Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The "Anti Bodybuilding" Workout (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4899)

BendtheBar 12-14-2010 11:43 AM

The "Anti Bodybuilding" Workout

I want to build a list of every major must in modern bodybuilding, and then piece together a workout that breaks these rules.

I am talking conventional bodybuilding magazine type wisdom, such as:

--You have to use a split. Fullbody workouts suck and are only for beginners.
--You must use isolation exercises.
--6 to 12 is the magic rep range. Sets under 6 are for strength, and sets over 12 are for endurance.
--TUT. Time under tension is the magic key.
--Muscle confusion. Muscle confusion is needed. Change routines every 8-12 weeks.
--Mind Muscle. Focus on isolating the muscle. Weight isn't important. "Feel" this muscle working.

Any other majors you consider important in the discussion?

Disclaimer: I'm not posting this to say any of the above are ineffective. Obviously they do work, to varying degrees. Some are more important, and some are silliness as "essentials".

My point is this...it is believed by most that if you don't use these principles, you will fail.

glwanabe 12-14-2010 11:51 AM

Excellant post.

Squatting more than once a week is too much work.

BendtheBar 12-14-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 99547)
Excellant post.

Squatting more than once a week is too much work.

Nice! Good addition.

BendtheBar 12-14-2010 11:56 AM

How about:

--You must hit each muscle group from multiple angles to maximize growth.
--You must train calves with higher rep ranges.

BendtheBar 12-14-2010 12:03 PM

By the way, I realize many of these are integral parts of fullbody workouts and old school training, but I want to write an article that will highlight popular beliefs and present an alternative that isn't just...split vs. fullbody or old vs. new.

glwanabe 12-14-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 99551)
By the way, I realize many of these are integral parts of fullbody workouts and old school training, but I want to write an article that will highlight popular beliefs and present an alternative that isn't just...split vs. fullbody or old vs. new.

We must be tuned in on the same freq again. I have been thinking a lot about this since starting the classic challenge. Moreso, when I started working on some other routines.

Another spark that had got me thinking about some of thee aspects was the talk we had last week about shoulder training.

Then there is the Clancy Ross article where he talks abut picking 15 moves to build his entire Mr. Universe routine around. Thats 15 moves for his entire body. Some people today do that many moves for 2 body parts.

This article.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/97181-post75.html

I really like the idea of this thread. I think we have gotten to the point that we have for the most part turned our back on some methods, while embracing others without really understanding, WHY.

A lot of these aspects are not just misunderstood by the everyday lifter. I read about this same aspects being pushed by the so called experts.

Another rule:

Deadlifts should never be done above reps of 3-5

BendtheBar 12-14-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 99552)

I really like the idea of this thread. I think we have gotten to the point that we have for the most part turned our back on some methods, while embracing others without really understanding, WHY.

In many ways we have gotten smarter, but so many times this "smartness" is used to find a way to train easier, or less hard...if that makes sense. Many surround themselves with the comfort of a complex system, trying to disguise the reality that they don't want to work hard.

Most "Men's Health" workouts just lay out a list of exercises, but you will rarely be told that those that succeed bust their nuts with persistence.

The average Joe doesn't like squats and deadlifts and dips and pullups, so they are given a workout that involves lat pulldowns and leg extensions and dumbbell kickbacks and so forth.

Again, this is not an indictment on leg extensions...it's just my opinion on one aspect of modern training.

Also, for the "new" to sell, the old must be classified as useless or inferior.

strkout35 12-14-2010 02:16 PM

Only 3 sets per exercise. Any more than that is a waste

BendtheBar 12-14-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 99560)
Only 3 sets per exercise. Any more than that is a waste

Nice! That's an obvious one I forgot.

glwanabe 12-14-2010 02:44 PM

You must train to failure.