Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #161
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

To quote Alwyn Cosgrove:

Quote:
And I'd say that maybe 90-95% of the population, 90-95% of the time, will respond best to either total body or an upper and lower split. Now, the numbers may not be exact, but if you read what I said as "the majority of people" you'll see what I mean.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #162
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Just to add on to what Carl said.. I ran a full body routine for a bit last year and it was brutal!! If I didn't just start a new routine 2 weeks ago I'd definitely be in for this.
bigtim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #163
lou72
New Brawn
Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

lou72 is off to a good startlou72 is off to a good startlou72 is off to a good start

Ok, a fullbody program can work, but isn't using one sort of like choosing to drive a 1955 car when you could be driving a new car? If they are so good then why has the modern split system become the way everybody trains?
lou72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #164
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou72 View Post
Ok, a fullbody program can work, but isn't using one sort of like choosing to drive a 1955 car when you could be driving a new car? If they are so good then why has the modern split system become the way everybody trains?
The modern split system works but so does the fullbody program. Different strokes for different folks. The whole car analogy falls short because we aren't cars and our basic genitics haven't changed like automobiles. If something worked in the 50's why would it fail to get results today?
bigtim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #165
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Think I'll find a chair for a little while.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #166
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou72 View Post
I would equate it as follows:

Modern bodybuilding splits are based on rocket fuel - rocket fuel being steroids. If you have rocket fuel, then ignore fullbody workouts.

If you don't have rocket fuel then start with a fullbody and evolve your training based on needs, and not just because Jay Cutler does X.

Sure, you might need a split in the future. Sure, you might thrive on a split in the future. But you don't jump into a 5 day split full of isolation work and 16-20 sets per bodypart without a reason.

Start slow. Use core compounds lifts. Learn your body. Evolve. Fullbody, split whatever...just return training to common sense.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #167
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Here's a little information about the modern split system.

It isn't modern at all. Split training has been around for over 60yrs.

There is a long story about how split style training rose to the top, and it has very little to do with it being a better way to train for most people.

To properly get into this we need to look at Joe Weider and all of his training principles. Here is an important point to remember about Joe Weider. He is a buisnessman who is selling a product. His primary goal is to seperate you from your money with his products. One of his earliest products was in publishing. He needed to sell magazines to make money.

Gotta run for now.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #168
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

presently, i'm doing a split routine. I've done upper-lower body splits for around 5 years, and then powerlifting for a year, all with getting great results. I started to split routine just to switch things around a bit and have been getting great results, i always know i can go back to fullbody or upper/lower body split if things stall on me with split routines and continue to make progress..thats just my 2 cents

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #169
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I've almost always trained with a split. I just want guys to know this so they have a reference point. But I also never knew that fullbody workouts existed.

Splits are viable. But with that said, most magazine style splits are not the most efficient way to train for a natural.

But the older I get, the more my philosophy is transitioning to fullbody workouts as a starting point. Once a trainee is making gains and rocking progress, I don't particularly care how they train. They know their body better than I, and are hopefully evolving their training around their individual needs.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #170
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

@ lou and @ butter, guys are you serious, i have ran the splits and guess what i could use bigger weights/never got tired/never sore-NOW IM RUNNING FULLBODY, and it whoops my arse/ im always tired and sore/ and with only a few workouts in im noticing changes and pr's already try the fullbody and see what you guys think, and most of us are not running the fullbody for 3 months i know for fact me and btb are running it a year with slight tweaks along the way
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote