Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Btb and other experienced lifters evolution (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5362)

CoopDawg 02-03-2011 12:13 PM

Btb and other experienced lifters evolution

I have heard btb say serveral times he has used the same routine for 25 years with slight upgrades, i want to know what integrations he brought in to keep the gains going, im sure im not the only one curious to know how the experienced lifters keep it going

glwanabe 02-03-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoopDawg (Post 112936)
I have heard btb say serveral times he has used the same routine for 25 years with slight upgrades, i want to know what integrations he brought in to keep the gains going, im sure im not the only one curious to know how the experienced lifters keep it going

3 words.

Add more weight.

CoopDawg 02-03-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 112938)
3 words.

Add more weight.

Thats not what im meaning, im lookin for like a life story of training, but this is true

glwanabe 02-03-2011 12:28 PM

Go read this article.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...htlifting.html

jwood 02-03-2011 12:45 PM

I can give you a brief summary of my lifting life:

First, lift like an idiot, bench everyday as a teenager.
Next, learn how to squat.
After that, keep adding weight to squats vary my reps slightly
Then, Bomb out of a squat competition.
Now, reset weights and keep squatting

Moral of the story, keep things simple, squat, and add weight.

Carl1174 02-03-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 112938)
3 words.

Add more weight.

3 more words

Or more Reps

carl.

BendtheBar 02-03-2011 01:02 PM

Hi Coop.

My mentor started me with a basic system for each lift:

--2 sets of 4-6 reps
--2 sets of 6-10 reps
--2 sets of 12-15 reps

He was a split guy, so the last 2 sets were isolation moves.

Initially I did 2 of these patterns for each major muscle group, and one for each smaller muscle group. Everything was raw progression, stopping short of failure. when I could hit the top rep limit for each 2-set pairing, I added weight.

I used this for 18 months, from 1986 to 1987. In 1987 I decided that Arnold might be smarter than my mentor so I switched to a 3-on, 1-off system of push pull legs that used the above template.

I ran the "Arnold variation" for 3 months but it destroyed my lower back and my shoulders, so I reverted to my old split.

I used this same split until 2007, though from 1989 forward I started to use fewer and fewer isolation lifts. I hated most of them. Flyes and laterals just irritated my shoulders, and more than that, I liked ramming heavy weight.

Before 2007 I didn't deadlift. But I did do rack pulls from below the knee. I actually used them for my lower back, and was completely ignorant about deadlifts in general.

My "evolutions" were small...adding new lifts here and there like close grip benches.

I used 4 primary chest lifts...dumbbell and barbell bench...incline and flat. Shoulders were dumbbell and barbell press. Triceps were dips and overhead dumbbell extensions. Back were dumbbell rows and t-bars. Legs were squats and leg press.

I slowly weeded out rear laterals, flyes, leg extensions, laterals, lat pull downs (very early - 1986, I hated them).

I lived for progression.

Over time the total number of sets I did also "evolved" to fewer and fewer, and I eventually dropped all sets with 10+ reps. Sets evolved to only doing 12 per workout, 6 sets max per major body part each week.

I learned less is more, many isolations weren't needed, etc.

From 2007 on I played a bit.

In late 2007 I ran a Westside variation, and then a powerlifting periodized 6 week cycle than I designed myself. I started using box squats and deadlifts at this time. I could only deadlift 365 and was pathetic. My 6 week cycle bumped my deadlift up 50 pounds and I fell in love with the lift.

I explored my own merging of Max-Stim and DC Training in 2008, called Bulldozer Training. I ran this nearly the entire year. During 2008 I moved away from powerlifting because I tore my left shoulder at work, completely non-lifting related. I trained through the tear, starting with a 135 bench and ending at a 275 max 6 months later.

In 2009 I dabbled quite a bit with Hepburn's methods, and "just played", trying different things because I could. My max potential for size and strength was about exhausted.

I have also tried some Heavy Duty workouts, German Volume training workouts, etc.

CoopDawg 02-03-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 112964)
Hi Coop.

My mentor started me with a basic system for each lift:

--2 sets of 4-6 reps
--2 sets of 6-10 reps
--2 sets of 12-15 reps

He was a split guy, so the last 2 sets were isolation moves.

