Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Dumbbell pullovers good for rib cage expansion? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648)

MikeC 11-11-2010 09:09 AM

Dumbbell pullovers good for rib cage expansion?
 
Are dumbbell pullovers good for rib cage expansion or is this a myth?

bamazav 11-11-2010 09:32 AM

The old timers believed in them. You look at most of the routines from 50 years ago or longer and then almost all include pullovers following squats. I personally love them following hard squats. May not expand my rib cage, but I sure feel better after doing them.

PCT 11-11-2010 10:32 AM

I have heard two things...

1.) overtime they will expand the rib cage

&

2.) it is a myth beccause you can not make the rib cage expand


so who knows

#Maverick# 11-11-2010 11:00 AM

technically you can expand up to the age of 25-26 by stretching cartilage, but no studies to back it up so who knows

jax larue 11-11-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 92397)
The old timers believed in them. You look at most of the routines from 50 years ago or longer and then almost all include pullovers following squats. I personally love them following hard squats. May not expand my rib cage, but I sure feel better after doing them.

Except for the first course of The Markberry Barbell Courses where you did the pullover with a barbell then did the squat next and I think the pullover was a few exercises later in the first of the old Milo Barbell Courses but i'm not for sure i'd have to go did my copy out.

jax larue 11-11-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Maverick# (Post 92406)
technically you can expand up to the age of 25-26 by stretching cartilage, but no studies to back it up so who knows

38 here and have gotten good results with them even though i'm in my 30's.

BigFiveFive 11-11-2010 01:05 PM

Ive do them quite often, never heard about them being in correlation with squats, I usually preform them on chest day, I feel it most in my upper chest, lats, and obliques. I usually go pretty heavy and get a good expansion of the ribcage. I personally believe they help widen the ribs, nothing extreme, but I usually feel muscle hypertrophy when doing them.

BendtheBar 11-11-2010 02:26 PM

I tried them a few times in my early 20's, but never after squats.

jax larue 11-11-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 92442)
I tried them a few times in my early 20's, but never after squats.

same here.if only I had access to the info then i do now.Things would have been diffrent:(

BendtheBar 11-11-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax larue (Post 92453)
same here.if only I had access to the info then i do now.Things would have been diffrent:(

The only source I had when I started was Muscle & Fitness and Flex. Pretty much the same routine week after week in a different package.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.