Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Caffeine and Cortisol

Anyone know much about caffeine and cortisol? I know caffeine impacts cortisol to some degree, but I have a kid that is worried that if he takes a pre-workout with caffeine that he won't make any gains.

I reassured him that hard work and diet will always pay off, but beyond that I don't know what to say other than the impact is overblown....

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

I haven't ever heard of that. But me being a coffee fiend, I've made decent gains despite that. I'll have to read up on this.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I was watching a documentary of the overweight epidemic this weekend and it discussed the impact that stress had on fat gain. It made the statement that when your brain is stressed, it responds on a primal level - like that of a hunter-gatherer who is without food. the documentary went on to state that because of this, our metabolism slows and our body heightens fat storage.

So I could see caffeine adding to natural stress levels and theoretically leading to more fat gain, and I could see the body becoming less likely to want to pack on muscle during these times.

...just thinking out loud....

Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Cortisol talk also makes me wonder if training 6 days a week, or high volume, could lead to increased cortisol levels, and a greater tendency to store fat and build less muscle.

I'm sure this is an old discussion to some of you guys, but cortisol is new to me.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

Coffee stimulates catecholamines (adrenegenic). Exhaustion of the adrenal cortex, which is also responsible for gonadal steroids, could lead to decreased testosterone and negatively impact your gains. The amount of coffee needed for this, however, is substantially more than most people drink.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Ive heard this, i dont have any studies to refer to but i find it likely.
"Pushing heavy weight for long workouts, without proper recovery (i.e off days) will overtime raise cortisol levels and lead to fat gain."

If you look at it this i quite easy to get, stress == cortisol levels rise, overtraining == body stressed. In other words this is basic overtraining 1 on 1, progressed halted, appetite loss, increased blood pressure, letargic etc.

These are all symptoms of stress ...and overtraining.

Just spun a bit on the subject got me thinking