Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Crazy high rep training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4982)

thumpinos 12-28-2010 10:56 AM

Crazy high rep training

Anyone ever seen someone do crazy high rep training and be successful? I'm talking 20-50 reps per set.

You think progression on compound lifts would add muscle at these ranges?

Abaddon 12-28-2010 11:09 AM

No and no.

PCT 12-28-2010 11:12 AM

I have just started doing some high rep stuff... to early to tell if it increases size or whtever... but it mos def feels great the next day.... hella pump... did a HIGH REP LEG DAY AND CHEST/BACK DAY SO far and did leg curls for sets of 20 and leg extensions for sets of 40... 3 sets each... still feeling it from saturday... did alot of 20 rep sets for chest and back last night... chest feels great but dont really see the difference in the back soreness from doing 10 reps...

BendtheBar 12-28-2010 12:08 PM

Good timing Thumpinos. I am actually wrapping up an interview with top natural bodybuilder Cleveland Thomas who uses 20 to 60 rep sets.

I can't say I will be trying this anytime soon, but his style did make me question if extremely high rep sets were viable.

I did a 100 rep set of leg presses while training with Jslep, but don't think I could do that often.

Abaddon 12-28-2010 12:10 PM

BTB - does C Thomas use reps that high for muscle growth??

Lerho 12-31-2010 06:28 PM

Everything works a while and nothing works forever... So for a time it might do a trick but then you have to change because the body adapts...

MMA Max 12-31-2010 06:38 PM

I do them on some compound lifts..Them seem to work for some things but not everything

big_swede 12-31-2010 07:54 PM

I really like smashing a set of high rep deadlifts or squats now and then, also rows.

Going for 15-20 reps with your 10RM and push through by pure will is a great kick and makes one stronger, both physically and mentally imo.

BigTallOx 01-08-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpinos (Post 101876)
Anyone ever seen someone do crazy high rep training and be successful? I'm talking 20-50 reps per set.

You think progression on compound lifts would add muscle at these ranges?

Back when I was focusing on powerlifting, there was a body builder who was benching with us for a little while. He got the group doing super high rep tricep accessory work, 4 exercises done back to back each 20+ reps per set. I swear my bench was down for a month after doing that ONCE.

Now, I train with a pro strongman, and his program includes something similar to the above, but it's with stuff like cleans, bent over rows, overhead pressing with the 2" axle. And it's only done for a few back to back sets at the end of the session. each exercise is usually only 8 reps, but when you're doing 4 in a row it's essentially a 30+ rep set. That seems to be working, maybe it's ok to do a limited amount with compound movements.

Trevor Ross 01-29-2011 01:06 PM

Tom Platz, his motto was "Heavy weights, high reps!!".