Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default Time to Cut - Diet Needs Help!!!

Breakfast FAT CARBS PROTEIN
2 servings of oatmeal 6 54 10
4 eggs 20 0 30
Whey protein 0 1 25
Multi Vitamin
Fish Oil 1 0 0

Total 26 55 65

Lunch FAT CARBS PROTEIN
2 chicken breast 6 0 54
Brown rice 4 41 5
Clif Bar 8 30 20

Total 18 71 79

Post Workout FAT CARBS PROTEIN
Whey Protein 0 1 25
Banana 1 51 2

Total 1 22 27

Snack FAT CARBS PROTEIN
2 Tuna 2 2 20

Total 2 2 20

Dinner FAT CARBS PROTEIN
2 chicken breast 6 0 54
Salad 0 0 0
Broccoli 0 2 1

Total 6 2 55

Bedtime FAT CARBS PROTEIN
Caesin 1 3 24

Total 1 3 24

Overall Total FAT CARBS PROTEIN
54 153 270

GOAL:

780 protein cal ACTUAL: 1,080 cal

390 carb cal ACTUAL: 612 cal

351 fat cal ACTUAL: 216 cal

Ok, I need major help. I need less protein and carbs and more healthy fats. Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. I am basing my calorie needs from PROTEIN + CARBS = 2/3 of cals FAT = other 1/3 of calories. Thanks.

Sorry if this is hard to read

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Ok let's start with basics, and first thing first, you dont need to count everything like you're doing. Example, tuna is a PROTEIN source, there is no need to count the fats that go along with it, same with your whey shakes, thats a protein source, dont count the fat/carbs in it. Another example, almonds are a source of good fats, no need to count the protein/carbs that comes along with them, same for brown rice its a carbohydrate source, dont count the fat/protein. This will make your marco breakdowns easier and more efficient and will also allow you to get the proper nutrition that you need.

Basic cut breakdown is something like 35%fat/25%carbs/40%protein, or 30/30/40, or 45/15/40 for ketosis. This is all % calorie breakdowns, remember 4calories in 1g of protein/carbs and 9calories in 1g of fat.

You need to consume 25% of total carbs in a split between pre/post workout and another 25% at breakfast, this accounting in all -50% total carbs/3 meals/breakfast/pre-post workout. that mean the other 50% need to be split evenly between the other 3 meals. Make sure the ONLY time you're consuming simple carbs is breakfast and post-workout! Also you need to work on your eating split, dieting is about timing brother, you eat breakfast then starve until lunch, then workout after. You need at least 3 if not 4 solid meals all containing carbs before you hit the gym and workout. Post me the EXACT times of your meals, this is a MUST.

I cant tell you have a general idea of how to diet and this is EXACTLY what my diet-style plan looked like when I first tried/started trying to cut/diet, ive learned alot since then and I can really teach you how to cycle carbs and load/deplete gylcogen but you dont need all that fancy stuff bro, you have a good start/base right here. Just gotta be consistent.

Give me some meal times and ill level out your protein/carbs/fats. Until then eat some almonds or natty PB for good fats, you do need some, and please... stop counting those 2g of fat in tuna and your protein shakes :P
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Best of luck with the cut Andy.

1900 calories seems pretty minimal. Do you know how much you were eating per day while bulking? I can't remember if you counted or not.

Also, what are your goals on the cut? Are you going for a bodybuilder-style competition physique, or just to knock off 10-15 pounds of fat?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Breakfast is at 7:30
I'll put in some sort of snack maybe almonds and tuna around 10:30?
Lunch is at 12:30
I workout around 2 or 2:30
Directly after my workout I eat my post workout meal
I'll have a snack around 4 before I go to class
Dinner when I come home around 7:30
and then my caesin protein is at about 10

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Best of luck with the cut Andy.

1900 calories seems pretty minimal. Do you know how much you were eating per day while bulking? I can't remember if you counted or not.

Also, what are your goals on the cut? Are you going for a bodybuilder-style competition physique, or just to knock off 10-15 pounds of fat?
I tried counting for a while, but it was too much effort especially because I wasn't eating at home a lot so I didn't have anything to base numbers on. I'm cutting to drop fat and get defined. I wouldn't say I'm trying to get to 3% body fat or anything like that. I'm just trying to get under 10% and see how I look from there. Also, I just want to get in really good shape, because the more and more it seems like I'm joining the military, the more I realize that basic will kill me in my current shape. I got the calorie proportions from Frank Zane's High Def Handbook that I got in the mail yesterday. And I'm trying to work on a split for the gym right now.

I'm thinking:

Chest/Triceps/Core
Legs
Cardio/Core
Shoulders/Cardio
Back/Biceps
Cardio/Core
Rest

Also, I don't have to stick with the food that I put on my meal plan. That's just what is in my house right now. I can take suggestions and put them in a grocery list, I just need to know. Since today I'm going to the Texas State Fair, it might not be the best day to start. Tomorrow is the start of the long road, I just have to get my numbers and stuff together first. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by andys_trim; 10-09-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I got the calorie proportions from Frank Zane's High Def Handbook that I got in the mail yesterday.
Didn't know that.

Understand I'm not trying to tell you with 100% certainty that 1900 is too low, but I would recommend watching the scale very closely. If the weight is falling off too quickly be prepared to make adjustments.

What are your thoughts on the book?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
andys_trim
Max Brawn

It's not quite what I expected. It is more like a pamphlet. Tons of typos and when there are pictures the text isn't wrapped around them so you can't find the next part of the sentence you are reading. A lot of the stuff he talks about requires buying a lot of equipment or extra supplements that I don't have money for. He talks about what he did a lot which is expected, but he didn't a lot of science to back it up.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
It's not quite what I expected. It is more like a pamphlet. Tons of typos and when there are pictures the text isn't wrapped around them so you can't find the next part of the sentence you are reading. A lot of the stuff he talks about requires buying a lot of equipment or extra supplements that I don't have money for. He talks about what he did a lot which is expected, but he didn't a lot of science to back it up.
That's too bad, but I appreciate your feedback. I nearly purchased one myself.

Let's get you on track and cutting, Frank or no Frank...

I am no expert on cutting fat. I would trust guys like Big55 who have been there.

As far as food sources, for protein sources I like low fat string cheese, eggs, ground turkey and turkey "hamburger" patties. These are usually inexpensive. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese with fruit are also solid.

For carbs, if you do a lot of cooking yourself look into quinoa if you are sick of rice. You can cook one cup in 2 cups water, and it tastes great with salsa and chicken...simple things like that.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
andys_trim
Max Brawn

What are some good healthy fat sources besides almonds, and natty peanut butter?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
What are some good healthy fat sources besides almonds, and natty peanut butter?
Avacados, olives and olive oil, walnuts, salmon (canned is cheaper).

Black olives are a staple of mine when cutting. Not that high in calories, but many of the calories are from fats.