Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #241
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Carl that post was amazing buddy.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #242
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
Carl that post was amazing buddy.
Cheers mate I appreciate that. Hopefully if someone reas it, it might help. Its one thing being told not to do something at the start of a program, but its a different thing when you can see someone that has done it anyway (as well all do) and see that it WILL affect you. I am the worlds worst for thinking 'well I'll be OK....'.

Like i said hopefully it might help someone

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #243
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn

bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Cheers mate I appreciate that. Hopefully if someone reas it, it might help. Its one thing being told not to do something at the start of a program, but its a different thing when you can see someone that has done it anyway (as well all do) and see that it WILL affect you. I am the worlds worst for thinking 'well I'll be OK....'.

Like i said hopefully it might help someone

Carl.
I can honestly say all your write ups and Gl's coaching have helped me dramatically
Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #244
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
I can honestly say all your write ups and Gl's coaching have helped me dramatically
Thanks buddy.... GL has been awesome helping me too mate. He actually re-read through my log yesterday, just so he knew how to tweak my program going forward... top guy

Carl.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #245
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn

He is a great guy Carl. I couldn't ask for a better trainer and its free lol!!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #246
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Now let someone tell you that a fullbody is only for beginners, or you will build more muscle on a split. Then tell them to go back to flex magazine and boil their head
Great write up.

I've made my fair share of mistakes, but I think they are necessary for the process. Since fullbody workouts aren't programs that you swap every 6-8 weeks like in the split mindset, mistakes are vital to the process of evolving your training. or better said, learning from mistakes.

It is becoming more apparent to me that to spot someone who will be successful on their own using a fullbody, you look for someone who has a keen eye towards mistakes. You want to see someone making small adjustments, or needing small adjustments.

This tells me that they are in tune with the process, and will adapt and change as needed rather than doing random stuff like wanting to add a Russian squat program out of the blue. (Nothing against trying new things, but I think everyone knows what I am talking about here...)

I'm learning a lot from you Carl, and because of your write ups I have been better able to process my journey.

Great work all around.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #247
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Great write up.

I've made my fair share of mistakes, but I think they are necessary for the process. Since fullbody workouts aren't programs that you swap every 6-8 weeks like in the split mindset, mistakes are vital to the process of evolving your training. or better said, learning from mistakes.

It is becoming more apparent to me that to spot someone who will be successful on their own using a fullbody, you look for someone who has a keen eye towards mistakes. You want to see someone making small adjustments, or needing small adjustments.

This tells me that they are in tune with the process, and will adapt and change as needed rather than doing random stuff like wanting to add a Russian squat program out of the blue. (Nothing against trying new things, but I think everyone knows what I am talking about here...)

I'm learning a lot from you Carl, and because of your write ups I have been better able to process my journey.

Great work all around.
This means the world to me Steve... honestly

I think the mistakes i have made have been necessary. i have learnt from them and I am learning more about my own body every session - even when i thought i knew how it would react and what my strong and weak points would be, it has still surprised me. I knew squats would be fairly strong, but i though Deadlifts would be weaker. I knew shoulders wouldnt be great, but i thought chest would be stronger. I knew dips would be strong, but i thought Bi's would be weaker... those kind of things. But also how I recover. i thought i was superman and could train 4/5 days per week, but it appears Im not lol, 3 days has suited me just fine, the extra rest really is welcome.

I'm really enjoying the journey and if my write ups have helped anyone then thats a real bonus....

Carl.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #248
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
6 Weeks in to the challenge and doing a Fullbody (properly) for the first time. i say that because i have done one before, but i ran it for about a month when i first started, before i was told by the other people in the gym that a 'split' would build WAY more muscle than a fullbody, cos fullbodies are only any good for beginners !!!!!

Just a quick word on the program. I am running the Reeves Classic. Im not a beginner by any means to weight training, but Im no where near advanced either, im just like most people. i have worked out, sometime had lay off, sometimes changed routines, normally for something that will 'definitely give me better result, but never really did. I have however I think finally settled in to the program. it has taken me 6 weeks to adapt with a couple, well a few mistakes along the way.

The mistakes I have made have all been around doing too much. I have wanted to push the progression to get myself back to where I was before I started the program, using the same kind of weights.

Mistake number 1. The weights I used before (ie on a split, 5/3/1, whatever) are irrelevant. The rep ranges were different, the work preceading the exercise was different and the exercise its self was probably different.

Mistake Number 2. I have pushed the progression to hard at times. I havent stalled, and I havent gone backwards. I have made good progrress, but I could have done it a bit more gradually. I have pushed too hard and ended up aching (a lot), a bit tired and this has (slightly) affected the remaining workouts for the week.

Mistake Number 3. I have taken my eye of the fact that the 'weeks session' is what you are trying to get through. I have fallen victim at times of the split mentality of batter yourself into submission on every workout cos you have a week before that muscle is worked again. The 'muscle' worked on the fullbody program is the 'fullbosy' itself. Dont batter it in to submission every workout, because it needs to be worked again in 48 hours. Push progression at all times, but dont it at the expense of the rest of the weeks work. If you are gonna 'rep out' then do it on the last session so you have 2 days off to recover.

I am not an authority on this type of workout, but I have dipped my toe in the fullbody water and hopefully if someone else is thinking of doing it too they can learn from my mistakes. I have stil however had great success with this program. it is exciting and fresh everytime i step in the gym. I havenet really stalled and definitely havent gone backwards. Now, however it is time to get serious. At 6 weeks in your are primed to work the program well. I have dropped the weights/reps back a little on a couple of sets, so i can now build steadily as my 'newbie fullbody gains' are drying up and I am starting to move some proper weight again.

I said dont compare the weight to what has been lifted before, because you dont lift the same amount of weight as you would on a split, mainly beacuse of the exercise order and because I have always trained in the 6-8 rep range and those few extra reps per set really do make you work. That being said even taking all that in to account I am still gonna be lifting the same or heavier weights than i ever have before soon on this program AND for more reps. Now let someone tell you that a fullbody is only for beginners, or you will build more muscle on a split. Then tell them to go back to flex magazine and boil their head

hope this helps

Carl.
Great write up Carl. Might be helpful and fun if all of us participating in the challenge did a similar write up. Maybe a "Fullbody Lessons Learned" theme. What do you all think?

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #249
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Great write up Carl. Might be helpful and fun if all of us participating in the challenge did a similar write up. Maybe a "Fullbody Lessons Learned" theme. What do you all think?
Cetainly couldnt hurt.... I know putting everything Im thinking/feeling has helped me

Carl.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #250
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn

Quote:
Cetainly couldnt hurt.... I know putting everything Im thinking/feeling has helped me

Carl.
wish I didnt suck at describing how I'm feeling through written words. I guess thats why I was a musician and not a writer lol