Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

You can't get an aerobic workout lifting weights.

My heart and circulation system can't tell the difference between my running up stairs and doing high rep squats.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post

My heart and circulation system can't tell the difference between my running up stairs and doing high rep squats.
Amen to that. My wife has that train of thought. Unless you are running wind sprints you aren't really doing cardio.
bigtim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post

You must have a spy microphone in my home gym. I am always talking to my wife about this myth. I usually mention it 7 minutes after a 20 rep squat or deadlift set when I still can't breath...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

You shouldn't do cardio while bulking.

Look, I know you are looking for every ounce you can get, but when would it ever be a good idea to pack on 15-25 pounds and not train your circulatory system to effectively work with the new mass?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
You shouldn't do cardio while bulking.

Look, I know you are looking for every ounce you can get, but when would it ever be a good idea to pack on 15-25 pounds and not train your circulatory system to effectively work with the new mass?
That's another good one.

I played basketball for 4 to 6 hours a week while making my largest gains in college. As long as you're eating enough you're good to go.

Cardio is rarely the issue, in my opinion. I think 9 times out of 10 someone who isn't gaining isn't training hard enough or eating properly.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-25-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

The myth that women will develop BIG muscles if they lift anything that looks remotely heavier than a powder puff.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think 9 times out of 10 someone who isn't gaining isn't training hard enough or eating properly.
The more I think about it, the more I think nutrition is the hardest part.

Some foods are deceptively nutritionally dense, while others are not. Examples would be nuts (dense) and spinach (not dense).

The idea that 1/3 cup of mixed nuts or a tablespoon of olive oil have more calories than a large bag of spinach can be really hard to grasp.

I chuckle when I co-worker says, "Oh, have one cookie. It's only ONE." and I say, yeah, but its 250 calories.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
The myth that women will develop BIG muscles if they lift anything that looks remotely heavier than a powder puff.
I just dealt with this question about 10 minutes ago. As I say to my wife, many women fear that if they lift once they will wake up looking like Arnold, and many men fear that if they eat one calorie more than maintenance they will wake up weighing 300 pounds.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think nutrition is the hardest part.

Some foods are deceptively nutritionally dense, while others are not. Examples would be nuts (dense) and spinach (not dense).

The idea that 1/3 cup of mixed nuts or a tablespoon of olive oil have more calories than a large bag of spinach can be really hard to grasp.

I chuckle when I co-worker says, "Oh, have one cookie. It's only ONE." and I say, yeah, but its 250 calories.
Along with this many people believe that "eating healthy" is good enough when trying to build muscle. "Eating healthy" is such a vaporous and generic phrase and usually implies a McDonald's salad for lunch, or something similar. It also usually involves purchasing products at the store that are "fat free" or "sugar free" or "10% lower whatever.".

I don't think most people understand how to eat healthy and eat enough to gain. And I don't think "eating healthy" is really healthy eating, 9 times out of 10...

Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #20
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Along with this many people believe that "eating healthy" is good enough when trying to build muscle. "Eating healthy" is such a vaporous and generic phrase and usually implies a McDonald's salad for lunch, or something similar. It also usually involves purchasing products at the store that are "fat free" or "sugar free" or "10% lower whatever.".

I don't think most people understand how to eat healthy and eat enough to gain. And I don't think "eating healthy" is really healthy eating, 9 times out of 10...
The other hard part for me is lack of variety. I have literally eaten the same things wake-up to leaving work, Monday-Friday since November. I have a little variety with meat choice for dinner, its basically steak/fish/chicken with fresh green veggies and a baked sweet potato.

This is boring, but it's a way to make sure that I am eating the same amount of calories most of the time. It also makes it easier to cut or adjust calories, as I just swap in/out entire meals.

So, I guess that myth would be that you can eat whatever you want with tons of variety and gain/lose weight.

I no longer believe this. The people I know who have gotten massive or leaned the heck out eat the same thing OVER and OVER.