Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
lurker
New Brawn
Points: 2,267, Level: 28 Points: 2,267, Level: 28 Points: 2,267, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: dark matter
lurker is new to the forumlurker is new to the forum
Default did my first full body today. . .

well, today i started up full body again. when i first started training, i did full body for about 2 months. i consider this my first full body cause before i was just kinda shootin from the hip with exercises, no particular routine, not really going anywhere, just kinda workin out. i ended up getting sucked in the typical four day split for the next 8 or 9 months. i did see gains but not as good as i thought i could have gotten. so today i started a full body routine. workout looked like so and was performed in this order. . .

squat 1x20
bent rows 3x10
mil press 3x10
bench 3x8
bb curl 3x8
bench dips 4x10
bb calf raise 3x15

overall the workout went great. the week before last i had a stomach bug and than had 3 wisdom teeth pulled out. needless to say, i took that week off from training. last week i got back into it light in preperation for this week. anyways, first few sets went great, i used a weight that was challenging but not really going to kill me. by the time i got to bench, i could barely do my warm up weight for all sets. bb curls i was pretty weak as well. i feel the workout went great except for the fact i underestimated how taxing it was. i plan on not doing squats on wednesday and doing dead lifts instead, and on friday back to squats but changing bent rows to pull ups. just wanted to speak out a little and say thanks to BTB for pointing me in the right direction with the full work out. hopefully as i get adjusted i can complete my lifts a little better and not be so wiped out
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Nice squat set. The 1x20 is no joke.

Twice a week with a 1x20, split by DL's is a solid combo. Rock it,
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
lurker
New Brawn

yeah my squat weight is real low right now. i havent been squatting and im not comfortable enough with my form to really pick up weight yet. personally i feel good form is more important than heavy weight. im gettin there though
Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Good form is important, especially with squats.

When I was getting back to squatting, I stayed real light at 135lbs, and squatted 4x week for 3x10. It was just enough weight to provide some resistance, and it started to bring conditioning back.

I've had to climb back out the hole several times in my life with my lifting. It gets both easier, and harder at the same time. The weights get harder, but getting after it gets easier.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
just wanted to speak out a little and say thanks to BTB for pointing me in the right direction with the full work out. hopefully as i get adjusted i can complete my lifts a little better and not be so wiped out
My pleasure lurker. Glad to help.

I might suggest trying squats last once or twice, if you feel that you can hold off until the end that is. Squats really tax me and I find that I am better able to focus on my other lifts if I do squats last.

You may find that performing squats after being fatigued is too much to handle. Or it might help.

In either case, keep up the good work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
lurker
New Brawn

now i dont feel so bad lol. i started off today at 100x20 and felt like the weight amount was pathetic. but i really feel if i stay light for a few sessions and improve my form, ill be able to move up in weight much quicker than if i threw a whole crap load of weight on there and forced myself to do it. im really concentrating on the whole movement now and can feel my form improving every time
Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
now i dont feel so bad lol. i started off today at 100x20 and felt like the weight amount was pathetic. but i really feel if i stay light for a few sessions and improve my form, ill be able to move up in weight much quicker than if i threw a whole crap load of weight on there and forced myself to do it. im really concentrating on the whole movement now and can feel my form improving every time
Think of how many people didn't even do that!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
There are no pathetic 20 rep squat sets. In fact, there are no pathetic squat sets.

If it makes you feel any better, my squat max is 500 and I started with 20 rep squats at 200 pounds. I worked to 235x20 over 6 weeks and that was about all I could hang with before wanting a break.

All that matters is progression, and it doesn't need to be rapid. One extra rep each week is 52 reps a year, which adds up to substantial gains in both size and strength.

You will be successful as long as you stay persistent and just try to do a hair more each workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

That's a lot of exercises. haha I usually do 2-3 on my training days...sometimes 4 if I'm feeling particularly energetic.

Nice work.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Great work getting in to the full body mate, it has completely rejuvenated mylifting tbh. Just make sure that you done rush in to adding too much weight too soon. This of the week as the complete session which you want to finish, and not the usual just get through each day mentality which is imbred in the split idea.

Take it steady, work with lower weights than you would normally (about 50% is a good place to start) and build up very slowly. Like BtB said just one rep per week is over 50 reps exra a year and if you can increase 1lb per week weight your squat, rows, presses and bench will have gone up a staggering amount in the same year

baby-steps buddy

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote