Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Getting Ripped (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5056)

BendtheBar 01-05-2011 02:10 PM

Getting Ripped

This is a conversation I have nearly every day. It's not meant to poke fun at anyone, but rather to shine a light on common misconceptions.

Guy X: I don't want to build muscle. I just want to get ripped. What cardio and diet should I use.

Me: First and foremost you need to focus on training hard with weights. If you don't, you will risk losing muscle while cutting, leaving you thin but with a less than appealing physique.

Guy X: But I don't want to look like a bodybuilder.

Me: You won't, that takes years and years and years. And even then, if you are a natural, you will still be well over 60-75 pounds lighter than most Olympia contenders.

Guy X: Ok, so how long do I lift weights?

Me: If you want to look good, and keep your existing muscle, you can't stop training.

Guy X: Wha????

Me: The second you stop training, you are telling your body that existing muscle isn't needed while cutting. To maintain a nice physique, you must put in a continuous effort, even if bodybuilding isn't a goal.

Guy X: Ok, so I will do crunches and curls and pec dec and lat pulldowns...

XxTJBxX 01-05-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 103905)
This is a conversation I have nearly every day. It's not meant to poke fun at anyone, but rather to shine a light on common misconceptions.

Guy X: I don't want to build muscle. I just want to get ripped. What cardio and diet should I use.

Me: First and foremost you need to focus on training hard with weights. If you don't, you will risk losing muscle while cutting, leaving you thin but with a less than appealing physique.

Guy X: But I don't want to look like a bodybuilder.

Me: You won't, that takes years and years and years. And even then, if you are a natural, you will still be well over 60-75 pounds lighter than most Olympia contenders.

Guy X: Ok, so how long do I lift weights?

Me: If you want to look good, and keep your existing muscle, you can't stop training.

Guy X: Wha????

Me: The second you stop training, you are telling your body that existing muscle isn't needed while cutting. To maintain a nice physique, you must put in a continuous effort, even if bodybuilding isn't a goal.

Guy X: Ok, so I will do crunches and curls and pec dec and lat pulldowns...

People man are just insane they think they dont have to put in the work! Drives me insane!

BendtheBar 01-05-2011 02:28 PM

I just interviewed a fitness model who was in one of MuscleTech's big TV ads and he does squats, deads and bench. He's not a big boy by any means, but he works hard to look like he does.

Again, I'm not trying to poke fun at anyone...just trying to enlighten...

rippednmichigan 01-05-2011 02:30 PM

lol Thought you were out to get me by the title of this thread.

BendtheBar 01-05-2011 02:32 PM

Get him!

http://www.emgonline.co.uk/news/24fighting-gang.jpg

MC 01-05-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxTJBxX (Post 103907)
People man are just insane they think they dont have to put in the work! Drives me insane!

And this (mis)perception is really perpetuated by a many fitness and lifting magazine.

Men's Health would have you believe, for example, that you can do 4 circuits of light kettle ball training and have a QB physique like Drew Brees (I just scanned this issue at a bud's house over the holidays).

Very few articles in those magazines explain food intake (they list a meal or 3) or progressive training.

I fell for it once upon a time. I read and went to the gym and did stuff. I looked different, but I didn't get big and strong until I found correct information.

The receptionists here at work are always asking me why I eat so much and why I am "trying to gain weight". "Who does that?!?" was the exact question right before XMas.

So, I just said, those killer builds that you like on men? Well, to get them you have to eat-- a LOT-- and workout hard.

I still don't think they get it.

BendtheBar 01-05-2011 03:01 PM

Most of this industry is off it's rocker.

Very few guys realize that their physique goals are in the same family as the physique goals of natural bodybuilders.

Most naturals on stage compete at under 170. Every guy I know wants to weigh about 160-170, ripped with some muscle.

I can't blame people for these false perceptions. They are fed that if you train hard you will look like Jay Cutler. Truth is, if you train hard for many, many years, and get ripped, you might look like this:

http://www.liftforlife.com/content/i...ding-award.jpg

MMA Max 01-05-2011 03:59 PM

Wait a min, So my program is all wrong?? I have been doing 3 sets push ups x 10, bicep curls 3 x 10 and Hyperextensions 3 x10 and eating a veggy diet and your telling me I am not gonna get massive! STFU BTB!! you know nothing!!!!!!

MC 01-05-2011 04:00 PM

The more I understand ^^This^^, BTB, the more I realize and settle in on a much more off-season type of look for myself overall.

Getting that ripped once would be nice, but I feel small whenever my weight dips under 195 and I think I'd rather be big and look big than be shredded and super-lean.

I admire the dedication and work to get to that level of leanness, but I think I like bread and beer too much. LOL.

big valsalva 01-16-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 103956)
The more I understand ^^This^^, BTB, the more I realize and settle in on a much more off-season type of look for myself overall.

Getting that ripped once would be nice, but I feel small whenever my weight dips under 195 and I think I'd rather be big and look big than be shredded and super-lean.

I admire the dedication and work to get to that level of leanness, but I think I like bread and beer too much. LOL.

Ditto. A non pudgy 190 - 200 would suit me just fine.