Initially I did 2 of these patterns for each major muscle group, and one for each smaller muscle group. Everything was raw progression, stopping short of failure. when I could hit the top rep limit for each 2-set pairing, I added weight.

I used this for 18 months, from 1986 to 1987. In 1987 I decided that Arnold might be smarter than my mentor so I switched to a 3-on, 1-off system of push pull legs that used the above template.

I ran the "Arnold variation" for 3 months but it destroyed my lower back and my shoulders, so I reverted to my old split.

I used this same split until 2007, though from 1989 forward I started to use fewer and fewer isolation lifts. I hated most of them. Flyes and laterals just irritated my shoulders, and more than that, I liked ramming heavy weight.

Before 2007 I didn't deadlift. But I did do rack pulls from below the knee. I actually used them for my lower back, and was completely ignorant about deadlifts in general.

My "evolutions" were small...adding new lifts here and there like close grip benches.

I used 4 primary chest lifts...dumbbell and barbell bench...incline and flat. Shoulders were dumbbell and barbell press. Triceps were dips and overhead dumbbell extensions. Back were dumbbell rows and t-bars. Legs were squats and leg press.

I slowly weeded out rear laterals, flyes, leg extensions, laterals, lat pull downs (very early - 1986, I hated them).

I lived for progression.

Over time the total number of sets I did also "evolved" to fewer and fewer, and I eventually dropped all sets with 10+ reps. Sets evolved to only doing 12 per workout, 6 sets max per major body part each week.

I learned less is more, many isolations weren't needed, etc.

From 2007 on I played a bit.

In late 2007 I ran a Westside variation, and then a powerlifting periodized 6 week cycle than I designed myself. I started using box squats and deadlifts at this time. I could only deadlift 365 and was pathetic. My 6 week cycle bumped my deadlift up 50 pounds and I fell in love with the lift.

I explored my own merging of Max-Stim and DC Training in 2008, called Bulldozer Training. I ran this nearly the entire year. During 2008 I moved away from powerlifting because I tore my left shoulder at work, completely non-lifting related. I trained through the tear, starting with a 135 bench and ending at a 275 max 6 months later.

In 2009 I dabbled quite a bit with Hepburn's methods, and "just played", trying different things because I could. My max potential for size and strength was about exhausted.

I have also tried some Heavy Duty workouts, German Volume training workouts, etc.

This is a great story, thanks btb, this shows just progressing in reps and weight will make one grow

recarp82 02-03-2011 02:32 PM

when i first started it was for a bench pressing competition my wrestling coach was doing in high school.the it progressed to basically arms and chest and that was about it through high school.it wasnt until after i got out of the army that i got a training partner who played college football that i started to get my stuff together.
then in 95 or 96 i trained with rich gaspari for a week and that pretty much changed everything.

Trevor Ross 02-05-2011 05:28 PM

-Year 2003.
-Started Bodyweight training, then noticed skinny legs.
-Talked to co-worker (former Powerlifter).
-I got told "Squat like man".
-Got taught "man lifts".
-Did Upper/Lower split, got big and strong.
-Luck with ladies improved 100%. See connection?
-Had knee and back injury, shelved eight months.
-Therapist sucked.
-"Experts" told not to train, surgery only option.
-Met and started violating wife.
-I said "UGH", picked up where I left off.
-Learned Squats heal. (the reason I can walk and not cry like man baby)
-Got big and strong again.
-Started bodypart split routine.
-Not big, not strong.
-Bought house.
-Married wife.
-Did Westside Barbell method.
-Got huge! Got bull elephant strong!!
-Got hurt lots too, had to try something else.
-Did 3x3 Big three workout.
-Got stronger, not much bigger.
-Did Fullbody routine.
-Got a little bigger, got strong AND leaner.
-Had "little me".
-Had "parental" layoff.
-During layoff, got Personal Trainer Certificate, just because.
-Wanted to Upper/Lower again, decided to read book instead.
-Decided on Push/Pull, makes more sense then Upper/Lower.
-Getting back what I lost during layoff.
-Having second "little me".
-Joined Muscle and Brawn forum.
-Started 1st log.
-Having the most fun I've had in years.
-Kept wife.