Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Deload Schmeload

Deload Schmeload.

Are you deloading or taking a break?

Deloading is a dual factor training principle. Correct me if I'm wrong. Dual factor training has you pushing until you overextend or overreach, and then you take a deload to allow your fatigue to improve while your fitness remains, so that you come back stronger.

Performance = Fitness - Fatigue.

You take it to overreaching, improving your fitness, but also your fatigue increases. Deloading allows you to retain your fitness while reducing fatigue, so that you perform better after the deload.

Deloading doesn't have to be planned. It also isn't beneficial to arbitrarily plan a deload after a random period of time. A deload really isn't a deload if you aren't fatigued or overreeaching. It's merely a break.

Nothing wrong with a training break. There is a difference between deloading and taking an easy week because it seems like a good time. Just wanted to point that out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-31-2011 at 11:57 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
#Maverick#
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn
Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

yea but im dealing with a bronchitis and a sprained forward delt from when i tried snow boarding, it was minor but then i was pressing and it aggravatted
#Maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Maverick# View Post
yea but im dealing with a bronchitis and a sprained forward delt from when i tried snow boarding, it was minor but then i was pressing and it aggravatted
That's a wise break.

My post was meant to start a conversation about what a deload really means.

Again, nothing wrong with breaks. But in my wiring, a deload is a dual factor training principle.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
#Maverick#
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn

#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

yea man i hate them. i hate it i might do some light rotator cuff and front delt work to stretch it out a bit. i dont really have any idea how to approach a delt sprain
Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Sprain or strain?

The few sprains I've had left the area weak. Best I could do was rest them.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
#Maverick#
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn

its a strain my bad, sprains refer to joints
Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Dual factor stuff like most of the Latin confuses me.

As for deload, rather than dropping the weight, I prefer to have people try something different. If you stall on back squats, try front squats. If you stall on deadlifts, try rows. Etc.

This gives your body a break from the thing that was stressing you too much, while still working you. And you return later to the other exercise refreshed.

Of course it would be different if my people were squatting 200kg or something.

Last edited by Kyle Aaron; 02-01-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Kyle Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
TBtaylor52
LG Science Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 1,397, Level: 20 Points: 1,397, Level: 20 Points: 1,397, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Lipotropic Protein
TBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality posts

Resting this week. I got a upper respiratory infection along with a strained back.. Good decision hopefully
TBtaylor52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Deload Schmeload.

Are you deloading or taking a break?

Deloading is a dual factor training principle. Correct me if I'm wrong. Dual factor training has you pushing until you overextend or overreach, and then you take a deload to allow your fatigue to improve while your fitness remains, so that you come back stronger.

Performance = Fitness - Fatigue.

You take it to overreaching, improving your fitness, but also your fatigue increases. Deloading allows you to retain your fitness while reducing fatigue, so that you perform better after the deload.

Deloading doesn't have to be planned. It also isn't beneficial to arbitrarily plan a deload after a random period of time. A deload really isn't a deload if you aren't fatigued or overreeaching. It's merely a break.

Nothing wrong with a training break. There is a difference between deloading and taking an easy week because it seems like a good time. Just wanted to point that out.
Interesting point, makes sense though...borderline overtrain/overreach and then back off basically??

I just take a solid break but if I'd tried a deload I would have had it all wrong given the context of the above.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

A FAVOURITE topic auf mine. I NEED to chime in.

Deloading is a tool for dual factor training but not absolutely a part of the theory.

The DF Theory (thx zatsjorski and sorry if i spell u wrong wise old russian guy)
states u got 2 effects after training:
Fatigue and fitness.
After some time the fatigue masks the fitness-so u deload or taper to let this fatigue go away.
Its stated that fitness last 3x as long as fatigue-thats why there is the classic 3 weeks loading or hard training, and 1 week deload paradigma.
3:1.
Thats it.

You build up fatigue with every programm. There is also no "Dual Factor Programm" or a "Supercompensation theory" programm-thats bull.

That are only theories to explain how fatigue and fitness are influencing each other.

Based on the theory you can plan your training.

So from the guidlines-which are quite logical:

-Deload or tapers have a duration of 1-4 weeks with 2 weeks the average.

-The longer the loading period the longer or the more drastic the deload will and SHOULD last and be(concentrated loading)

-An immedately taper is better than a step tapper (so u reduce the load in a sudden not step wise)

-Its advicable to reduce the volume but remain frequency (the protein synthesis stuff which means that after 72 hours it goes down to normal again-so reducing frequency is not (always) key)

-Volume reduction is best. again depending on the previous load employed and can range from 50%-90% with 60% the sweet spot in normal cases

-Remain the intensity or increase it. intensity is regarded as the main stimulus to remain and spur gains. Donīt go ever than 10% under the weights u worked with. Except for 1 week. Better reduce the volume than intensity.

-Excpect performance increases about 2-7% after a taper or deload

So summed up NOT SET IN STONE BUT A USEFUL GUIDELINE:

-Deload for 2 weeks
-Reduce volume by 60%
-Reduce intensity by 10%.

-The rest depends on the individual

hope that helps guys.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote