Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pre Workout "Rituals" (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5070)

.D. 01-06-2011 01:36 PM

Pre Workout "Rituals"

This may be a weird thread I'm starting, but I'm just curious as to know if any of you have any pre workout "rituals"?

Personally, I like to brush my teeth before I lift weights. I feel that it stops my mouth from getting dry during my workout. Or maybe it's just in my mind, I don't know, but it works for me.

I knew somebody a few years back that would put Jimi Hendrix on his CD player whilst driving to the gym. He said it made him "zone out".

MC 01-06-2011 01:43 PM

Hmmm...

Now that I think about it, I don't really have any kind of ritual. I have music that I listen to while lifting, but nothing in particular that I do that get myself psyched up.

Sometimes while working out when I am feeling a little drained or on my last set, I'll mumble "light weight, light weight" to myself.

BendtheBar 01-06-2011 01:46 PM

I listen to the same 3 CDs while training, and sip on whey while training. If I listen to any other music it distracts me. I am also obsessed with lifting in 60 minutes or less. I fear stretching because I always get strains from it. So I completely avoid stretching. And I always do the same number of warmup sets with the same weight and progression for each exercise that I must follow or my head implodes.

I don't have any substantial pre-workout rituals. Most of my obsessions come when lifting.

Trevor Lane 01-06-2011 01:56 PM

I have a ritualistic warmup... 3 arm rotations (forward & back), 3 hip rotations (left & right), and 3 knee/ankle rotations (left & right), 10 barbell swings, 10 lunges forward, 10 lunges backard, and 10 sidesteps in each direction or I injure myself.

Rich Knapp 01-06-2011 01:56 PM

I work out in morning:
  1. M/T bladder and weigh myself
  2. Take wake up sups
  3. Have a 1/2 cigar
  4. Weigh out and eat breakfast
  5. Have other 1/2 cigar
  6. Weigh out and pack all my Post work out sups
  7. Weigh out and take Pre work out sups
  8. Leave for gym (10 mins away)

TitanCT 01-06-2011 01:58 PM

i always refill my gallon jug and add more BCAA's. i usually find a couple of songs on my iPod and blare them in my truck. summer time is better with the windows down and all that kinda stuff. i get my notebook out and start my journal for the day.
unless its leg day i wrap my wrists then go to the first exercise. sometimes i kinda let my eyes blur some and try to visualize my lift befor ei do it. sort of get a feel for it, especially on heavy weights. i take my time getting mentally set.

BendtheBar 01-06-2011 02:05 PM

I also have a black cat that comes down to my dungeon with me...Piggy Pigs.

I pet the cat in between sets.

Who knew?

dmaipa 01-06-2011 02:11 PM

usually when its a pretty quiet time before i head to the gym..just pack up my gym bag, take my pre-workout supps, and on the drive to the gym just have silence..nothing too insane, i just know when I start to lift its like an animal was finally released from his cage..haha..but i do it silently.

bamazav 01-06-2011 02:18 PM

Rituals? Hmm. if you do not count the bloody sacrifice of ego on the altar of iron or the daily feasts or fasts before and/or after training or the mutilation of records on a regular basis, then there are no rituals that really matter.

Srs. Most ritualistic thing I do is fix something to drink before heading to the Dog House.

BendtheBar 01-06-2011 02:28 PM

I forgot my big pre-workout ritual...making sure I start my working so that it's finished before my wife gets home.