Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bodybuilding and Powerlifting Bench (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5095)

BendtheBar 01-08-2011 09:47 AM

Bodybuilding and Powerlifting Bench

Many consider that there are two different types of bench...a powerlifting and a bodybuilding bench. I am from the camp that believes there is only one right and safe way to bench, and that powerlifters have a better grasp of this form than the average bodybuilder.

If you bench incorrectly, with elbows flared, no back arch, whatever, you beat the crap out of your shoulders, joints, etc. and increase the risk of injury.

So while I am not saying you MUST setup completely like a powerlifter, you must at least utilize a basic, and proper setup that is based on a proper powerlifting bench setup to prevent injury.

Also, I do not believe in deviating from proper form just to get a better pump, stretch, feel or mind muscle connection.

I know this is a heated debate, but I want to keep it civil. I don't believe that there are 2 separate form variants for each lift that are goal dependent. I believe proper form is proper form, and there is only one safest form path for each lift.

What say you?

ILoveLifting 01-08-2011 10:03 AM

Completely agree steve^
BUT, should i press in a straight line or up and back?

ILoveLifting 01-09-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveLifting (Post 104948)
Completely agree steve^
BUT, should i press in a straight line or up and back?

Cant ever get any takers on this subject???

big_swede 01-09-2011 11:27 AM

Alot of people are benching with elbows flared and the bar path over their collarbones or throat. This hurts my shoulders just from watching.

PL style bench it is for me, the benchpress is a upperbody lift and not a chest-isolation movement (but a whole lot of people out there seem to believe it is).

ILoveLifting 01-09-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 105245)
Alot of people are benching with elbows flared and the bar path over their collarbones or throat. This hurts my shoulders just from watching.

PL style bench it is for me, the benchpress is a upperbody lift and not a chest-isolation movement (but a whole lot of people out there seem to believe it is).

Thanks bigswede, sounds as though we all agree; powerlifting form is the way:rockon:

In regard to the path of the bar:
a)do you press in a straight line
b)do you press up and back(like a J)

big_swede 01-09-2011 11:40 AM

I press in a straight line but that is different and depends on your body type and build i think.

ILoveLifting 01-09-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 105250)
I press in a straight line but that is different and depends on your body type and build i think.

Makes good sense, buddy - Ill keep playing around with it.
Do you by chance have any idea what is better for long torso and medium length arms? Im gonna take a shot in the dark and guess you are a fairly tall gentleman with long arms.. Therefor, the 'straight line' benching possibly to reduce the distance of the bar?

thanks for the advice

big_swede 01-09-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveLifting (Post 105253)
Makes good sense, buddy - Ill keep playing around with it.
Do you by chance have any idea what is better for long torso and medium length arms? Im gonna take a shot in the dark and guess you are a fairly tall gentleman with long arms.. Therefor, the 'straight line' benching possibly to reduce the distance of the bar?

thanks for the advice

Yeah ive got long arms and a long way for the bar to travell haha. Youll have to experiment and se what fits you, im really no expert on the subject

gaspers04 01-09-2011 12:17 PM

For me; elbows tucked and straight up from the old xiphoid.

ILoveLifting 01-09-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 105263)
For me; elbows tucked and straight up from the old xiphoid.

The tip is much appreciated. ive seen your numbers and theyre are very impressive. If my memory serves me correctly you compete. If so, do you compete raw? thanks buddy