Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   help trying to decide fullbody or 5/3/1 (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4802)

CoopDawg 11-29-2010 04:00 PM

help trying to decide fullbody or 5/3/1

I am going into my 4th round of 5/3/1 I can either do this now or go ahead and switch to one of the classic challenge routines? help/ suggestions

bamazav 11-29-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoopDawg (Post 97054)
I am going into my 4th round of 5/3/1 I can either do this now or go ahead and switch to one of the classic challenge routines? help/ suggestions

Are you still seeing gains with 5/3//1? If so, stick with it for now. If you are not seeing gains, then consider another routine.

BendtheBar 11-29-2010 04:07 PM

I'm all for you trying a fullbody. In addition to it being a learning experience, more frequent training with fewer sets might really push you into the growth zone right now.

CoopDawg 11-29-2010 04:10 PM

Here's the thing, with 5/3/1 yes im constantly gaining strength and i love it because i can lift heavy most the time, but im never sore it cant push me hard enough, when i ran my fullbody for a month i could workout on a monday and thursday i would still be sore, i knew i was doing serious work, i just need the help on deciding, thanks btb wise guru, and thanks bamazav

glwanabe 11-29-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoopDawg (Post 97054)

The Reeves program would be the right program for you out of the 3.

You would really benefit from doing this fullbody program for a number of reasons.

Your going to increase your overall workload and conditioning. Don't be fooled by how simple it looks. Get up to full speed and your going to be kicking your own butt in the gym. You'll want that day of rest. BTW, this program is about half as long as Reeves own intermediate program.

Similer to Wendlers, this program has a built in deload after you reach the top of the rep range. Reach the top, increase the weight a little and start at the bottom and then climb again. It is just a much less complicated way of doing it.

That is not meant as a put down of Wendlers. It just that there is very little under the sun that has not already been worked out.

Like BTB said, this will be a great, and valuable learning experience. When I first started really looking into classic routines I said to myself, these guys did not know very much. I could not have been more wrong.

I spent a lot of time reading and learning just what was involved with this older programming style. The more I dug, the more I learned. After a time I came to this conclusion.

Fullbody routines are more complex in there execution than a modern split.

Thats my opinion, but there have been some of the strongest men in the world who trained in these methods. What people today say can't be done, was once how everybody trained who picked up a barbell.

If it was so wrong, how come they were so right?

CoopDawg 11-29-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 97071)
The Reeves program would be the right program for you out of the 3.

You would really benefit from doing this fullbody program for a number of reasons.

Your going to increase your overall workload and conditioning. Don't be fooled by how simple it looks. Get up to full speed and your going to be kicking your own butt in the gym. You'll want that day of rest. BTW, this program is about half as long as Reeves own intermediate program.

Similer to Wendlers, this program has a built in deload after you reach the top of the rep range. Reach the top, increase the weight a little and start at the bottom and then climb again. It is just a much less complicated way of doing it.

That is not meant as a put down of Wendlers. It just that there is very little under the sun that has not already been worked out.

Like BTB said, this will be a great, and valuable learning experience. When I first started really looking into classic routines I said to myself, these guys did not know very much. I could not have been more wrong.

I spent a lot of time reading and learning just what was involved with this older programming style. The more I dug, the more I learned. After a time I came to this conclusion.

Fullbody routines are more complex in there execution than a modern split.

Thats my opinion, but there have been some of the strongest men in the world who trained in these methods. What people today say can't be done, was once how everybody trained who picked up a barbell.

If it was so wrong, how come they were so right?

Very informational reply i have looked at both reeve's and reg park but if you truly believe reeve's would benefit me more ill give it a hell of a go, thanks for taking your time to post gl

bamazav 11-29-2010 04:41 PM

Coop, don't get me wrong. I am an advocate for classic style bodybuilding routines. I read this thread before I saw and read about the challenge. Having now done that and joined in on the challenge, I would encourage you to do the same. Like glwanabe said, well actually to paraphrase glb and btb, "it'll be good for ya." I have seen my largest and fastest gains in my last two cycles of my current fullbody routine. My biggest problem is that at my age, recovery is tough. to get around that, I take a recovery week every 5th week.

CoopDawg 11-29-2010 05:07 PM

I agree only problem is i dont want to stop 5/3/1 to early like i did my fullbody before should i run it one more time one more 4 week cycle

bamazav 11-29-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoopDawg (Post 97092)
I agree only problem is i dont want to stop 5/3/1 to early like i did my fullbody before should i run it one more time one more 4 week cycle

If you have done fullbody before, it wouldn't hurt you to do one short cycle of 5/3/1. If you have not done fullbody, or done it half heartily, I would move to your new routine but work it a little lighter to get used to the volume, tempo, rest and all.

Ultimately, you will have to make this call. The challenge doesn't start until Jan 1, so you need to decide how you are going to spend the next 4 weeks. Don't skate, either prepare for the new challenge or press hard with what you are doing.

kewl, I just broke 50. lol

CoopDawg 11-29-2010 05:18 PM

man i like 5/3/1 so much lol but i could always come back to it later, i guess i have a decision to make im going to think about it