Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Benefits of Squatting with shoes that have a heel. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5363)

Trevor Ross 02-03-2011 12:45 PM

Benefits of Squatting with shoes that have a heel.
 
I noticed over the years that when I Squatted (high bar shoulder width stance to parallel) with a heeled shoe, I really felt my quads light up like a Christmas tree, but when I Squatted barefoot or with Chuck Taylor's I didn't feel it nearly as much. I noticed the quad development of Olympic lifters, and then I discovered they Squatted with heeled shoes (and front squatted). See the connection here? You get the benefits of Squatting with a raised heel without the torture on your knees that elevating your heels with a 2x4 or a plate inflicts.

jwood 02-03-2011 12:47 PM

Good post trevor, I have been looking into olympic lifting shoes for atg squats.

Any suggestions on a specific shoe?

Trevor Ross 02-03-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 112951)
Good post trevor, I have been looking into olympic lifting shoes for atg squats.

Any suggestions on a specific shoe?

I've never used the Oly shoes, but I do Squat in Crosstrainers, and the difference between them and flat soled shoes is night and day in terms of "feeling" the quads. I go flip-flops on pull day (so I can kick them off to Deadlift), and shoes on Push day.

jwood 02-03-2011 01:00 PM

Alright, gotcha good to know.

AdamF 02-03-2011 01:10 PM

I have the Rogue Do-wins which a lot of guys on other forums love. They are well made and look good (black and not crazy flashy colors). I use them for front squats and power cleans/snatches. I used to squat in them exclusively but found the same thing that you did, even with low bar squats, they lit up my quads like nothing else. They also really helped with my flexibility of getting deep into the hole while staying kinda tight.

I have since really tried to revamp my squat form, and this includes ditching the shoes for chuck taylors. This is really because the shoes help with sitting down but they were pitching me forward too much when I tried to sit back.

For high bar ATG squats and front squats, they are perfect and I really recommend the Rogues. Anything wider with a shoulder width low bar back squat, flat soled chucks, vans, or nike 5.0s work amazingly for getting the hip drive and posterior chain moving.

Shoes
2011 Rogue Weightlifting Shoes

They do sell out FAST.

bamazav 02-03-2011 01:17 PM

Not sure I fully agree with your position or premise. With beginners especially, a healed shoe or a board will cause them to lean forward or push through the toes. This is leads to poor form and can cause injury. If your form is poor flat footed, you will only exaserbate it by lifting your heals. More advanced lifters do make use of heal lifts, as they do hit your quads in a different manner, but I would not recommend them for beginning lifters.

BigFiveFive 02-03-2011 01:18 PM

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m.../pumaSCats.jpg

AdamF 02-03-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 112972)
Not sure I fully agree with your position or premise. With beginners especially, a healed shoe or a board will cause them to lean forward or push through the toes. This is leads to poor form and can cause injury. If your form is poor flat footed, you will only exaserbate it by lifting your heals. More advanced lifters do make use of heal lifts, as they do hit your quads in a different manner, but I would not recommend them for beginning lifters.

If this was directed at me. I partially agree with you. However, since the heel puts your knee at a more forward angle, which allows you to go deeper without losing back tightness. As long as you are consistently pushing through the heels using a high bar squat, it shouldn't be a huge issue.

ricka182 02-03-2011 01:51 PM

I notice squatting without shoes gives me better form. I lean forward too far with my standard running shoes that I wear to the gym.

Too bad my gym won't allow me to lift barefoot, and I don't want to buy those silly looking Vibram Toe Shoes for $80...

bamazav 02-03-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamF (Post 112976)
If this was directed at me. I partially agree with you. However, since the heel puts your knee at a more forward angle, which allows you to go deeper without losing back tightness. As long as you are consistently pushing through the heels using a high bar squat, it shouldn't be a huge issue.

You make a valid point for a more advanced lifter. The kid, or adult, just starting out will have have trouble enough just trying to get down, without having to worry about working against their shoes. They should not be encouraged to use this method of squatting until they are more advanced and have their form down. That is all I am saying.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.