Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Training While Cutting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5176)

andys_trim 01-18-2011 03:03 PM

Training While Cutting

I was sitting on my throne this morning when I began to think about my training. I am currently cutting and just like every other weightlifting Joe Schmo, that actually has goals, I want to, "maximize fat loss while maintaining maximum muscle mass and strength gains I have made." But the question came to mind, am I going about it the right way?

It is proven that strength gains are made in working sets of 6 reps or less, and the muscle building window is 8 to 12 reps. Is training to maintain muscle and strength the same as training to build it? We would all love to make great muscle and strength gains while losing weight. But for about 99.875% of us, this will not happen. So if we keep our basic training philosophy this same when cutting as we do when we are bulking, with a little more intensity added in while cutting, we should see results we want. Right?

I am writing this because of the countless number of idiots that come up to me and say that I will never lose weight unless I go light weight and heavy reps. The more I try to explain that lifting heavy elevates your heart rate, the more stupid they think I am. It doesn't make sense to me. Do some research before you come up and talk to someone that actually has.

Abaddon 01-18-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys_trim (Post 108214)
It is proven that strength gains are made in working sets of 6 reps or less, and the muscle building window is 8 to 12 reps. Is training to maintain muscle and strength the same as training to build it? We would all love to make great muscle and strength gains while losing weight. But for about 99.875% of us, this will not happen. So if we keep our basic training philosophy this same when cutting as we do when we are bulking, with a little more intensity added in while cutting, we should see results we want. Right?

Hey Andy, I think based on the emboldened statement, this thread is worth a read.
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...ld-muscle.html

dmaipa 01-18-2011 03:12 PM

I'd say to keep up with the training you are doing Andy. when it comes down to cutting from what I'm learning is diet. Keep with the training that built the muscle you got now.

andys_trim 01-18-2011 03:14 PM

I wasn't saying it is the only way, but generally accepted. I love training low reps, I just like it better. But during this cut, I'm going to incorporate equal numbers of low and high rep sets and see if I can reach the goals I have set for myself. I put on a lot of muscle using low reps, but 8 to 12 reps might be just as effective for a lot of people.

BendtheBar 01-18-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys_trim (Post 108214)
So if we keep our basic training philosophy this same when cutting as we do when we are bulking, with a little more intensity added in while cutting, we should see results we want. Right?

You are right Andy. Training stays the same regardless of goal. A common mistake is "letting up" when cutting. You have to provide your body with every incentive to retain muscle when cutting.

Cutting is primarily about diet. Cardio gets ramped based on needs. Strength generally goes slightly as you approach "uber ripped", but you should be able to maintain quite a bit, or most, unless you are dropping into that zone.

Regarding reps...I recommend 5 to 12 for most hypertrophy needs. Lower reps can build muscle, as can higher reps. It's all about the progression. But if your goal is muscle building, there's not much sense straying outside of 5 to 12 reps for most compound lifts, excluding squats.

Isolation lifts I generally recommend 8 to 15 rep sets generally because they tend to get sloppy when heavy weight is forced, so low reps doesn't always work well because you are using a heavier weight. Mileage may vary.

andys_trim 01-18-2011 03:17 PM

Thanks BTB. I was just seeing what everyone thinks because I don't see the sense in completely changing your training philosophy during a cut. I just see people doing all sorts of crazy things because they think it will make the fat come off faster and it just makes me scratch my head.

BendtheBar 01-18-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys_trim (Post 108222)
Thanks BTB. I was just seeing what everyone thinks because I don't see the sense in completely changing your training philosophy during a cut. I just see people doing all sorts of crazy things because they think it will make the fat come off faster and it just makes me scratch my head.

You made a wise analysis.

Going light during a cut is about the worst thing you can do.

bamazav 01-18-2011 03:57 PM

I have never bought the high rep to lose junk. I lost most of mine doing between 5 and 10 reps, usually 5. What I did was lower my rest times and worked faster. I kept pushing the weight, did not go to failure, but seldom rested more than 30 seconds between sets. The point made earlier about diet is spot on. 90% of your success is going to be dependent upon how successful you are in the kitchen.

andys_trim 01-18-2011 05:22 PM

For me, low reps get my heart beating which burns calories. That along with good diet and some cardio should burn the fat away

recarp82 01-18-2011 05:46 PM

i switched from 5x5 to a 8-12 reps since i started cutting.