Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Squat question (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474)

TitanWIP 08-04-2009 07:55 PM

Squat question

What set and rep scheme do you use with squats? And have you ever tried a 20 rep set? I am looking to change up my leg workout and looking for suggestions.

And what about leg extensions, leg presses, and other leg work. What's good to go with squats?

swoleramon 08-06-2009 05:39 PM

20 rep sets will kill you. I recommend working your way up to 20 each week.

bwys61 08-06-2009 06:50 PM

20 reps sets are stupid, unless you are training for an expedition in the mountains. Just my opinion. 15 is my top rep for anything, except bodyweight exercises.

BendtheBar 08-06-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwys61 (Post 2336)
20 reps sets are stupid, unless you are training for an expedition in the mountains. Just my opinion. 15 is my top rep for anything, except bodyweight exercises.

I agree that 15 is about the upper limit for any exercise, except maybe calves.

And for squats, 10 is plenty. Multiple 6-10 rep sets of squats will kill you, as long as you are pushing for progression each workout.

It is fun to try a 20 rep set. I did them several times last year. Primarily, they kill your lower back - which I do NOT like. Especially if you deadlift.

nighttrain 08-06-2009 07:09 PM

my buddy was doing a program that did 20 set squats.... he only did it for a couple of workouts and the he was like screw that...

BendtheBar 08-06-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 2342)
my buddy was doing a program that did 20 set squats.... he only did it for a couple of workouts and the he was like screw that...

Yeah, exactly. That's how I felt after 2 weeks of 20's. It took me 10 minutes to get my breathing normal.

People (women) at my wife's work often comment that weight training isn't cardio/aerobic. I tell my wife to instruct them to do one set of 20 reppers, and see if they keep that opinion.

nighttrain 08-07-2009 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 2350)
Yeah, exactly. That's how I felt after 2 weeks of 20's. It took me 10 minutes to get my breathing normal.

People (women) at my wife's work often comment that weight training isn't cardio/aerobic. I tell my wife to instruct them to do one set of 20 reppers, and see if they keep that opinion.

right, i feel the same way after i push thru a set of clean and presses...

BendtheBar 08-07-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 2357)
right, i feel the same way after i push thru a set of clean and presses...

My style of training is almost entirely rest-pause sets, so it keeps my heart rate elevated.

BendtheBar 08-08-2009 05:27 AM

Titan...I would be doing leg presses as well, if I had that piece of equipment in my home gym. Front squats are also good, as are leg extensions. For me, leg extensions kind of reach a breaking point where my form gets sloppy - so I start using higher intensity tricks to up the ante.

bwys61 08-08-2009 03:42 PM

Lunges, step ups, and leg presses go best with squats if you don't have reverse hypers, glute-ham raises, back extensions and/or leg curls. Just make sure you give the hams more than the quads