Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
Regarding the time and next cylce after the deload:
Do you think I can immediately jump into the working weights again or is there a need of ramping again to my working sets over 2-3 weeks?(like 5x5 bill starr)
I personally would jump back in. A deload allows you to retain your fitness and strength while relieving some of the fatigue. So it might be harder or feel harder, but I personally would get right back to where I was.

But, with that said, if you want to ramp for a week I see no harm in it. I'm merely afraid that 3 weeks with lighter weight/sets might cause more harm then good. Again, this is merely paranoia on my part.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I personally would jump back in. A deload allows you to retain your fitness and strength while relieving some of the fatigue. So it might be harder or feel harder, but I personally would get right back to where I was.

But, with that said, if you want to ramp for a week I see no harm in it. I'm merely afraid that 3 weeks with lighter weight/sets might cause more harm then good. Again, this is merely paranoia on my part.
great,thanks. thats the way i prefer it too.

i will post my results soon!

thanky you very much!

floW
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post

1.Its the sweet spot parameter for hypertrophy
2.If the H day is really draining it could be neccessary that after the L day a H day would be still too heavy and soon. thats why the M day is followed before the H day and after the L day.

I will try first to do bench and shoulders on the same day with the same rep count.
If its doensīt work, i will turn to the bench H/shoulders L etc option which is really sound.

Regarding the time and next cylce after the deload:
Do you think I can immediately jump into the working weights
again or is there a need of ramping again to my working sets over 2-3 weeks?(like 5x5 bill starr)

I say jump back in, and see how you feel. You will find your groove with regards to how well conditioned you are. With the right programming you should be able to move to a H/M/M type of plan, or even a H/L/H, or some other scheme.

Progression is not just about the weights. It is also about you work capacity.
It's good to have a well thought out plan, that is based on sound judgement, but be ready to make course corrections. We are all different.

Have fun.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
flow
Brawn

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I say jump back in, and see how you feel. You will find your groove with regards to how well conditioned you are. With the right programming you should be able to move to a H/M/M type of plan, or even a H/L/H, or some other scheme.

Progression is not just about the weights. It is also about you work capacity.
It's good to have a well thought out plan, that is based on sound judgement, but be ready to make course corrections. We are all different.

Have fun.
cool thx.

The only thing i donīt understand regarding the HLM concept is the progression to more heavy days:

1. I understand it that way, that the stronger u get,the more workload you need to disrupt hoemoastasis but also the longer u need to rest.
So the heavy days get more heavy and the light days lighter.
Progression then is not weekly but monthly then.

So if you are quite advanced and do H L and M WEEKS is sound to me.

But if u progress and compress this in one week-like 2 days heavy and one day medium and the next week again-where is the recovery time u need from the greater workload?

2. The other point is, if i include then one more heavy day and the heavy day i did before consisted of 3x5-does that mean i do 3x5 2x the week then?

Or is the disruption on EACH of the days-for itself-on this specific day too small? In this case i could do 5x5 2x the week.

Of course there is some time till i get to this problems,but that was the only point i never understood in caseys writings or practical programming.

Perhaps u have an answer-its your favourite topic

Last edited by flow; 12-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
The only thing i donīt understand regarding the HLM concept is the progression to more heavy days:
If this is the only thing you don't understand, then your way ahead of the game.

When to make the training day after a hvy day, either a medium or another hvy day is something that you have to figure out on your own. Listen to your own body. alot of this is just simply, how do you feel? Are you tired, do you show signs of over training, are you going backwards in your lifting,...etc?

The heavy, light, medium scheme can probably be used for seveal years with a solid plan of weight progression. Yes things will slow down as you work towards natural limits, but your own CNS will be the thing that you have to monitor.

Realize that, while all of caseys work is very good, you still have to adapt it to your own body. How John Grimek trained is not how I can train. You are your own student in this.

Think about what your doing, but don't overthink it to the point of standing still. Keep it as simple as possible. Pick up heavy thing, put heavy thing down. Repeat.

Make a plan starting with a H/L/M scheme.

