Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Back exercises upright rows any good (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4896)

Zipz 12-14-2010 09:24 AM

Back exercises upright rows any good

I just read an article that said that lat pulldowns and upright rows are better for back than dumbbell rows. Is this true? I always thought rows were better.

MikeC 12-14-2010 10:07 AM

Never heard that before. Upright rows are ok, but dumbbell rows kick their ass all day.

Fire36 12-14-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 99517)
Never heard that before. Upright rows are ok, but dumbbell rows kick their ass all day.

:ditto:
yep, dumbbell rows are killer for this, and if you wanna really add a kick to it, do them on an incline bench with a pronated grip. Whoever said lat pulldowns are better has maybe not looked at the other exercises. And pull-ups are an even better kick for them.

glwanabe 12-14-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire36 (Post 99523)
:ditto:
yep, dumbbell rows are killer for this, and if you wanna really add a kick to it, do them on an incline bench with a pronated grip. Whoever said lat pulldowns are better has maybe not looked at the other exercises. And pull-ups are an even better kick for them.

Concur with with with Fire on this. This is a scheme I'm going to input into my sessions.

BB/DB rows 3x8-12/ super set wide grip chins.

2x8-12 row
wide grip chin BWx10
1x8-12 row
wide grip chin BWx10

TitanCT 12-14-2010 02:01 PM

uhm. ive done upright rows a lot. i never felt focus in my back..traps and shoulders, yes...but not my back.

big_swede 12-14-2010 03:23 PM

Upright rows hits my traps n delts good but no lat involvement on my part either. I would go for the rows anyday.

Rich Knapp 12-14-2010 04:44 PM

Db rows and close grip chin ups build the lower lats and tie in's, and some thickness but don't build width.

Wide grip Lat Pull downs and Pull ups build width.

T-Bar rows build thickness

Chest supported Rows- High,seated, low are a form of isolating the row.

All of these are great for what they do as long as you feel the lat doing the work. If not you are using to much weight and using momentum to do the work not the lat muscle.

Very easy to have the Bi's, traps, legs and delts take over.

gaspers04 12-14-2010 04:52 PM

Different muscle groups....

Rich Knapp 12-14-2010 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 99595)
Different muscle groups....

Correct. He asked a general Q? Never stated what group he was targeting.
So I thought I'd cover all bases. lol
Which muscle group in the back is he working/targetting ???????????

Heck the traps make up 45% of your middle back.

Trevor Lane 12-14-2010 06:01 PM

I personally think upright rows are too easy to cheat with, so I do chest supported by using an isolateral machine or incline bench with dumbbells/ But, I would add that almost any exercise is better than pulldowns for lat development: deadlift, pullups, etc...