Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

This is entertaining reading.

When it comes to health and fitness, the attitude of most people is a pastiche of catchy sound bites and sales pitches. There's a reason late night TV has been pedalling a variety of genuinely useless contraptions for, what, 30 years? More? And they keep selling. Because people keep buying them. Not just the piece of shit ab-swing (or whatever) but the mentality as well;
"Losing weight/building muscle is easy... with this new 'system'."

Garbage.

Cross that with the misinformation swirling around about fad diets, 'Caveman' this and 'Atkins' that, 48 hour detoxes and fat blasters...

Snake oil.

The bottom line is; people are lazy. As long as the overwhelming consensus is that the ideal body can be achieved without effort, people will continue to be lazy... lazier. The fat get fatter, which makes everything harder.

So they buy the next product to guarantee easy results.

Ad nausea.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 01-17-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
Spartigus
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
This is entertaining reading.

When it comes to health and fitness, the overwhelming attitude of most people is a pastiche of catchy sound bites and sales pitches. There's a reason late night TV has been pedalling a variety of genuinely useless contraptions for, what, 30 years? More? And they keep selling. Because people keep buying them. Not just the piece of shit ab-swing (or whatever) but the mentality as well;
"Losing weight/building muscle is easy... with this new 'system'."

Garbage.

Cross that with the misinformation swirling around about fad diets, 'Caveman' this and 'Atkins' that, 48 hour detoxes and fat blasters...

Snake oil.

The bottom line is; people are lazy. As long as the overwhelming consensus is that the ideal body can be achieved without effort, people will continue to be lazy... lazier. The fat get fatter, which makes everything harder.

So they buy the next product to guarantee easy results.

Ad nausea.
Well said as always!!!

If people spent less time looking for shortcuts and more time squatting and deadlifting, everyone would be a lot better of!

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #13
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
Well said as always!!!

If people spent less time looking for shortcuts and more time squatting and deadlifting, everyone would be a lot better of!
AMEN

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #14
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

What i dont understand is the people that want to get to 5-7% body fat who arent competing... IMO there is really no point, sure if you are a model and doing a photoshoot or about to compete then great, but other wise i dont think being below7%bf is a healthy place to be. The fitness industry gives us pictures of people at that body fat and everyone assumes thats what we are supposed to look like all the time, not even realising that most competitors are only ever at those very low bodyfats for a few weeks of the year.

I personally think a solid 170-180lbs and 10% bodyfat would be an attainable and more importantly maintainable. One thing i love a bout this site is the focus on looking likethe classics and having the same kind of goals as them...

Functional Strength, Great Symmerty, and above all Healthy...

Id take that over a 5% bf every day of the week

Carl.

Last edited by Carl1174; 01-17-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

‎"He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive." Just rip their mediocre heads off and eat them for breakfast.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
hugerobb
Brawn

Training Exp: 25 +yrs.
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: leg press
Fav Supp: Red Meat
hugerobb has made some quality postshugerobb has made some quality postshugerobb has made some quality postshugerobb has made some quality postshugerobb has made some quality postshugerobb has made some quality postshugerobb has made some quality posts

all interesting posts it has to be an individual thing,As for myself I never cut I always bulk tried cutting one time I looked and felt small.I like the big look so I bulk all the time and lift heavy but that is just my opinion
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Its ashame the way people get gimmicked by the industry. I ,myself have fell for some of these scams. Most people have no idea what a healthy diet looks like. I have a guy in work who asks me why the hell I eat so much (6 meals) if I'm trying to lose weight. They have no idea about calories in and calories out and metabolism. I hear people all the time that only eat twice a day in hopes to attempt to lose weight and I'm not talking warrior diet. And some people are just stuck in the 1980's fat is the devil mind set and no nothing about good healthy fats. UGH. ok rant over.
bigtim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #18
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
What i dont understand is the people that want to get to 5-7% body fat who arent competing... IMO there is really no point, sure if you are a model and doing a photoshoot or about to compete then great, but other wise i dont think being below7%bf is a healthy place to be. The fitness industry gives us pictures of people at that body fat and everyone assumes thats what we are supposed to look like all the time, not even realising that most competitors are only ever at those very low bodyfats for a few weeks of the year.

I personally think a solid 170-180lbs and 10% bodyfat would be an attainable and more importantly maintainable. One thing i love a bout this site is the focus on looking likethe classics and having the same kind of goals as them...

Functional Strength, Great Symmerty, and above all Healthy...

Id take that over a 5% bf every day of the week

Carl.
For a start, this fact of yours I have placed in bold is not known to be a fact by all the people seeking it. The idyllic body type the general public is exposed to is not just found in health and fitness magazines; it's EVERYWHERE!! Selling clothes, cars, cologne, fkn sneakers and iphones!

You name it, I've seen a guy with a lesser body fat percentage than I have fingers selling it.

I've been at the point where 5% body fat was my goal, and I believed I reached it... and became very very unhealthy because of it. At the time, I had no idea that maintaining a body fat of around 5% was NOT manageable. I did it for several weeks, and (to cut a long story short) wound up in hospital.

I was a victim of lack of information. Just like sooooo many people out there. The only difference was I actually stuck with it; got there (the wrong way) and paid the price.

I still empathise with people who think it's attainable.

The second part I've emboldened is also what I like about this site; it's about REAL gains, and REAL expectations. Hard to come by in this roided-up field, and it makes me happy to be a part of it.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS

Last edited by Abaddon; 01-17-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerobb View Post
all interesting posts it has to be an individual thing,As for myself I never cut I always bulk tried cutting one time I looked and felt small.I like the big look so I bulk all the time and lift heavy but that is just my opinion
I like this philosophy... I heard someone say once 'If you have to take your top off and show you ab's so that people know you lift, well whats the point in lifting'

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
What i dont understand is the people that want to get to 5-7% body fat who arent competing... IMO there is really no point, sure if you are a model and doing a photoshoot or about to compete then great, but other wise i dont think being below7%bf is a healthy place to be.
And it's almost impossible to maintain.

I would be happy with 12-14 year round.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote