Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Conventional deads vs sumo deads (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4935)

CoopDawg 12-20-2010 05:04 PM

Conventional deads vs sumo deads

Well I went to he gym today just to see some friends, couldnt workout my membership has expired, but had an old powerlifter buddy say come help me setup with this sumo dl and since i know the gym managers real well they said its fine as long as im not full on working out, he was setting up for a 625lb sumo dead, so i helped him get the weights set and he pulled it up, we started talkin afterwards about deadlifts and sumo deadlifts and he was explaining how he recently made the switch from conventional deads to sumo's and i said ive never tried them, and he went on to say whats your max dl and i said im not sure it was about 225, he said okay try this we put 225 on their after i conventional warmed up with 135 he got me in good sumo form and i pulled 225 no problem, I think after this i want to start doing sumo deadlift and put a vid up so u guys can check form, have you guys had anything like this happen? whats your favorites, Sorry for the long yapping

Fire36 12-20-2010 05:17 PM

What's the diff?? I keep hearing guys here talking about them, but have never taken the time to check them out. My last DL max was 305(after I fried my legs on squats), if they make that much difference like to check them out.

BendtheBar 12-20-2010 05:24 PM

It's good to try both forms of deadlifts. One might be easier, or less harsh on your body than another.

Conventional deads are more of a back lift for me, and I have a strong back, so it works well. I can deadlift about 100 more pounds conventional. But, conventional deadlifts are harder on my hips.

Sumos are more of a hamstring lift for me, and I have weak and inflexible hamstrings.

Both destroy my upper back. So if you approach them as muscle builder, and not as a powerlifter, I say use the one that feels better for you.

I helped LTL (from the forum) transition over to sumos and he rocketed up in strength. He competed in powerlifting for the first time recently and destroyed some quality weight. He wasn't the best conventional deadlifter.

CoopDawg 12-20-2010 05:26 PM

sumo is wider stance much wider actually- youtube them

CoopDawg 12-20-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 100564)
It's good to try both forms of deadlifts. One might be easier, or less harsh on your body than another.

Conventional deads are more of a back lift for me, and I have a strong back, so it works well. I can deadlift about 100 more pounds conventional. But, conventional deadlifts are harder on my hips.

Sumos are more of a hamstring lift for me, and I have weak and inflexible hamstrings.

Both destroy my upper back. So if you approach them as muscle builder, and not as a powerlifter, I say use the one that feels better for you.

I helped LTL (from the forum) transition over to sumos and he rocketed up in strength. He competed in powerlifting for the first time recently and destroyed some quality weight. He wasn't the best conventional deadlifter.

Thanks for this btb i may need your help transforming over also, i may have the same problem he does i may be more fit for sumo's do you have any good vids other than youtube or reading material on the sumo dl

dmaipa 12-20-2010 05:47 PM

I am much strong in sumo deads, its definitely much more hamstrings and hips. big mistake when performing them is not having your knees out! and chest up. Sumo also has less strain on the lowerback and the starting position tends to make your back at less of an angle than conventional style.

When i decided to change over to sumo instead of conventional when i was powerlifting, it was because it felt more natural for me to do so. Nowadays, i do both still but more for musclebuilding.

CoopDawg 12-20-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaipa (Post 100571)
I am much strong in sumo deads, its definitely much more hamstrings and hips. big mistake when performing them is not having your knees out! and chest up. Sumo also has less strain on the lowerback and the starting position tends to make your back at less of an angle than conventional style.

When i decided to change over to sumo instead of conventional when i was powerlifting, it was because it felt more natural for me to do so. Nowadays, i do both still but more for musclebuilding.

I am going to need the help from experienced sumo dl' ers like you and btb so all the help would be appreciated, my buddy showed me about pushing the knees out today but with him not overlooking me i will forget this so i will perfect it on low weight before going heavy with 225 like i did today with an experienced lifter watching

Fire36 12-20-2010 06:51 PM

damn i need to check this out then, as when i set up for my deads, i got my feet about shoulder width apart, hands on outside of legs with a fairly wide grip not quite to power rings. and when i squat down its like i'm trying to "compress" my hamstrings like a spring.

CoopDawg 12-20-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire36 (Post 100593)
damn i need to check this out then, as when i set up for my deads, i got my feet about shoulder width apart, hands on outside of legs with a fairly wide grip not quite to power rings. and when i squat down its like i'm trying to "compress" my hamstrings like a spring.

that about perfect conventional style

dmaipa 12-20-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoopDawg (Post 100573)
I am going to need the help from experienced sumo dl' ers like you and btb so all the help would be appreciated, my buddy showed me about pushing the knees out today but with him not overlooking me i will forget this so i will perfect it on low weight before going heavy with 225 like i did today with an experienced lifter watching

you should try and post a video of yourself doing the lift for some real feedback..its easier to get advice when we actually see the movement.