Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   so I tried full body workouts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4756)

dildobaggins 11-24-2010 08:28 AM

so I tried full body workouts

I knwo I'm new here but I have to get this off my chest. I'm a beginner so I thought I'd give this method a try, and oh boy do I regret it. I don't care if you are a beginner, an intermediate or an advanced lifter, never EEEEEEver do a full body workout three days a week. Stick to training each muscle group once a week. Trust me I've had to learn the hard way this past week that that is whats best. Anyhow for those beginners thinking of doing full body work outs take my advice and stick to split training.

Omar 11-24-2010 09:29 AM

Why do you not recommend full body workouts? They appear to be the standard routine prescribed for beginners. I've been following the writing of Casey Butt who wrote that even advanced bodybuilders used them in the off-season before drugs became widely used and saved split routines prior to competition. To make them work beyond the novice stage, you need to vary intensity through the week, e.g. the schedule on a 3-day a week full body programme might look like this: 1st workout 5RM, 2nd workout 15RM, 3rd workout 10RM, 4th workout repeat cycle with a little more weight.

dildobaggins 11-24-2010 09:48 AM

You can't get enough work in for arms, abs, traps and other small muscles. You're tired after doing compounds and would have to workout 2 hours a day.

glwanabe 11-24-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dildobaggins (Post 95906)
I knwo I'm new here but I have to get this off my chest. I'm a beginner so I thought I'd give this method a try, and oh boy do I regret it. I don't care if you are a beginner, an intermediate or an advanced lifter, never EEEEEEver do a full body workout three days a week. Stick to training each muscle group once a week. Trust me I've had to learn the hard way this past week that that is whats best. Anyhow for those beginners thinking of doing full body work outs take my advice and stick to split training.

You don't know what you are talking about. When I have time and I'm not at work, we can talk about this.

Fullbody workouts are complex and require some knowledge to implement them correctly.

Post the whole workout that you were doing, including sets, reps, and weights used. GL

glwanabe 11-24-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dildobaggins (Post 95924)
You can't get enough work in for arms, abs, traps and other small muscles. You're tired after doing compounds and would have to workout 2 hours a day.

Several decades of bodybuilders who have succeeded at this have already proved you to be wrong with this statement.

Most people simply don't understand how to do a fullbody properly. Your not unique in failing at it, because you don't know what your doing.

dildobaggins 11-24-2010 10:38 AM

Monday
–Bench Press 3 x 6-10
–Squat 1 x 20 or Leg Press 3 x 10 to 20
–Barbell Rows 3 x 6-10
–One Arm Side Laterals 2 x 8-15
–Calf Raises 2 x 10-20
–DB Curls or Pinwheel Curls 2 x 6-12
–Abs

Wednesday
–Deadlift 3×5 (Reg Park Style…working up to 1 heavy set)
–Seated Overhead Press 3 x 6-10
–Romanian Deadlifts 3 x 6-10
–Barbell Shrugs 2 x 6-15
–Closegrip Bench Press 3 x 6-10
–Side Bends 2 x 6-12
–Abs

Friday
–DB Bench Press 3 x 6-10
–Squat 3 x 6-10
–Pullups or Lat Pull Down 3 x 6-10
–Rear Laterals 2 x 8-15
–Calf Raises 2 x 10-20
–Barbell Curls 2 x 6-12
–Abs

glwanabe 11-24-2010 10:40 AM

What are your workset weights?
How long have you been lifting?
How many workouts did you do of this?

DMedley 11-24-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dildobaggins (Post 95924)
You can't get enough work in for arms, abs, traps and other small muscles.

How much direct work do you feel these small muscle groups need when you are a beginner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dildobaggins (Post 95929)
Monday
–Bench Press 3 x 6-10
–Squat 1 x 20 or Leg Press 3 x 10 to 20
–Barbell Rows 3 x 6-10
–One Arm Side Laterals 2 x 8-15
–Calf Raises 2 x 10-20
–DB Curls or Pinwheel Curls 2 x 6-12
–Abs

How long did this workout take you?
How much rest time did you take between sets?

Fire36 11-24-2010 12:06 PM

Glad some experienced guys jumped on this. I'm still what would be considered an advanced beginner in the gym. But full body workouts have done wonders for me, as much as you are doing its no wonder you are so exhausted. I do NO more than 5 different lifts and all are compound lifts. I steer as far away from ISO's as I can right now, with that said my goals are probably different from you.
If you want the skinny on full body workouts and how good they can be read what Jason Ferruggia writes on them. Good luck

CoopDawg 11-24-2010 12:09 PM

I don't think you fully understand all the muscles that are hit during COMPOUND exercises, you could probably squat and do nothing else for months and gain mass, compound exercises work multiple muscles, i feel squats can engage the whole body and deadlifts as well, there's nothing like picking up heavy shit from the floor, and bench press works chest, shoulders, tri's i mean you dont need much else