Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #21
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
cant wait to see this! hope its up before the week starts so i can hit it hard monday
I don't think I'll have all of it finalized before Monday. I expect to have them all posted by next Friday. There are aspects of these programs that I need to be sure are right, before I post them. BTB and I do this often with different programs. One program in particular is proving troublesome, but I'll get it ironed out.

The main issue is not having a program that is so hard it burns people out. Remember, most people have not trained like this. You and I are an exception, and I am still getting my conditioning back up to speed right now.

In addition BTB and I have talked, and we are going to have a set of guidelines that people can build their own programs from. There are going to limitations on several aspects of building programs. The type of equipment that can be used, as well has what must be done, and max number of sets per day for a movement.

We want this to fun, and challenging. It will not be a waste of time for people, as you will work hard doing this.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #22
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Awesome. I'll work with my routine for this week and switch over whenever the others are ready! Thanks GL
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Using your own routine for this challenge. Rules

Since this is a classic challenge we want to keep what equipment is used within a set list of what would have been used.

Barbells and Dumbells.
Racks for holding said bars, and benches.
Chin and Dip bars.

No modern machines like Smiths or Hammer type equipment.

Writing your program.
Your program must include as a minimimum a movement for each:

Legs * see note
Back
Shoulders
Chest

These can be compound movements but each session should as a minimum hit these areas and, in addition you must have at least one movement per week for:

direct bicep
direct calves
abs

You can do no more than 5 sets per movement per day. Reps are open.
You should have no more than 8 movements in any session.

You will perform the program 3X a week Mon Wed Fri.

If you have questons about a movement just post your question, and a determination will be made.

*deadlift will not count as a leg movement

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-29-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
strkout35
Max Brawn

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Are there any stipulations for heavy/light days? Or is that up to us. I'm probably gonna take my routine and add the direct bicep work that's it
Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #25
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

im definetly keepin an eye on this
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #26
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

most people probably just see this as a fun challenge but one could also make good gains running a fullbody for 3 months i only ran one for 1 month an it upped my lifts
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
Are there any stipulations for heavy/light days? Or is that up to us. I'm probably gonna take my routine and add the direct bicep work that's it
I don't think so. HLM style was generally used by these lifters either directly, or intuitively, so having a lighter day is perfectly acceptable.

I know personally I need to mix up the exercises, and while this isn't classic HLM, some exercises feel "lighter" than other to me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #28
strkout35
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't think so. HLM style was generally used by these lifters either directly, or intuitively, so having a lighter day is perfectly acceptable.

I know personally I need to mix up the exercises, and while this isn't classic HLM, some exercises feel "lighter" than other to me.
yeah i've been reading alot of the casey butt stuff talking about exercises being Heavy light or medium in nature such as bench press (H), Flyes (L), Dips (M). Trying to learn as much as possible

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #29
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
1. Most people probably just see this as a fun challenge.

2. One could also make good gains running a fullbody for 3 months.

3. I only ran one for 1 month an it upped my lifts.
1. I think some people would think, why bother at all with such an old style of programming. My 5 day split works perfectly well.
What most people don't realize is that the modern split is not modern at all. It was around back in the golden age, but was not used as it is today. The split was a specialty routine usually reserved for use just before a competition.

Going back to study the history of bodybuilding and how programming has changed will reveal a lot of information. Somebody is always trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to barbell sports. Most of the time it is somebody trying to sell you a new and improved product that was never broke in the first place.

2. Could is the key word here.

What people fail to realize is this. A fullbody routine is superior to a split for most people who have not had a steady 3 years of training. There are always exceptions but, for natural lifting, fullbody (bodybuilding) is the way to go. Powerlifting, and Olympic lifting are specialty sports. They will benefit from programs designed specifically for them.

Why is fullbody superior for the first 3 years. It comes to natural limits, and the natural slowdown in gains as you build closer to them. Take two identical people who start lifting, one using fullbody, and one using a Weider type split.
The fullbody lifter will be ahead of the split lifter for a few years. However the fullbody persons gains will slow, and the split person will eventually catch up.

That is only one aspect to consider though. Not everything that is new is bad. There is a lot of good information we have learned over the years about the body and how weight training can be used. The worst thing as I see it, is the notion that it must be complicated. That is pure BS. These super complicated programs are usually being marketed to get you to buy into somebodys way of doing what should be a very simple process. It is about making money off of people.

Weider was succesful in doing this with his programming and selling of his way of doing things. He has been both good, and extremely bad for the sport.

3. This is typical of too many people.

Something worked and yet you stopped doing it, I read this all the time. Golden age training is not easy! It is very hard, it is supposed to be hard. It is as much about total body conditioning as it is the individual movements.

Young lifters today see fullbody as a beginner program. They don't want to be labled a beginner so they abandon the program that will help them mature the fastest to use something that satisfies their ego. They don't want to be seen as using a beginners program.

Splits definately have a place, and can be utilized to great success. I recomend splits for certain aspects of training.

I'll add this as well.

This is my opinion and anybody is free to disagree with it. I formed this opinion after reading a lot of information and talking with some people much smarter than me about this subject.

Some of my favorite people I like to get information from are:

Steve Shaw
Casey Butt

interviews of classic age lifters.

To be continued.

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-28-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would also add that there is some evidence that more frequent training with a lower daily volume of sets is a better approach for hardgainers/ectomorphs than training once a week with high volume.

While I do not wish to turn this into a scientific discussion, I will say that there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that this is the case - from the modern (Rippetoe to Starr to McRoberts) to the classic.

In either case, this is merely a fun challenge that involves serious training. It's a good opportunity to learn how your body handles full body workouts.

A few months back I (finally) ran a full body workout for a month and it taught me quite a bit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote