Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
PCT
Max Brawn
Points: 4,446, Level: 42 Points: 4,446, Level: 42 Points: 4,446, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 5.75 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DB Presses
Fav Supp: Purus Labs Amino.D
PCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Should be doable. I used to do my manmaker workout just once a week and couldn't walk for a few days,at least not long distances. Did it for about 6 weeks until I decided it was too brutal to continue.
too maany twankies bro... lol

looks like hell
PCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCT View Post

but why not work up to a heavy weight then drop back down to a 20 rep set widowmaker style...

I've done this as well. There's nothing wrong with it as far as my opinion go's. I was more than anything defending the postulate of the original post.

im not saying bigger weights cause more muscle growth... because that completelly the opposite... if i wanted my legs to grow faster i would def do some 20 rep squats.. rpobally just once a wekk though... probally do something like this

warmup:

135x10
185x10

working sets:

225x20

then guage how i feel afterwards to see how much more weight i can do...

i have actually decided to add in alot of 20 rep exercises for my assc. work...
Quote:
20 rep squats are more mental than anything for me...

but 4 of my sets that workout were in the 90% range and that shit takes a toll lol
I hear you on the mental aspect of the 20 rep stuff. I like your plan as a way to step up into the higher % work zone. There is also the aspect of the conditioning effect that these higher rep sets have. I think 70% of max is a good place to start to work from, and go from there in most cases.

I really think most people would have to pull back midweek to a lower % of max number so as to be able to work Monday and Friday at 70% or better.

I definately agree that 90% and above is brutal. I don't see a need to work there to often unless your training for that lift as part of a new max attampt. 85% is generally plenty high.

A little lower on the % numbers helps to save the joints for future years down the road. At 48 my body has suddenly decided that it will start to dictate terms to me on what I can do.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
PCT
Max Brawn

PCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributorPCT is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I hear you on the mental aspect of the 20 rep stuff. I like your plan as a way to step up into the higher % work zone. There is also the aspect of the conditioning effect that these higher rep sets have. I think 70% of max is a good place to start to work from, and go from there in most cases.

I really think most people would have to pull back midweek to a lower % of max number so as to be able to work Monday and Friday at 70% or better.

I definately agree that 90% and above is brutal. I don't see a need to work there to often unless your training for that lift as part of a new max attampt. 85% is generally plenty high.

A little lower on the % numbers helps to save the joints for future years down the road. At 48 my body has suddenly decided that it will start to dictate terms to me on what I can do.
yeah couldnt go balls to the wall on the 20 rep sets three days a week...

would need alot of rest and food to recover from a routine like that
Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Check out the Casey Butt thread, if you haven't already in the BB forum. There is a lot if info in there on fullbody heavy light med training days.

A lot of this is covered in there.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
PCT
Max Brawn

Quote:
Check out the Casey Butt thread, if you haven't already in the BB forum. There is a lot if info in there on fullbody heavy light med training days.

A lot of this is covered in there.
i will sometime...

i run westside right now... so no need for any other training theories... it has done wonders for me
Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
i will sometime...

i run westside right now... so no need for any other training theories... it has done wonders for me
Thats an important aspect. Find something you like that works, and stick with it.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
PCT
Max Brawn

Quote:
Thats an important aspect. Find something you like that works, and stick with it.
yeah no use to change it... i set several personal reocrds every week... keeps my motivation through the roof... a getting yoked out is a plus lol