Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

I've never done negatives and would like to hear how I can use then to.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

I would start by using them on every set and repetition. Use a weight that is controlable. Focus on a controlled concentric action, and use a slow 5-count eccentric portion. This should decrease the number of sets and reps that you have to perform, but causing more damage(good thing).

If you have a partner, you can load up the machine or bar, have them help you with the concentric action, and make you do all of the eccentric work.

I would need a list of what lifts you do and what type of equipment you have to be of better assistance
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I really don't believe in over-thinking it. Move weight, eat healthy, do work, get rest. And you're good! Not too deep there is it I like lifting! If you don't enjoy doing it, you ain't gonna get anywhere!
I'm with Rick on this one, keep it simple.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default my recipe

Lift for power and strength, eat for size.
Squat, row, and bench is flawed. Squat, row, and Standing press overhead.
Deltoids take priority over pecs.
Dips, and heavy flyes with bent arms are enough chest work until......
Front squat as often as you back squat
Pick a barbell up off the floor, deadlift, and cleans are your friends
increase your flexability
If it runs, flys, swims, or is green, eat it.
Wheat, and sugar are not your friends.
Drink water always
sleep
be a man
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Some interesting points. Want to explore your take a bit more if you don't mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Squat, row, and bench is flawed. Squat, row, and Standing press overhead. Deltoids take priority over pecs.
I love the overhead press. Can I ask if you still bench, and why you prefer the press?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

^^^ explain a bit more GL
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Some interesting points. Want to explore your take a bit more if you don't mind....
I love the overhead press. Can I ask if you still bench, and why you prefer the press?
I have not benched on a regular schedule for over two years.

I really got away from benching when I started doing a gymnastics strength program. A friend and myself have the same home gym setups, with rings, and paralette bars. We were working hard on doing planche's. Lots of ring dips, chins, core work, handstand pressing moves, etc. link:

Welcome to Gymnastic Bodies Website

Our overall upperbody strength was gaining, and this program was building muscle density that amazed us. Especially since we were only doing bodyweight moves. Planche's are called a disadvanted lever type move. They are very hard to do, and are a great compound move. While we were getting stronger, we also wanted to hit the weights again as well, for heavier leg work. (Leg mass is not what a serious gymnast wants however.)

We got curious, and did check our bench numbers one day. After having not benched in about 18 months at that point, I still pushed 240lbs with some room to spare. I had stepped up to that weight and had already benched several weights working to that number. I believe I could have pushed 250.

I really started to think about what is more important on a day to day basis. Deltoids are the primary muscle we should be developing, and chest as a support group to that end. Your chest is important, but not to the degree that BB routines emphasize. For what we do daily as humans, shoulders are #1, and chest is #2.

cont..
Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #18
glwanabe
Max Brawn

While I don't bench, I still work my chest, but utilize other compound moves that hit it somewhat less directly for the most part. I still do flyes however.

Standing presses hit the upper portion, dips, where I lean forward as much as I can hit the lower portion. Those two moves alone still have my chest getting worked enough to see growth. Flyes are done with both dumbells, and in the rings. Flyes done with the rings are brutal!!

I set my bench, and rings up so that with my feet on the bench I'm basically in a pushup position with my hands on the rings. My back is flat. In this position you can do various forms of pushups, alternating your hand position as you go down.

You can also do a flye from this position. Instead of layin on your back your supporting yourself instead. We have gotten to the point of being able to have nearly straight arms at the bottom position. Your chest gets worked, as well as your anterior, and posterier delts. There is a medial delt move as well, Iron Cross negatives.

All of this work demands that you have core strength beyond anything you have worked towards before. Need abs? Incorporate gymnastic strength moves into your workout.

Check out this guy, Yuri Van Gelder. Watch the 4th vid labled training.

yuri van gelder - Google Videos

This as well. Notice the muscualture of his chest and deltoids, his chest is strong and developed, but not BB sized proportion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_LN0..._embedded#t=92

Last edited by glwanabe; 09-12-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A very interesting approach glwanabe. Glad you're here at MAB. I am taking the kids to get a new dog, and will read this is detail after I return

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

i bet those ring flys kick ass.... the Army is starting to implement some suspension training... with this system called TRX, i imagine it works similar to the rings in a fashion... here is a link...

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/trx-t...itary-fitness/