Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gain Muscle and Lose Fat...Beating a Plateau! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4630)

schutzashley 11-08-2010 07:59 AM

Gain Muscle and Lose Fat...Beating a Plateau!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as diet? Here's a quick briefing. I have lost 41 pounds total in 2 years (in January of 2011 it will be). I am at 20% body fat, I did one figure competition in July and got down to 18%, and did no carbs for 3 weeks. 2 weeks later, I found out I was going to be working on a photo shoot and did no carbs again for 4 more weeks nad got back down to my lowest weight and bf%. So it's been about 2 months since the photo shoot and I am 10 pounds heavier, which I figured would happen, BUT, I am super sensitive to carbs. I really dont have any dairy in my diet except when I do a cheat meal or day sometimes.
I drink unsweetened almond milk

I eat super clean except on cheat day and I still can't get my belly to push past the plateau. I think I need ot count calories, but I'm trying to gain upper body mass and cna't limit my calories to do that. Someone suggested carb cycling. Or if on my lifting days, I did more carbs that day around my lifting and in morning and then on my JUSt cardio days (2 days of the week), then limit calories and carbs to lower and just do carbs in morning. I know the general bodybuilding competition preparation diet, is that what I need to do to get my body to a new set poitn? or should I do the carb cycling? I've never donet he carb cycling, it's always seemed very meticulous, but I'm sure that's what I need to do at this point since hwat I'm doing now is not working for me. I will say that my body seems to LOVE to be at this weight and I can eliminate cheat meals (but I haveto live too)...but at the same time I tell myself, well, if this is what I really want (to get ripped adn do fitness modeling) then eliminating cheat meals is what it takes, but then I hear people saying you dont want to eliminate cheat meal of the week because it resets your metabolism. there is so much out there, when someone helped me out with a diet before, it was perfect, I just followed it but that was for the no carbs due to lack of time to prepare for the last minute figure competition that was local. thank you for anyone's help. I'd really appreciate your advice. basically, I've been overweight before but hold my body fat in mostly ab region and lower back it seems too, whenI eat more than normal amount of carbs, I swell up quickly and can put on water weight like no other.....thanks everyone. My goal is to do fitness modeling and help others but I have to be the finished product I want to be. and my body has a rough time moving on from thsi current body stat. thanks

BigFiveFive 11-08-2010 09:21 AM

Sometimes your body will only respond to certain low amounts of carbs, almost like it rejects having too little, and too many make you gain weight. Having a naturally meso-endomorphic body type I also am very sensitive to carbs and have to find the right amount. What I have found with me is I get down to a certain low point in carbs, usually around 60-100g a day and I plateau in weight loss. How I have found to beat it is adding more types of cardio and bumping up cardio in general.

My suggestion is to hit different types of cardio, Lot-int Incline, Eliptical, Bike, HIIT and also try bumping it up 5 minutes or so each week and keep carbs moderate. See if the cardio will help with weight loss.

BigFiveFive 11-08-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schutzashley (Post 91898)
Does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as diet? Here's a quick briefing. I have lost 41 pounds total in 2 years (in January of 2011 it will be). I am at 20% body fat, I did one figure competition in July and got down to 18%, and did no carbs for 3 weeks. 2 weeks later, I found out I was going to be working on a photo shoot and did no carbs again for 4 more weeks nad got back down to my lowest weight and bf%. So it's been about 2 months since the photo shoot and I am 10 pounds heavier, which I figured would happen, BUT, I am super sensitive to carbs. I really dont have any dairy in my diet except when I do a cheat meal or day sometimes.
I drink unsweetened almond milk

I eat super clean except on cheat day and I still can't get my belly to push past the plateau. I think I need ot count calories, but I'm trying to gain upper body mass and cna't limit my calories to do that. Someone suggested carb cycling. Or if on my lifting days, I did more carbs that day around my lifting and in morning and then on my JUSt cardio days (2 days of the week), then limit calories and carbs to lower and just do carbs in morning. I know the general bodybuilding competition preparation diet, is that what I need to do to get my body to a new set poitn? or should I do the carb cycling? I've never donet he carb cycling, it's always seemed very meticulous, but I'm sure that's what I need to do at this point since hwat I'm doing now is not working for me. I will say that my body seems to LOVE to be at this weight and I can eliminate cheat meals (but I haveto live too)...but at the same time I tell myself, well, if this is what I really want (to get ripped adn do fitness modeling) then eliminating cheat meals is what it takes, but then I hear people saying you dont want to eliminate cheat meal of the week because it resets your metabolism. there is so much out there, when someone helped me out with a diet before, it was perfect, I just followed it but that was for the no carbs due to lack of time to prepare for the last minute figure competition that was local. thank you for anyone's help. I'd really appreciate your advice. basically, I've been overweight before but hold my body fat in mostly ab region and lower back it seems too, whenI eat more than normal amount of carbs, I swell up quickly and can put on water weight like no other.....thanks everyone. My goal is to do fitness modeling and help others but I have to be the finished product I want to be. and my body has a rough time moving on from thsi current body stat. thanks

I looked back over your post and noticed this again. This pretty well is a good indicator that if you're leaning out and becoming dry and still hold some fat around the lower back/sides/ and mid-section then its most likely a cardio issue. I know it suck hearing it, just means more time on the treadmill, but I had the same problem in my first show, diet was spot on, but I just was conditioned enough.

And remember fat cells are always gunna be there, when your body is in a depleted state it doesnt take much to shock it into survival mode, which will expand those fat cells, making them swell and hold water.

glwanabe 11-08-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFiveFive (Post 91907)
I looked back over your post and noticed this again. This pretty well is a good indicator that if you're leaning out and becoming dry and still hold some fat around the lower back/sides/ and mid-section then its most likely a cardio issue. I know it suck hearing it, just means more time on the treadmill, but I had the same problem in my first show, diet was spot on, but I just was conditioned enough.
And remember fat cells are always gunna be there, when your body is in a depleted state it doesnt take much to shock it into survival mode, which will expand those fat cells, making them swell and hold water.

cardio, cardio, cardio, then,..............................more cardio.

For carbs, eat only plant carbs, and count your cals.

In basic training, they ran us, and ran us, and ran us. They dropped us all day long for pushups, and flutter kicks, and everything else they could do. You simply have to shock your body to up your metabolism, and force it to burn stores. Do lots of BW work with your workouts. Get that body furnace burning.

BendtheBar 11-08-2010 10:07 AM

Right now you are in the off-season. This is a good time to start counting calories, and learning how your body reacts. Losing the belly fat while adding muscle is going to be tricky.

I think cycling carbs is a solid approach. While it may not lead to fat loss while adding muscle, it should help to minimize any fat gains.

A rough place to start is:

--Protein - 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.
--Carbs - 1.5 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight.
--Fat - 20 to 30% of your daily calories.

Right now simply eating healthy is most likely a detriment. Most women tend to undereat protein, and eat too many carbs. You need to move from the stage of "eating healthy" to "eating to maximize your body composition." This will involve a time of micromanaging your intake to learn your body.

My wife eats healthy, but always thinks she's eating more protein than she is. To her, high protein is about 50 to 70 grams per day. She then ends up eating about 50 to 100 more grams of carbs per day to fill the hunger gap.

I can't say that you're undereating protein. I'm only talking out loud. But it may be the case. And this might make it seem like your carb sensitive when you're really just eating too many - if that makes sense?

bamazav 11-08-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 91911)
Right now you are in the off-season. This is a good time to start counting calories, and learning how your body reacts. Losing the belly fat while adding muscle is going to be tricky.

I think cycling carbs is a solid approach. While it may not lead to fat loss while adding muscle, it should help to minimize any fat gains.

A rough place to start is:

--Protein - 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.
--Carbs - 1.5 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight.
--Fat - 20 to 30% of your daily calories.

Right now simply eating healthy is most likely a detriment. Most women tend to undereat protein, and eat too many carbs. You need to move from the stage of "eating healthy" to "eating to maximize your body composition." This will involve a time of micromanaging your intake to learn your body.

My wife eats healthy, but always thinks she's eating more protein than she is. To her, high protein is about 50 to 70 grams per day. She then ends up eating about 50 to 100 more grams of carbs per day to fill the hunger gap.

I can't say that you're undereating protein. I'm only talking out loud. But it may be the case. And this might make it seem like your carb sensitive when you're really just eating too many - if that makes sense?

I would add that many also under or over estimate how much their total cals are. Eating too low can send the message that you are starving and cause a plateau just as eating too much can cause a plateau. It would be helpful for you to log what you eat for a week or two to see where you really are.

schutzashley 11-08-2010 06:41 PM

Thank you all for your awesome advice, I had thought staying away from cardio would not harm me! I guess it didnt' harm me, but didn't get my anywhere either, so today, did back and tris really heavy, then did 30 minutes of intervals on eliptical then some kettlebell swings til I couldn't do more.

Waht is your guy's take on when you're trying ot lose fat (by doing cardio, cardio, cardio) and if I"m carb cycling and also trying to gain mass in upper body and lift heavy, when should I do cardio? I lift 5 days of the week and the other 2, since I have goals, can do cardio (need a day off?---unless my body tells me!) but when I lift, maybe just do hiit afterwards? then have a protein shake and no sugar/carbs right after since I did cardio after lifting? usually i"ll have some gummy bears and then a protein shake immediateyl after lifting session, but if I'm trying to do cardio to to tap into my fat stores, just protein shake? then avoid carbs for dinner one hour later? so much to think about! so many options to do....thanks guys

BendtheBar 11-08-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schutzashley (Post 91984)
Thank you all for your awesome advice, I had thought staying away from cardio would not harm me! I guess it didnt' harm me, but didn't get my anywhere either, so today, did back and tris really heavy, then did 30 minutes of intervals on eliptical then some kettlebell swings til I couldn't do more.

Waht is your guy's take on when you're trying ot lose fat (by doing cardio, cardio, cardio) and if I"m carb cycling and also trying to gain mass in upper body and lift heavy, when should I do cardio? I lift 5 days of the week and the other 2, since I have goals, can do cardio (need a day off?---unless my body tells me!) but when I lift, maybe just do hiit afterwards? then have a protein shake and no sugar/carbs right after since I did cardio after lifting? usually i"ll have some gummy bears and then a protein shake immediateyl after lifting session, but if I'm trying to do cardio to to tap into my fat stores, just protein shake? then avoid carbs for dinner one hour later? so much to think about! so many options to do....thanks guys

You can really do cardio whenever convenient. It's a pretty heated debate as to what form is best, and when it's best to do it. But with that said, from an insider's perspective I see people successful on many plans.

I would do HIIT post-workout if you can, and get the work done for the day.

I would recommend either taking Scivation Xtend during and after lifting and before cardio, or have a whey shake after lifting and before cardio. (If you can handle something in your stomach for cardio). If you just take Xtend, have something like a whey shake and a banana after cardio.

About one hour later you want half of your daily carbs.

jslep 11-09-2010 07:14 AM

in prep for my show i liked to eat a small meal usually carb loaded half hour before working out so that by the time i was done my stomach would be empty for the most part and then i would hit 30-45 mins of cardio. for me it didn't work to do cardio first cause i felt like my workouts would suffer after. but if i worked out first then did cardio the cardio wouldn't suffer a bit.

glwanabe 11-09-2010 07:32 AM

I should clarify what I said yesterday about plant based carbs. It's not about what carbs to eat, so much as it is about what carbs not to eat.

NO
wheat
potatos
rice
beans
grains

Carbs should be veggies only.
NO processed sugars.
Check out the Paleo diet. I feel very good when I do this diet. The downside is that it is expensive to eat strictly Paleo style.

Lean meat
veggies
some fruit

The Paleo Diet | Lose Weight and Get Healthy Eating the Food You Were Designed to Eat