Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default flat bench vs slight incline bench

I have been reading alot of pavel lately and he is a firm believer that the flat barbell bench press is a key chest builder(im sure we all agree), but he also says enough flat bench will give that look of droopy chest like a breast, wondering what you guys thoughts are on this, which are your favorites? which do you prefer?, i know some people dont even flat bench they always have a slight incline, just wanted to see some open opinions
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

Yea, my favorite strength coach is Ferruggia, and he stresses the importance of benching but he prefers incline over flat bench. Except in very raw beginning hardgainers
Fire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire36 View Post
Yea, my favorite strength coach is Ferruggia, and he stresses the importance of benching but he prefers incline over flat bench. Except in very raw beginning hardgainers
Yeah i see where he's coming from on that, ferrugia is pretty awesome i have a couple of his books
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

I have most of his stuff, I really like how he writes, short, sweet, no bull, to the point.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

yeah i know have you read his muscle gaining secrets
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Yep, after that was Triple Threat Muscle and now he just put out, Minimalist its pretty sic
Old 11-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

If your a beginner (less than 3 years hard core lifting), the flat bench hits the pecs great. Inclines are for vets hitting heavier weight and need the full pec's power, and to build upper pecs for the full and seperation look on stage for bbers.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
If your a beginner (less than 3 years hard core lifting), the flat bench hits the pecs great. Inclines are for vets hitting heavier weight and need the full pec's power, and to build upper pecs for the full and seperation look on stage for bbers.
only a little over a year lifting so definetly still considered a beginner, and yeah rich im going to also have that separation look someday for now ill kepp flat benchin and inclines just for a different angle
Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
only a little over a year lifting so definetly still considered a beginner, and yeah rich im going to also have that separation look someday for now ill kepp flat benchin and inclines just for a different angle
Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Stick with Flat Bench Press, and just add in some Incline Dumbell Bench Press, In the long run incline bench press just screws up the collar, bone and shoulders. I used to be stronger at my incline bench press when I first started lifting and even after a year or two was doing 275x4 on incline when my flat bench was only 295x3, as well as 305 on incline and only 315 on flat so it was pretty close. However after time, Incline bench press caused me more harm then benefits, giving me pain my rotator cuff and collar bone for the first time in my life.

Sure I have came a long way since then, but in my opinion incline bench press is obsolete compared to flat bench press and the Incline dumbbell variant that allows you to target more so your upper pecs that mostly shoulders with varying grips.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote