Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #91
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Okay thanks gl just read the update
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #92
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Lets say on an offday such as a saturday can i go in and max out to see where i stand its beeen a little over a month since maxing out? their yours and btb's programs gl i want to follow your orders thats why im asking
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #93
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Coop.

The reason I say no is this.

You have only done 1 incomplete session of the program. even at that you commented about how it will tear you down. YES, you can easily work yourself into a smoking hole with this, "Simple" program.

Spend some time working the program, and finding your workset weights that really let you get into a groove. As I said in the original writeup, it is the weeks work, not just the daily work where you need to judge where you may need to make small adjustments to your weights.

I did this basic program, and worked hard at it for several months. I made small changes along the way based on how I was feeling, and taking into account various injuries I have accumulated over the years. I have a few things I need to work around. this shoulder issue is the latest PIA issue to deal with.

Give this program an honest effort, work hard at it, but listen to your body and how you are recovering. It is going to take a little time for your CNS to adapt to this workload. You will adapt!!

Don't worry about perfoming max attempts. Work on pushing to increase the reps to the top of the rep range, then increase your workset weight, and start at the bottom of the rep range.

Doing this program of reps increase and then slight weight increase with lower reps, is a load, deload cycle. Similer, but not the same as what you were doing.

You should be able to bury me if you work smart at this program. Your 19, I'm 48. Who do you think should have the better chance of kicking butt with smart hard work?

That noise you hear behind you is ME. When you hear me say, "On your left" that means I'm passing you. I'm closer than you think. I'm about done warming up, and ready to lift some weight again. Lets go!
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #94
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
Lets say on an offday such as a saturday can i go in and max out to see where i stand its beeen a little over a month since maxing out? their yours and btb's programs gl i want to follow your orders thats why im asking
Even if you did this it would not be accurate. If your working the program honestly and putting your ass into it in the gym, Saturday will not have you in any condition to try for a max. Your numbers will be way off.

I know you want to see how strong you are, but trust me. Don't worry about it. Just stick to the plan. You have a lot of strength left to develop. Besides, if you work hard whatever your max is today will be your workset number in 3 months.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #95
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Coop.

The reason I say no is this.

You have only done 1 incomplete session of the program. even at that you commented about how it will tear you down. YES, you can easily work yourself into a smoking hole with this, "Simple" program.

Spend some time working the program, and finding your workset weights that really let you get into a groove. As I said in the original writeup, it is the weeks work, not just the daily work where you need to judge where you may need to make small adjustments to your weights.

I did this basic program, and worked hard at it for several months. I made small changes along the way based on how I was feeling, and taking into account various injuries I have accumulated over the years. I have a few things I need to work around. this shoulder issue is the latest PIA issue to deal with.

Give this program an honest effort, work hard at it, but listen to your body and how you are recovering. It is going to take a little time for your CNS to adapt to this workload. You will adapt!!

Don't worry about perfoming max attempts. Work on pushing to increase the reps to the top of the rep range, then increase your workset weight, and start at the bottom of the rep range.

Doing this program of reps increase and then slight weight increase with lower reps, is a load, deload cycle. Similer, but not the same as what you were doing.

You should be able to bury me if you work smart at this program. Your 19, I'm 48. Who do you think should have the better chance of kicking butt with smart hard work?

That noise you hear behind you is ME. When you hear me say, "On your left" that means I'm passing you. I'm closer than you think. I'm about done warming up, and ready to lift some weight again. Lets go!
after reading this you are right gl, say i can deadlift 250x1(this is imagninary i dont know my max), deadlifting 250x8-12 would be badass so like you said im gonna run the program, get the workset weights set and hit all the working reps and work my butt off!!!! thanks again gl
Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #96
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Even if you did this it would not be accurate. If your working the program honestly and putting your ass into it in the gym, Saturday will not have you in any condition to try for a max. Your numbers will be way off.

I know you want to see how strong you are, but trust me. Don't worry about it. Just stick to the plan. You have a lot of strength left to develop. Besides, if you work hard whatever your max is today will be your workset number in 3 months.
Thanks man
Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #97
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:

This quote alone should be a sticky and made mandatory reading by every new lifter. We sometimes get too caught up in the max.

When moving cinder blocks, I have never tried or seen anyone gather as many as they can hold and then lift them once. Real life is usually a series of actions. It is fun to find your one rep max, but not necessary.

I am proof to the work the program principle. I started 2009 with an empty bar and just kept plugging along . I am now squatting 250+ for reps and have dead lifted 300 for reps. Where I have really noticed the difference is in my functional strength. I am able to do things, move things I never was able to do before.

I understand that you want to "know" your max, but it really isn't necessary to your getting stronger. You can get an idea from the routine what your max is and set your weights by that. The reality is that if you follow the plan, you WILL be stronger at the end of the program.
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #98
glwanabe
Max Brawn

The INSPIRED by process of the programs.

The inspired by process is really very simple. While these are not the exact programs any of the people used,
they simply try to capture a basic feeeling of some aspect that I picked out. The idea as I've said was to have some varience
in the programs so as to offer some variety. I also tried to stay within a set of guidelines for each one.
Those guidelines are the same that were listed for you to build your own progam from.

Listed below is the Steve Reeves Challenge program that I put together. Below that are Steves actual programs
that he used at various times in his career. He probably used many others as well. All these routines of his
are in his book, as well as historical publications.

All of the programs for the challenge were developed in the same fashion. I tried to have each one pose a
slightly harder challange. That does not mean that any of them lack in there programming to work for anybody.
Simply that, as is true today, even in the golden age there were many different ways to train.

The key word to remember is Inspired by, not directly taken from. If you have read the Marvin Eder interview I think you will see the process is evident in that program as well. The Park program is no different.

Reeves classic physique

squat..........3x8-12
bb row........3x8-12....DL 3x5* see note
bhp............3x8-12
bench.........3x8-12
BB/DB curl...3x8-12
dips............5x10@BW Try for sets of 10, but do what you can.
BB calf raise 3x15-20
abs

Perform M-W-F

**On Friday drop BB row and do 3x5 deadlifts** Deadlifts are to be done Reg park style. 2 warmup/ 1 heavy work set.

These are some routines that Reeves actually used

Steve Reeves beginner routine

Steve Reeves Ė Mr. America, 1947, Mr. World, 1948,
Mr. Universe, 1950.

He started weight training at the age of 16. He was 6 ft
tall and weighed 156 lbs. He devised this basic program himself after reading
the publications available at the time. This is still a solid program.

Exercise Sets Reps:

1. Cleans 1 10
2. Military Press 1 10
3. Bench Press 1 10
4. Bent Over Rows 1 10
5. Reverse Curl 1 10
6. Regular Curl 1 10
7. Squats 1 10
8. Breathing DB Pullover 1 10
9. Good Mornings 1 10
10. Breathing Lateral Raise 1 10

He did this routine 3 days a week, M, W, & F.

Once he was able to reach 12 reps for any exercise, he
would immediately push the weight up so that he could
barely do 10 reps.

Every exercise was done with a strict style. After 3
months, he did 2 sets for each exercise instead of one.

Steve Reevesí Intermediate Routine!
Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Swings (warm-ups) 3 15-20
1. Upright Rowing 3 8-12
2. Bench Press 3 8-12
3. One-Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 8-12
4. Dumbbell Laterals/Flyes 3 8-12
5. Incline Press 3 8-12
6. Triceps Pushdown 3 8-12
7. Barbell Curls 3 8-12
8. Seated Dumbbell Curls 3 8-12
9. Regular Squats 3 8-12
(superset with following exercise)
10. Light Barbell Pullovers 3 8-12
11. Breathing Squats 1 20
(superset with following exercise)
12. Breathing Pullovers 1 20
13. Deadlifts 2 8-12
14. Good Mornings 2 8-12

Steve did this program 3 times a
week, but he also advised that, if you
could do it, a 3 day a week schedule of training Monday
morning, Wednesday evening, and Saturday morning was
even better since it allowed for more recovery time than
training 3 times a week at the same time each workout day.

Steve Reeves Advanced routine

Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Swings (warm-ups) 1 20
1. Upright Rowing 3 8-12
2. Press Behind Neck 3 8-12
3. Bent Over Lateral Raises 3 8-12
4. Bench Press 3 8-12
5. Dumbbell Incline Press 3 8-12
6. Dumbbell Offset Flyes 3 8-12
7. Lat Pulldowns Behind Neck 3 8-12
8. Low Pulley Seated Lat Pull 3 8-12
9. One Arm Row 3 8-12
10. Incline Bench Dumbbell Curls 6 8-12
11. High Pulley Bench Curl 3 8-12
12. Concentration Curls 1 8-12
13. Triceps Pushdown 3 8-12
14. Dumbbell French Press-
Behind-Neck 3 8-12
15. One-Arm Triceps Cross Over 3 8-12
16. Half Squat 3 8-12
17. Hack Squat 2 8-12
18. Front Squat 2 8-12
19. Leg Curls 2 8-12
20. Leg Press Calf Raise 3 20-25
21. Good Morning 3 12-15
22. Knee Raises 2 12-15
23. Partner Assisted Neck Flexion 1 15-20

Workout Frequency: Steve did this full body program
3 times a week! He said the ideal schedule for him was
Monday morning, Wednesday evening, and Saturday
morning because it allowed for more recovery time (than
training 3 times a week at the same time each workout
day). He also said that it allowed him 4 days for complete
muscle recovery.

Last edited by glwanabe; 02-13-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #99
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

The last routine, 23 exercises, 2 - 3 sets each is an incredible amount of volume and totally contrary to everything we hear today about in and out in 60 minutes or less if possible. What about over training or burnout? This kind of routine kinda flies in the face of that thought. You rarely see anyone doing this many different exercises in one session these days. Raises the question, Do we expect too little from our bodies these days?
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #100
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't think I could do his advanced routine.

One thing that differs in the old school era is that lifters often added volume as years passed. They evolved their training..Anderson, Hepburn, etc....evolved towards more volume.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote