Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Serious Dilemma (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4231)

BigPhilly 09-11-2010 09:48 PM

Serious Dilemma

I'm want to get serious with my training but i'm faced with a problem 6'1 @238lbs and approimately 18-20% bf. I would like to put on more muscle mass (10-15lbs of muscle) but the problem is i don't know if i should lose weight first or or add mass over the winter? Would like some feedback/advice from some experienced lifters. :mh:

gaspers04 09-11-2010 09:58 PM

Clean your diet, correct amounts of protein, get on a good beginner program (weight lifting), introduce some cardio and enjoy the ride!

big_swede 09-12-2010 03:58 AM

Lots of protein, squats and deadlifts

ElementalVirago 09-12-2010 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 81189)
Clean your diet, correct amounts of protein, get on a good beginner program (weight lifting), introduce some cardio and enjoy the ride!

^^This.

BendtheBar 09-12-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhilly (Post 81188)
I'm want to get serious with my training but i'm faced with a problem 6'1 @238lbs and approimately 18-20% bf. I would like to put on more muscle mass (10-15lbs of muscle) but the problem is i don't know if i should lose weight first or or add mass over the winter? Would like some feedback/advice from some experienced lifters. :mh:

You aren't at a very high body fat right now, so a 2-3 month cut before trying to put on mass wouldn't be out of the question. This would also give you some time to nail down a proper eating approach.

A few questions first...

Have you ever eaten using a bodybuilding style diet before?

Have you ever trained previously and added on noticeable muscle and strength?

The reason I ask these questions is that if you cut without knowing how to train or eat properly, it could result in a higher percentage of muscle loss.

With a solid eating and training approach, I would go for the cut first, and then by Christmas you can be on track to use 2011 to hit your goals...

gaspers04 09-12-2010 08:58 AM

You da man Steve!

BigPhilly 09-13-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 81189)

Most definately man your right i really need to clean my eating habits and get a proper training programs going

BigPhilly 09-13-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 81222)
Lots of protein, squats and deadlifts

I want to do the 5x5 program to get my strength and size up. Thanks for the advice squats and deads are king lifts.

TitanCT 09-13-2010 10:50 AM

honestly, if you're new to the gym. Bulk, eat clean and bulk. chances are if you clean up your diet and starting doing correct water intake, you'll burn off some fat while you do jsut because your a "newb".

BigPhilly 09-13-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 81229)
You aren't at a very high body fat right now, so a 2-3 month cut before trying to put on mass wouldn't be out of the question. This would also give you some time to nail down a proper eating approach.

A few questions first...

Have you ever eaten using a bodybuilding style diet before?

Have you ever trained previously and added on noticeable muscle and strength?

The reason I ask these questions is that if you cut without knowing how to train or eat properly, it could result in a higher percentage of muscle loss.

With a solid eating and training approach, I would go for the cut first, and then by Christmas you can be on track to use 2011 to hit your goals...

Thanks for the advice- I've never use a bodybuilding diet before while training. I've trained previously in college my first 1.5 year of serious lifting i put on 25-30 lbs of mass. Ever since i had my son i've been in and out of the gym but now i truely want to get serious to be a example my children can live by.

What type of diet should is use to drop body fat?