Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   DIPs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4903)

Rich Knapp 12-15-2010 10:59 AM

DIPs

Man this really gets me going.

DIP
were originally a Tri exercise. Then people started leaning forward to cheet and have the lower pec take over and start holding plates between their legs to be cool like the big boys.

NOW dips are a chest exercise all of a sudden.

SORRY I'll keep doing them in strict upright form and use it for my Tri's.

Every body loves to work there chest. LOOK BIG Well sorry guys your tri's are 2/3 of you arm size. Start showing them the love you show your chest and Bi's.

dmaipa 12-15-2010 11:02 AM

I'm all about Dips for tri's, nothing like having tri's that just hang!

MikeC 12-15-2010 11:04 AM

I thought the old school full body workouts used dips for chest and triceps?

Wasn't it considered the upper body squat?

glwanabe 12-15-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 99700)
I thought the old school full body workouts used dips for chest and triceps? Wasn't it considered the upper body squat?

Yes.

Just as there are various ways to perform a squat, there are different ways to perform a dip. It is a versatile move.

Yes, it can be predominately a tricep move. However it can also be used to great effect as an overall upperbody compound move. Most people do not get the full effect out of dips as an upperbody compound becasue they ar not holding their body in the correct position.

Just leaning forward a little does not load the upper body nearly as much as what can be done with a correct pivot off the shoulder.

Utilizing gymnastic rings and bars other than parallel type can be advantegeous in hitting muscles that are not targeted with standard dip bars.

Vince Gironda had a style dips as well.

Vince Gironda Dips | Iron Guru

I'll put some more stuff together later, when I get home. Work requires attention.

BendtheBar 12-15-2010 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of the images from the Gironda site talking about dips for pecs.

I have always used them for both chest and triceps.
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/att...1&d=1292430237

PCT 12-15-2010 11:28 AM

this is gonna be one of my staple exercises for a while now... been loving then the past two weeks

Rich Knapp 12-15-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 99710)
Here is one of the images from the Gironda site talking about dips for pecs.

I have always used them for both chest and triceps.
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/att...1&d=1292430237

YES see how the body isn't at a 45 deg from the floor. It is primary Tri and secondary Pec. Like the reverse of a bench press thats Pec primary and Tri secondary.

I'm seeing guy's in the gym with 100 lbs of weights strapped on and then there leaning so far forward they are doing the same thing as a decline press but with more stress on the delts to hold there body angle.

Then there dropping down and bragging to there Buddy on how strong there Tri's are.

Not bashing just a Q? If your leaning way forward and doing for the chest, if you are doing 100 lbs in plates between the legs and you way 200 lbs. Why not just do 150 lb Db's for decline presses?

Same angle, only difference is you are in a fixed width like a decline machine press and don't have a stability issue like with Db's.

Side note: Again hear I go with detail. OK above is WIDE GRIP DIPS. YES this hit the pecs more seen as it is a pressing movement, elbows out. Narrow Grip Dips were on the downward movement you point your elbows back it a primary Tri movement.
These are the ones I see guys leaning way forward on. And I mean way forward almost parallel to the floor.

BendtheBar 12-16-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 99717)
Not bashing just a Q? If your leaning way forward and doing for the chest, if you are doing 100 lbs in plates between the legs and you way 200 lbs. Why not just do 150 lb Db's for decline presses?

Decline presses are more restricted. I can't lower them as deeply, and for me they become more of a tricep/lockout lift.

With dips I have a few additional inches to play with.

In addition, there is less shoulder strain for me with palms facing together.

jwood 12-16-2010 11:50 AM

Just wanted to chime in here:

Today I did a little experimenting with dips Gironda style as described in the above posts, and I did not really like them. They felt very unnatural to me, there was a bit more focus on the lower pec but it did not feel right on my shoulders. Just felt awkward to me, but they definitely work your upper body differently.

I think I will stick with my close grip dips with elbows straight back.

BendtheBar 12-16-2010 11:57 AM

Thanks for the head's up Jwood. I've never tried Gironda-style dips.