Go work the plan, and take good notes during the week.

You will know if your going to heavy throughout the week. You will know if you can add some more into one of the days.

Go lift weights and have fun.

Quote:
So if you are quite advanced and do H L and M WEEKS is sound to me.

But if u progress and compress this in one week-like 2 days heavy and one day medium and the next week again-where is the recovery time u need from the greater workload?

2. The other point is, if i include then one more heavy day and the heavy day i did before consisted of 3x5-does that mean i do 3x5 2x the week then?

Or is the disruption on EACH of the days-for itself-on this specific day too small? In this case i could do 5x5 2x the week.

Of course there is some time till i get to this problems,but that was the only point i never understood in caseys writings or practical programming.

Perhaps u have an answer-its your favourite topic
I'll get back to this last part.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
flow
Brawn

Quote:
If this is the only thing you don't understand, then your way ahead of the game.

When to make the training day after a hvy day, either a medium or another hvy day is something that you have to figure out on your own. Listen to your own body. alot of this is just simply, how do you feel? Are you tired, do you show signs of over training, are you going backwards in your lifting,...etc?

The heavy, light, medium scheme can probably be used for seveal years with a solid plan of weight progression. Yes things will slow down as you work towards natural limits, but your own CNS will be the thing that you have to monitor.

Realize that, while all of caseys work is very good, you still have to adapt it to your own body. How John Grimek trained is not how I can train. You are your own student in this.

Think about what your doing, but don't overthink it to the point of standing still. Keep it as simple as possible. Pick up heavy thing, put heavy thing down. Repeat.

Make a plan starting with a H/L/M scheme.

Go work the plan, and take good notes during the week.

You will know if your going to heavy throughout the week. You will know if you can add some more into one of the days.

Go lift weights and have fun.

I'll get back to this last part.
true words. thx!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
^ This is an important point.

I train HHH because I can. I get plenty of rest and feel good, so I take no real L or M days.

I do use different exercises for each lift on each different day, but I also go heavy because my body handles it well.

You definitely can try 5x5 twice a week for the same bodypart. I train 5x5 or 5x5-10. I do it without issue.

I think the HLM is a good launching point, but you may find that the light days aren't fun, and want more of a challenge. Or you might find that the stresses of life make a light day enjoyable.

Whatever path you choose, always make sure that it fits your personality and body. I always recommend starting with the basics first, and then evolving as you go along.

You might start with a HLM, and end up with a HHH because you recover so well.

My main goal is that I feel good and my joints and strains are kept in check. If this is the case, I like to push myself for fun.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
flow
Brawn

Quote:
^ This is an important point.

I train HHH because I can. I get plenty of rest and feel good, so I take no real L or M days.

I do use different exercises for each lift on each different day, but I also go heavy because my body handles it well.

You definitely can try 5x5 twice a week for the same bodypart. I train 5x5 or 5x5-10. I do it without issue.

I think the HLM is a good launching point, but you may find that the light days aren't fun, and want more of a challenge. Or you might find that the stresses of life make a light day enjoyable.

Whatever path you choose, always make sure that it fits your personality and body. I always recommend starting with the basics first, and then evolving as you go along.

You might start with a HLM, and end up with a HHH because you recover so well.

My main goal is that I feel good and my joints and strains are kept in check. If this is the case, I like to push myself for fun.
then u really have good work capacity-but it seems u also cycle l m h via the exercises.

well my current trial is following:

train 2xthe week:

A:
5x5
Bench
lat pulldown

2x15
shoulder dumbbell press
row wide grip

B:
5x5
shoulder dumbbell press
row wide grip

2x15
bench
lat pulldown

C:
3x8-10
bench
row
dumbbell shoulder press
lat pulldown

On each day:
2x10-15
squat
swiss ball crunch
hypers

So i keep updated regarding the results!

Thank you again for input and encouragment!
flow
Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Best of luck Flow!

Hope it works well for you.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
flow
Brawn

Quote:
Best of luck Flow!

Hope it works well for you.