Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #21
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Im liking this thread!! I think Kyles approach is very good!!

I was on Rippetoes one for a while, just came of it

Session A
Squats 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Session B
Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5
Powercleans 5x3

So week one is ABA, next week is BAB ect.

In 3 months including a deload and form work added 66lbs to my deadlift, and almost as much to my squat.

Was hard work, but it works. If they dont want to do powercleans, bent over rows would be ok, but ideally powercleans .

But this relies a lot on taking the time to learn the lifts properly, eating big and so on. If they can do this, then its a good approach IMO.

Each session I added 5lb to my squat, so +15lb per week on squats (unless it was a deload, or was taking the time to perfect my form). Deadlifts was +10lb per session, again unless I was deloading or working on form.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

It does make sense in principle, Steve, but in practice newbies are going to ignore stickied threads, and when we say, "try this general workout, here's the link -" they won't click on the link, or if they do they'll say, "yeah but -" because everyone is a special individual unique snowflake who needs their own special individual unique personalised routine totally different to everyone else.

So we'll just end up responding in detail to everyone anyway
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
It does make sense in principle, Steve, but in practice newbies are going to ignore stickied threads, and when we say, "try this general workout, here's the link -" they won't click on the link, or if they do they'll say, "yeah but -" because everyone is a special individual unique snowflake who needs their own special individual unique personalised routine totally different to everyone else.

That is true mate!!!

They could also think them and their friends know better and just curl all the time .

But I do like the idea of having a few beginner workouts stickied, I think it would be valuable

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
because everyone is a special individual unique snowflake who needs their own special individual unique personalised routine totally different to everyone else.

I do it as it is anyway.

I need them more for me, and for others. So instead of pulling a magic rabbit out, I can pull the same rabbit out.

I don't care about unique snowflakes. We're not that type of forum. If folks want to come here and curl for 18 sets 3 times a week, I don't care. But I don't pander to those types of lifters.

I am doing this not for them, but for me.

Full speed ahead. Those who get on board get on board. Those that don't, don't. I know full well the percentages. I handled over 5000 beginner questions last year. 98% didn't listen, 1% did for a couple weeks. The last percent I have built relationships with, and several of them have competed for the first time in 2010.

The ship is taking off. I can only pilot it. I care not who's on board, because I can't control that.

I am not here to save those that don't want to be saved. I am here to mentor those that do...and they are usually easy to find.

Onward we go...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-21-2011 at 09:54 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Im no expert, but I will help when I can. Im aboard.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #26
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

I think a light day every wednesday would be very useful once the working weights start getting close to 1-1.5xBW for squats and deadlifts. When I did SS I made swell progress right up until just shy of 300lbs which was then about 1.5xBW, after that I believe I had my first run in with overtraining, and instead of deloading, I just threw in a light day of olympic squats just to get some blood flowing and have a change of pace. After a few weeks I was back to making progress and I definitely owe it to that light day. Was much better for recovery for both body and mind.

Cliffs: Light day on wednesday after weight starts creeping towards 1.5xBW.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #27
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What are your thoughts on the following base structures:

Structure 1

Monday - Squats
Wednesday - Deadlifts
Friday - Squats

Structure 1

(Week 1)
Monday - Squats
Wednesday - Deadlifts
Friday - Squats

(Week 2)
Monday - Deadlifts
Wednesday - Squats
Friday - Deadlifts

I guess the questions become:

1) Do you, or should you deadlift more than once per week?
2) Is squatting about every 5 days enough on this style of lifting?

My choice would be to squat twice a week, and deadlift once a week...so structure A. I think a beginner to early intermediate could handle deadlifting twice a week, but in the end I would rather see a great squat frequency.

With that said, I like both structures enough to think they are viable.
I think the first structure is good. I'm finding that frequent squatting (not always heavy) makes it easier on my legs. When I was on Wendler's, I was squatting once every eight or nine days. My legs were always sore after squatting. Now, when I'm squatting 3x/week, there's no caryover soreness.

More to your questions though. No, I don't think its necessary for a beginner to squat more than once a week. They may be able to do it for a couple of months, but will soon have to cut back to once a week anyway. Once a week starting with 10 pound increments, and moving to 5 pounds when that slows down (about 1.5xBW). As far as squat frequency, I say the more the better, but only one progression per week.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Last edited by big valsalva; 01-24-2011 at 12:03 AM.
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #28
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

This thread might have died a bit, but it inspired me to learn about lifting in general, so I want to contribute.

As I have flung dumbells about for years, but now have learned some basic sense. How about this routine for a beginner/novice?

MWF:
A squat of some sort (back, front, jefferson, whatever)
A power move (cleans, snatches)
A horizontal press (bench, DB bench)
A vertical press (OH, BNP, etc. )
A horizontal pull (BB rows, T ROws, etc.)
A vertical pull (pullups, chinups, etc.)
A deadlift (stiff, snatch grip, rounded back, etc.)
A few finishers as needed

A squat is back, front, goblet, whatever
A power move is a clean or a snatch of some sort, or a piece of said move.
A horizontal press is a bench or incline, etc.
A vertical press is an OH lift of some sort
A horizontal pull is a row of some kind
A vertical pull is some form of chinup
A deadlift is just that.
Finishers: Dips, Pushups, Inverted rows, Stiff Deads, etc.

3x week and thank you very much. Eat gobs of protein, and when you are Mr. Universe, make the check out to Mike Martin.

You're welcome.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
This thread might have died a bit, but it inspired me to learn about lifting in general, so I want to contribute.

As I have flung dumbells about for years, but now have learned some basic sense. How about this routine for a beginner/novice?

MWF:
A squat of some sort (back, front, jefferson, whatever)
A power move (cleans, snatches)
A horizontal press (bench, DB bench)
A vertical press (OH, BNP, etc. )
A horizontal pull (BB rows, T ROws, etc.)
A vertical pull (pullups, chinups, etc.)
A deadlift (stiff, snatch grip, rounded back, etc.)
A few finishers as needed

A squat is back, front, goblet, whatever
A power move is a clean or a snatch of some sort, or a piece of said move.
A horizontal press is a bench or incline, etc.
A vertical press is an OH lift of some sort
A horizontal pull is a row of some kind
A vertical pull is some form of chinup
A deadlift is just that.
Finishers: Dips, Pushups, Inverted rows, Stiff Deads, etc.

3x week and thank you very much. Eat gobs of protein, and when you are Mr. Universe, make the check out to Mike Martin.

You're welcome.
Me and GL have been working on this quite a bit behind the scenes.

Every read Dan John's book? He lays out a program similar to this, though I would have to look it up...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #30
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Did I read his book?!? I practically have it memorized! I basically plagarized it posting this routine! (I meant to attribute it when I posted, but just forgot to) I'm basing my next cycle of training of his lifting philosophy. This is the template I intend to use.

Very powerful book for me. Seems to fit what I want out of a routine perfectly. I love the balance, simplicity, and brutal execution of it.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote