Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   noob lookin for some direction (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5135)

lurker 01-12-2011 08:28 PM

noob lookin for some direction

hello everyone, glad i stumbled across this forum. seems to be a pretty good place to pick up knowledge. anyway, a little background of myself. im 28, been lifting for almost a year now with alot of dedication but not much direction. now that i have some experience and a know a little about the sport, id like to take my training to the next level. over the past year, iv managed to move froma 5'8" and a pathetic 123lb, 10 months later to 153 where i am now. im pleased with my progress, but i know if i want to continue to grow i need to set a real path and not just lift cause i can. the powerbuilding style that iv found alot of info about here seems to be the direction id like to take. in a perfect world, id look like mike mentzer, so i use that as motivation. anyways, over the past couple days i have done alot of reading through different articles and and threads here on this site and it seems that a basic fullbody routine with big compound movements is the way to go. any ideas of which routine to follow to make good strength and size gains? im not so concerned with being "ripped" as i just want to be big and muscular. ideally at my height, id like to be a healthy 175-180. my goal for this, my 2nd year training is to put on a quality 15lb. so any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated

BendtheBar 01-12-2011 08:35 PM

Welcome to the forum Lurker. Congrats on the progress you've made over the last year.

Before we start suggesting specific workouts I want to ask you about your experience with lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench press, dips, pullups, overhead presses and some of the other basics.

Have you performed any of these in the past? And are there any that you feel unsure about form-wise?

Once we know where you are at we can set you up with something to get you heading towards your goals as fast as possible.

I am logging off for the night but will check back in the morning.

glwanabe 01-12-2011 08:38 PM

Welcome Lurker.

I know you will enjoy your stay here. Once we have the info that BTB has asked about we will have a better idea to give you direction from.

Also. Do you lift at home or do you go to a commercial gym?

What type of equipment is available wherever you lift at.

Abaddon 01-12-2011 09:16 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I will be available today, if you are still online and have questions I will do my best to answer them.

lurker 01-12-2011 09:37 PM

thanks for the quick replies and warm welcome. i always keep the main compound lifts the BTB mentioned in my routines. im am comfortable with the forms on all of them, i feel i could use a little work on my squat form. most of my working out is done at home with free weights on an adjustable bench, but recently i found a gym buddy so i have been going with him once a week (got a newborn baby at home) and the rest of my working out is by myself. so where i was going with all that is that i know my squat is weak cause i dont have a rack at home to do it safely with heavy weight. right now my max bench is around 180, dead lift around 220, oh press at 120, and my squat is definitely lagging at 165. but yeah, i am comfortable with most of the motions.
to glwanabe: like i said, most of my working out is done at home, with occasional trips to gym when i can get out. i have a pull up bar, an adjustable bench with leg ext on the end, 7ft barbell, 6ft barbell, ez curl bar, 2 dumbell handles and a whole bunch of plates

Abaddon 01-12-2011 09:56 PM

Get yourself some heavy chains and make a Savickas Press for home.
Check my video post #28 here for more info.

You can perform my 4 day routine (check my sig) completely at home, and it's easily adaptable for the gym - so you can stay consistent and track your progress no matter where you're training.

Just a thought.

lurker 01-12-2011 10:11 PM

i like that press idea, it provides a certain amount of safety. i have to see if there is a place i can set something like that up. i live in a condo/townhouse deal so space is limited

Abaddon 01-12-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 106472)
i like that press idea, it provides a certain amount of safety. i have to see if there is a place i can set something like that up. i live in a condo/townhouse deal so space is limited

Even without the chains, front squats are more stable and safer than regular squats in terms of handling the weight before and after the movement.
You could perform them sans chains...

but there are several other exercises that the Savickas is suited for when it comes to home training including:
overhead (Savickas) press
behind back BB shrugs
behind back BB wrist curls
bench press
calf raises
hell, you can use it for bicep BB curls if you want to be extra safe

If you can find a way to rig them up, they really are brilliant.

BendtheBar 01-13-2011 01:14 PM

I want to ask one more squat question. Are you able to safely use a weight at home that would be challenging for 20 rep squats?

Also, any experience with front squats?

Sorry for so many questions, but squats are usually the cornerstone and I want to see if there is any way to work them in safely.

lurker 01-13-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 106644)
I want to ask one more squat question. Are you able to safely use a weight at home that would be challenging for 20 rep squats?

Also, any experience with front squats?

Sorry for so many questions, but squats are usually the cornerstone and I want to see if there is any way to work them in safely.

yeah i can use a weight that i believe would be challenging for 20 reps during squats. and no, i havent tried front squats yet. basically just been pressing the bar over head and resting it on my back/traps when i squat