Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Muscle Building Pet peeves (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5308)

BendtheBar 01-25-2011 01:32 PM

Muscle Building Pet peeves

What are your biggest muscle building pet peeves?

Which practices, myths or beliefs annoy you to no end?

BendtheBar 01-25-2011 01:33 PM

My biggest pet peeve by far is the belief you need to switch routines every 8 weeks or you will die.

Day in and day out I have to field the same question over and over again:

Quote:

I've been on this program for 8 weeks. Which program should I do next so that gains don't stop?
Want to confuse the body? Add more reps and weight next time.

bigtim27 01-25-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 110618)
My biggest pet peeve by far is the belief you need to switch routines every 8 weeks or you will die.

Day in and day out I have to field the same question over and over again:

Want to confuse the body? Add more reps and weight next time.

Sorry Steve, I,myself have been guilty of asking that same question up until this past year.

BendtheBar 01-25-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtim27 (Post 110619)
Sorry Steve, I,myself have been guilty of asking that same question up until this past year.

Hey, that's ok BT. I am not being hard on those that ask.

It's just a myth perpetuated in this industry, and is not a viable or needed approach unless you take steroids or are an advanced lifter after more strength.

I have no grudge against those that ask. They can't control the information they are given. It simply annoys me that this bodybuilding magazine-style nonsense keeps rolling down the assembly line each and every day.

It confuses people. They start believing they have to dump squats after 8 weeks and replace it with X or gains will stop.

My only beef is with magazines and trainers who speak to naturals using approaches and theories that aren't needed for naturals.

I am talking strictly in terms of muscle building here. Strength training can be more complicated because you can still see strength gains once muscle building all but stops.

bigtim27 01-25-2011 02:00 PM

There is sooooo much conflicting information out there it is enough to drive anyone mad. Most stuff in magazines are geared toward selling more supplements. Add to that all the crazy nutritional information that is passed along and it's enough to make one's head spin. Thats why I'm loving the Reeves Classic. Those old timers got lean and strong with hardwork and if it worked back then why wouldn't it work today? Our bodies haven't adapted and evolved in the last 50 years that I know of. With the internet now you can find TOO much info on things and you ended up going in circles. I know first hand.

MC 01-25-2011 02:07 PM

The idea that if your muscles are not sore after each and every workout, that you didn't work them hard enough to gain either size or strength.

Carl1174 01-25-2011 02:08 PM

squatting is bad for the knees.... argh :mad:

Carl.

bigtim27 01-25-2011 02:09 PM

Lunk alarms

BendtheBar 01-25-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtim27 (Post 110623)
There is sooooo much conflicting information out there it is enough to drive anyone mad. Most stuff in magazines are geared toward selling more supplements. Add to that all the crazy nutritional information that is passed along and it's enough to make one's head spin. Thats why I'm loving the Reeves Classic. Those old timers got lean and strong with hardwork and if it worked back then why wouldn't it work today? Our bodies haven't adapted and evolved in the last 50 years that I know of. With the internet now you can find TOO much info on things and you ended up going in circles. I know first hand.

You hit many nails on the head.

The Internet age is only making things more complicated because everything needs to be different to stand out. And to make sales improve or gather attention, many scream fire in a crowded theater to gather attention.

Lifting is really simple for naturals. Stick with a good exercise selection, progress in weight, evolve your training around your body and specific needs. Eat primarily clean and get enough protein. Stay persistent.

Do this for several years and you will make great gains.

Way too many OCD lifters being created who are scared into believing that a magic system of whatever exists, and that without learning everything under the sun they will fail.

Sure, fine tuning is needed is you're going to be a competitive athlete - bodybuilder or powerlifter - but if you just want to look good and build muscle you don't need to go OCD. You certainly can if that's what you enjoy! I would never rip on anyone for that. No way. Lifting is fun and many enjoy the details.

BendtheBar 01-25-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 110628)
The idea that if your muscles are not sore after each and every workout, that you didn't work them hard enough to gain either size or strength.

This is a good one. The natural extension of this is to beat a muscle so badly that it does get sore, but in the process you pummel your connective tissue and joints into submission.