Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Teen Eating

I just saw an experienced trainer advise a thin teen to eat 2200 to 2500 calories per day while training to grow. It appears he based his calculation off a BMI calculator.

Am I the only teen who ate about 2000 calories per meal and still didn't grow?

Man, I can remember eating from sun up to sun down and never getting above 160 pounds.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-17-2010 at 12:49 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Achilles
Brawn
Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Achilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good posts

Same here!

Along with that the BMI calculator is far from accurate. Its a tool for peopel in general but for guys like us who sport and carry around at least some muscle mass its not a good tool to use.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

What escapes me is how some trainers can advise things like this and have a successful business...

I can see on one hand where they wouldn't want to tell a teen to overeat, but as a former hardgainer, I can't imagine how thin I would have become eating 2200 calories per day.

I would think that an average calories recommendation would be around 3000. At least.

I am 5'10", and in most of my teen years I stayed between 140 and 150 pounds. I ate like a buzzsaw. It wasn't until I started lifting seriously that I got above 170. I had access to a buffet style college cafeteria and ate cheese cake to no end. I probably had 4 to 6 pieces a day, along with 3 monster meals, many times a box of mac and cheese (with tuna) in between major meals because It was cheap and worked (in my mind) as a bodybuilding meal. I also drank milk, milk and more milk.

I would be surprised if I wasn't eating 5000+ calories a day.

I didn't get above 185 until I hit 30 years old, and my eating habits were obscene.

Maybe my perception of proper eating is warped from years with this metabolism. the kid receiving the advise from this trainer weighs under 120 pounds....

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-17-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Achilles
Brawn
Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Achilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good posts

I wonder about that too. I work part time in a gym and to be honest some of the PT's and trainers there are just so damn stupid it unbelievable. Imo if you work in a gym a simple understanding of the exercises and nutrition is all you need to do a semi descent job but for some this is already too much. But hey its biceps that counts not the brain because the guy with the biggest biceps in the gym can tell whatever he want and peopel believe him.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

I wouldnt have used the term "experienced" BTB lol youre giving him too much credit already! The words "trainer" and "comercial gym" in the same sentance pretty much sums it up for me! I know that was your point of all of this and I gotta ask, how did you not interject? Would have been hard for me to bite my tounge in that instance!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

This guy is an "experienced bodybuilding trainer" on another site. I stay out of his business. I don't agree with him, but I don't want to start a holy war.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Are the other site's initials bb.com?
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

good one trevor haha, and thats crazy i eat like 7000 calories a day, if i ate 2400 i would probably lose weight
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Even when I'm not trying to drink a lot of milk I kill at least a half gallon a day of whole milk. SO that's about 1200cals in milk alone. I couldn't see anyone gaining much off 2.2k cals per day. My Advice to any teen is too eat whenever and whatever possible.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

I guess it depends on the teen! Everyone is different.

After my show I could eat loads without gaining weight...now it looks like my metabolism has stopped hyperventilating, and I'm maintaining on much lower calories than I was previously, haha.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote