Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Heated debate over workouts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4933)

swoleramon 12-20-2010 10:15 AM

Heated debate over workouts

I just had a heated debate with a friend from high school who I ran into at the gym. He was trying to tell me that I need to change workouts every 6 to 8 weeks. I know guys that have never changed workouts and are three times as big as me.

Where did this belief come from that you need to constantly switch things up?

glwanabe 12-20-2010 10:41 AM

I don't have time to get into this all the way right now, BUT!!

MUSCLE CONFUSION IS BS!!

TitanCT 12-20-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoleramon (Post 100464)
I just had a heated debate with a friend from high school who I ran into at the gym. He was trying to tell me that I need to change workouts every 6 to 8 weeks. I know guys that have never changed workouts and are three times as big as me.

your body adapts to a workout. the organization of the exercises the sets/reps. all of it. youre body can become adjusted to it. people swap workouts when they notice the benefits of that workout slow down or stop. the change is meant to "shock" the body into more growth. this is the reason given as to changing ever 6-8weeks.
personally i change when i get bored.

swoleramon 12-20-2010 10:50 AM

Does a muscle ever adapt to progressive weight?

Violent Volume 12-20-2010 10:56 AM

Muscle confusion is a myth. Stick with progression.

glwanabe 12-20-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoleramon (Post 100472)
Does a muscle ever adapt to progressive weight?

That is the right question, with a complicated answer.

glwanabe 12-20-2010 11:42 AM

There is no confusion, only adaptation. Adaptation is what you seek, it means the work you are doing is having the effect you want. ADD WEIGHT when the muscle has adapted to the stress being applied. Progression of weight is what you work to achieve.

Don't change because you think you need to confuse your body. Change because you want to do something different due to lots of other factors, but not because of this mystical confusion idea.

As you perform a particular movement, your body gets better at performing that movement. It becomes more effecient. This is a good thing, IMO. Just keep adding weight.

There are other facters that will come into play as you work up to the point of pushing some serious weight. Thats a whole other thread, actually it is an article in the bodybuilding forum. Look for the Casey BUTT thread, and find the interviews that Steve Shaw did. Or look in the Classic challenge and you will find them linked in the first post.

bamazav 12-20-2010 03:57 PM

I don't know about you but my body only has one brain. My muscles never get confused, they either adapt or they progress. The only confusion that occurs in my gym is when I don't look at my log and can't remember how much weight I moved last time. Shoot for 1 lb more or 1 rep more every time and you will have not need for confusion.

BigTallOx 01-08-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoleramon (Post 100464)

It comes from people mistakenly thinking that DOMS indicates progress.

BigTallOx 01-08-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 100471)
personally i change when i get bored.

I change mine when my goals change.