue.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I notice squatting without shoes gives me better form. I lean forward too far with my standard running shoes that I wear to the gym.

Too bad my gym won't allow me to lift barefoot, and I don't want to buy those silly looking Vibram Toe Shoes for $80...
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
If this was directed at me. I partially agree with you. However, since the heel puts your knee at a more forward angle, which allows you to go deeper without losing back tightness. As long as you are consistently pushing through the heels using a high bar squat, it shouldn't be a huge issue.
You make a valid point for a more advanced lifter. The kid, or adult, just starting out will have have trouble enough just trying to get down, without having to worry about working against their shoes. They should not be encouraged to use this method of squatting until they are more advanced and have their form down. That is all I am saying.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
AdamF
Brawn

Yeah, I guess you're right. I remember when I first got them I had to really make sure that I was pushing through my heels or I would dump the bar forward and eat the floor. But once I learned to sit back and push through the heels. Once I got that though, everything was fine.