Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member
Default Squats - High versus Low bar

Which are you using?

High Bar Back Squats
or
Low Bar Back Squats

I have been doing high bar squats since I started. Wondering if it would be worth my time to begin working on low bar squats.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Which are you using?

High Bar Back Squats
or
Low Bar Back Squats

I have been doing high bar squats since I started. Wondering if it would be worth my time to begin working on low bar squats.
I did high bars for about 20 years. In fact, I did them too high. I didn't know any better. Call it pre-internet ignorance.

I moved to low, low bar squats in 2007, but because of my bulk (fat and muscle size), my shoulders took a beating - as in shoulder strains that hindered bench and pressing work. I read and read and read that this would improve with time and stretching, but it didn't. It got far worse.

For at least 6 month I had to search for a way to squat...I tried Draper's Top Squat, and that didn't work well. I finally purchased a buffalo bar and that solved my issues.

My opinion is that bar position should first be based on shoulders and how easy it is to squat relative to your bulk. If getting your arms back into position is a strain, keep it high. If not, move it down.

I squat with the bar under my traps and it works great and feels great. Jslep (Jason from the forum) can vouch for me - with the bar in this position my form is dead nuts; straight up and down flawlessly like a piston.

While I have read all the information and arguments, squatting comes down to one thing for me - making it feel as natural as possible. I am not talking about how the bar feels on your back here. I am talking about the descent. A squat is a natural lift. It should feel natural. I want a trainee to use a bar position that allows the squat to feel natural to them.

Too many times we land lock ourselves with form tweaks, and actually remove the natural feel from a lift, turning it into a clunky and unnatural, and as a result a somewhat dangerous lift. Now I am not advocating recklessness in any way. What I am advocating is listening to your body when dialing in form and trying new things.

Lastly, small tweaks in squat form can have a huge impact on soreness and can be dangerous. Be careful! When I tried to widen my stance too quickly (using heavy weight) I strained my hamstrings week in and week out. If you do try something new, for Heaven's sake don't do it with monster weight.

Use a moderate weight, find a natural feel, and slowly build weight and allow your body to adjust.

I hope I have made some sense here. I have said a lot, but not given much direction. The squat should feel natural. Keep the bar off your neck and spine. As long as the descent and ascent feel natural, you are good to go.

Try lowering the bar below the traps ONLY if it doesn't mess up your shoulders and ONLY with a moderate weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-20-2011 at 08:05 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I have been doing high bar because that is where the bar just naturally fell. My form is good. The few times I have tried low bar it just felt uncomfortable and difficult to hold. You made some great points which help much. I was just thinking about my training and progress and wondering about bar position. Guess the concern was would the high bar hold me back as the weights go up. As you know, the difficulty with training alone is that you have no one to check or help with form. Thus the question.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Can you video yourself squatting at all?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Can you video yourself squatting at all?
I will give a shot at it on Monday, when I have more time. It is my off day so I don't have to push through my session.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I would try them low and see how they feel. As long as they feel good you should be fine.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

im not sur which i do, may be high i have a groove the bar lays in/on
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

My are fairly high, but it just feels right there. i have tried lowering the bar, but i have shoulder issues that made it uncomfortable. I think as long as you are squatting with good form then bar placement is more of an individual thing. The main thing is to have the bar travelling straght up and down. because I place the bar quite high it means i have a relitively upright torso, but Like i said as long as the bar is going straight up and down (and i had a video checked by BtB to make sure) then its all good.

carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Depends on your goals and your stance. High bar close stance is more quad dominant. Low bar wide stance is more posterior chain dominant. I use high bar shoulder width stance.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

I've been "medium bar" squatting ever since I picked up a barbell. I'm trying to train myself to arch more and stay more upright, so I'm sticking with a higher bar placement until I get that down, as lower bar placement causes you to lean even more.

Whatever works for you! There are plenty of OLY lifters with HUGE squat numbers that squat high bar.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote