Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum
Default Heated debate over workouts

I just had a heated debate with a friend from high school who I ran into at the gym. He was trying to tell me that I need to change workouts every 6 to 8 weeks. I know guys that have never changed workouts and are three times as big as me.

Where did this belief come from that you need to constantly switch things up?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I don't have time to get into this all the way right now, BUT!!

MUSCLE CONFUSION IS BS!!
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
I just had a heated debate with a friend from high school who I ran into at the gym. He was trying to tell me that I need to change workouts every 6 to 8 weeks. I know guys that have never changed workouts and are three times as big as me.

your body adapts to a workout. the organization of the exercises the sets/reps. all of it. youre body can become adjusted to it. people swap workouts when they notice the benefits of that workout slow down or stop. the change is meant to "shock" the body into more growth. this is the reason given as to changing ever 6-8weeks.
personally i change when i get bored.

Last edited by TitanCT; 12-20-2010 at 10:47 AM.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

Does a muscle ever adapt to progressive weight?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

Muscle confusion is a myth. Stick with progression.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Does a muscle ever adapt to progressive weight?
That is the right question, with a complicated answer.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn

There is no confusion, only adaptation. Adaptation is what you seek, it means the work you are doing is having the effect you want. ADD WEIGHT when the muscle has adapted to the stress being applied. Progression of weight is what you work to achieve.

Don't change because you think you need to confuse your body. Change because you want to do something different due to lots of other factors, but not because of this mystical confusion idea.

As you perform a particular movement, your body gets better at performing that movement. It becomes more effecient. This is a good thing, IMO. Just keep adding weight.

There are other facters that will come into play as you work up to the point of pushing some serious weight. Thats a whole other thread, actually it is an article in the bodybuilding forum. Look for the Casey BUTT thread, and find the interviews that Steve Shaw did. Or look in the Classic challenge and you will find them linked in the first post.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I don't know about you but my body only has one brain. My muscles never get confused, they either adapt or they progress. The only confusion that occurs in my gym is when I don't look at my log and can't remember how much weight I moved last time. Shoot for 1 lb more or 1 rep more every time and you will have not need for confusion.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
It comes from people mistakenly thinking that DOMS indicates progress.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
personally i change when i get bored.
I change mine when my goals change.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote