Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Frank Zane Interview (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4356)

BendtheBar 09-28-2010 10:25 AM

Frank Zane Interview

Frank Zane Interview:

Interview With Mr. Olympia Frank Zane | Muscle & Strength

Quote:

I tried bulking up a few times and it was always a disaster. It was just a loss of about a year because you get back to what you looked like originally. What happened when I did that...Actually I did that for training for the 1972 professional Mr. Universe in London. I got up to about almost 210, huge thighs. I got pretty smooth. About 5 weeks before the contest I realized I had a lot of work to do, so I dropped about 10 pounds, came in around the mid 190s and won the show. But I noticed that I was not as defined as I was the year before because I bulked up. The year before I didn’t, so I learned from that.

RickB 09-28-2010 10:47 AM

Awesome interview. And I love the guys take on things! Maybe because I agree with him ;)

Good stuff Steve!

dmaipa 09-28-2010 11:38 AM

Solid interview Steve!

BendtheBar 09-28-2010 01:33 PM

Thanks guys.

The subject of the pump was brought up in Dmaipa's thread. I didn't want to turn D's log into a debate on the topic, so I want to open this thread up to discussions on the pump.

Do you feel it's useful, useful? Why or why not?

RickB 09-28-2010 01:53 PM

Why do I? Because it works for me. I am not a powerful lifter nor will I be unless I join the darkside. But I have a respectable look for a guy who has only ran 3 PH cycles in almost 4 yrs of lifting. One cycle per year for the first 3.

I can't claim to be natural as per NGA rules, you must be off of ban substances for 7 yrs to be able to compete as a natural. It irks me to see people that I personally know to be natural when they haven't met that criteria. But this is another subject.

But the reason I bring up the other subject is the amount of weight that I work with would be thought to be pansy weight by some. Your limit is your limit unless you are getting chemical assistance. I'm not saying what I do can't be tweaked, but I just know I can't squeeze much more out. Keep in mind I wasn't a lifter until age 38, so I never was able to take advantage of hyperplasia like my son is now. Thank goodness I learned about lifting in time for him to blossom ;)

How's that for long winded tangents? :D

dmaipa 09-28-2010 01:54 PM

I think with high volume and hard contraction of the muscles the pump is going to come. I don't think it's specifically okay to just go in the Gym and pump up the muscle. You can use light weight to get a pump but you not gonna get much size. Simply you have to put a heavy enough load on the muscle in order to get some size. Personally, I think we all feel a pump in or muscle even if we aren't "training for the pump". But if that feeling of the pump os a good guide for you then so be it. As ling as there is progression going on keep doing it. Honestly, since it was mentioned on my thread people need to worry about what they do. You do what you do, and I'll do what I do because it works for me.

BendtheBar 09-28-2010 02:10 PM

I am a firm believer in progression, under any system. I believe that you can train like a powerlifter, or train for the pump, using feel and lighter weight, as long as you are progressing someway, somehow - and you will gain.

Most bodybuilders I see that focus on the pump are still relatively strong. They didn't start benching 95 and stay there. I would also add that many of them, including Frank Zane and guys like Vic Costa, lifted heavy early in their careers. Frank Zane mentions in his interview that he used a program of 3 on, 1 off, and each of these days were based upon either the squat, deadlift or bench.

I often see guys turn to pump-based training after most of their gains have come, and then preach it to the masses. Even Arnold himself made a fair amount of his gains doing Reg Park's routine, long before he started "pumping".

So long story short...however you train, sooner or later you have to progress someway, somehow. This doesn't mean you need to lift like a powerlifter - by no means. But you will be much stronger then average Joe Schmoe off the street.

I am speaking for naturals only...

RickB 09-28-2010 02:45 PM

^^ But on the deadlifts, they were from the knees up OR heavy rows. And incline bench was his primary bench routine...which as we all know most can't incline what you can flat bench.

I will agree though Steve that progression IS the key. No doubt about that one. ;) But there is a point you can't go beyond if you are lifting "natural". Diet might afford me/some a few more pounds on lifts, but like Mr. Zane states, bulking can be a bad idea.

I was WAY stronger @ 212 than I am now at mid 170's. But like I said unless I join the darkside, I will just be a moderately strong old man BB'er for now ;)

andys_trim 09-28-2010 03:46 PM

Awesome read, I'm getting the High-Def Handbook

andys_trim 09-28-2010 03:47 PM

I'll contribute to the conversation too. I don't train for a pump, I train to get stronger and hopefully add muscle in the process. If you just train for a pump and don't progress and get better each time I think you are pretty much wasting your time.