Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Getting Ripped

This is a conversation I have nearly every day. It's not meant to poke fun at anyone, but rather to shine a light on common misconceptions.

Guy X: I don't want to build muscle. I just want to get ripped. What cardio and diet should I use.

Me: First and foremost you need to focus on training hard with weights. If you don't, you will risk losing muscle while cutting, leaving you thin but with a less than appealing physique.

Guy X: But I don't want to look like a bodybuilder.

Me: You won't, that takes years and years and years. And even then, if you are a natural, you will still be well over 60-75 pounds lighter than most Olympia contenders.

Guy X: Ok, so how long do I lift weights?

Me: If you want to look good, and keep your existing muscle, you can't stop training.

Guy X: Wha????

Me: The second you stop training, you are telling your body that existing muscle isn't needed while cutting. To maintain a nice physique, you must put in a continuous effort, even if bodybuilding isn't a goal.

Guy X: Ok, so I will do crunches and curls and pec dec and lat pulldowns...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
XxTJBxX
New Brawn

Training Exp: 12 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Dead Lifts
Fav Supp: Cellucor M5
XxTJBxX is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This is a conversation I have nearly every day. It's not meant to poke fun at anyone, but rather to shine a light on common misconceptions.

Guy X: I don't want to build muscle. I just want to get ripped. What cardio and diet should I use.

Me: First and foremost you need to focus on training hard with weights. If you don't, you will risk losing muscle while cutting, leaving you thin but with a less than appealing physique.

Guy X: But I don't want to look like a bodybuilder.

Me: You won't, that takes years and years and years. And even then, if you are a natural, you will still be well over 60-75 pounds lighter than most Olympia contenders.

Guy X: Ok, so how long do I lift weights?

Me: If you want to look good, and keep your existing muscle, you can't stop training.

Guy X: Wha????

Me: The second you stop training, you are telling your body that existing muscle isn't needed while cutting. To maintain a nice physique, you must put in a continuous effort, even if bodybuilding isn't a goal.

Guy X: Ok, so I will do crunches and curls and pec dec and lat pulldowns...

People man are just insane they think they dont have to put in the work! Drives me insane!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I just interviewed a fitness model who was in one of MuscleTech's big TV ads and he does squats, deads and bench. He's not a big boy by any means, but he works hard to look like he does.

Again, I'm not trying to poke fun at anyone...just trying to enlighten...

Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

lol Thought you were out to get me by the title of this thread.

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Get him!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTJBxX View Post
People man are just insane they think they dont have to put in the work! Drives me insane!
And this (mis)perception is really perpetuated by a many fitness and lifting magazine.

Men's Health would have you believe, for example, that you can do 4 circuits of light kettle ball training and have a QB physique like Drew Brees (I just scanned this issue at a bud's house over the holidays).

Very few articles in those magazines explain food intake (they list a meal or 3) or progressive training.

I fell for it once upon a time. I read and went to the gym and did stuff. I looked different, but I didn't get big and strong until I found correct information.

The receptionists here at work are always asking me why I eat so much and why I am "trying to gain weight". "Who does that?!?" was the exact question right before XMas.

So, I just said, those killer builds that you like on men? Well, to get them you have to eat-- a LOT-- and workout hard.

I still don't think they get it.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Most of this industry is off it's rocker.

Very few guys realize that their physique goals are in the same family as the physique goals of natural bodybuilders.

Most naturals on stage compete at under 170. Every guy I know wants to weigh about 160-170, ripped with some muscle.

I can't blame people for these false perceptions. They are fed that if you train hard you will look like Jay Cutler. Truth is, if you train hard for many, many years, and get ripped, you might look like this:

Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
MMA Max
Max Brawn

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Wait a min, So my program is all wrong?? I have been doing 3 sets push ups x 10, bicep curls 3 x 10 and Hyperextensions 3 x10 and eating a veggy diet and your telling me I am not gonna get massive! STFU BTB!! you know nothing!!!!!!

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

The more I understand ^^This^^, BTB, the more I realize and settle in on a much more off-season type of look for myself overall.

Getting that ripped once would be nice, but I feel small whenever my weight dips under 195 and I think I'd rather be big and look big than be shredded and super-lean.

I admire the dedication and work to get to that level of leanness, but I think I like bread and beer too much. LOL.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
The more I understand ^^This^^, BTB, the more I realize and settle in on a much more off-season type of look for myself overall.

Getting that ripped once would be nice, but I feel small whenever my weight dips under 195 and I think I'd rather be big and look big than be shredded and super-lean.

I admire the dedication and work to get to that level of leanness, but I think I like bread and beer too much. LOL.
Ditto. A non pudgy 190 - 200 would suit me just fine.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote