Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default Chest/Triceps or Shoulders/Triceps

Been discouraged lately by my low pressing numbers so I have been looking for ways to get these up, and a big part of that includes changing my triceps training; which includes when I train them and how often.

My Current Split
chest/triceps/core
legs
cardio/core
back/ biceps
shoulder/cardio
cardio/core
off

Any help would be appreciated.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Triceps are in big play during the bench press that is why i work them together, and i work shoulders alone as you have it setup but, it could also be shoulders/tri's since on bench u burn them out some while benching they would be fresher on a shoulder day
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Here's what made me think about it:

Delts, and Triceps.

My two favorite tricep moves are CGBP, and DIPS.

Close grip does not have to mean that your hands are 6" apart. It is more important to push with your triceps and isolate your pecs out of the movement. Just narrrower than bodywidth is plenty close, and allows for a comfortable hand position, as well as bar control.

Dips are another favorite, and I like to really work these hard from various angles. You can even move dips in as your primary chest movement coupled with CGBP. By varying your body position you can change how much impact your chest gets with the move.

There is another movement you can do as well, and this will also work your delts as part of your pressing routine. I learned about this from reading some of Bill Pearls stuff.

When performing behind the neck presses do partials bringing the bar no lower than the top of your ear. These partials will really involve your Tri's.

There are other Tricep moves, such as french pressing, and I do like that move, but for economy you can't beat CGBP, and Dips. IMO. YMMV.

Pressing.

Behind the neck pressing. This will also hit your traps far down towards the middle and lower areas. Continue with rear laterals for 3 sets of 5-8 with med wt. You could then finish up with some med to wide grip chins. The hanging off the bar will help to stretch you out after the pressing contractions.

================================================== ========

I do not find tricep kickbacks to be worth the time or effort to put into them.

Tricep cable extensions, maybe a couple of light sets for warmup, but I'd rather do CGBP warmups, then move into serious workweight.

^^glwanabe

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 11-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i like to work them on the same day as a secondary.

and also you might want to switch your back/bicep day with the shoulder day so you have a longer rest period on the shoulders before it comes to chest day. i found that if i worked shoulders late in the week like a friday or saturday my chest day on monday would suffer. so i like to hit a shoulder workout on wed or thurs.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
i like to work them on the same day as a secondary.
On the same day as what?

I never thought about that. Good idea. Tomorrow starts the rotation over again so if I'm going to switch it up, today is the day to do it.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

this is a good thinkin post but if on the same day of your bench you hit dips,cgbp, and then burn some sets of cable tri extension it will give your tri's some endurance and strength, dips can be a primary chest movement gl is definetly right they are great
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
jslep
Max Brawn

jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
On the same day as what?
sorry................chest/tri's not shoulders/tri's

i really like dips and close grip like you do and usually hit them on chest day after benching.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
andys_trim
Max Brawn

If I stick to chest/triceps what do you think about this;

bench
dips
cgbp
incline
skull crushers
chest isolation movement

That may work?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
sorry................chest/tri's not shoulders/tri's

i really like dips and close grip like you do and usually hit them on chest day after benching.
I really don't like CGBP only because I do them at the end of the workout and can't seem to get my chest out of the movement.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
jslep
Max Brawn

for me personally i would do it....

bench
incline
chest iso
cgbp
dips/skulls interchangeable

burn out the chest first to make sure the tri's do all the work on cgbp and dips