Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Sten
New Brawn
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Sten is off to a bad start
Default Routine evaluation & questions

What do you guys think of that routine ? What about the set x rep scheme ?

M
Bench 5x5
Overhead presses 3x8
Dips 3x8

W
Squat 5x5
Back Extension 1x10
Crunch 3x8
Sidebend 3x8

F
Deads 5x5
Rows 3x8
Chins 3x8

1) Is it okay to drink water while eating ? I read that it can change stomach's acid level, which makes not only protein digestion ineffective, but also digestion of vitamin B12 is seriously affected. A lot of guys also called bs on that.

2) How should you diet on workout days differ from non-workout days especially regarding pre and pos workout meals ?
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post

M
Bench 5x5
Overhead presses 3x8
Dips 3x8

W
Squat 5x5
Back Extension 1x10
Crunch 3x8
Sidebend 3x8

F
Deads 5x5
Rows 3x8
Chins 3x8

1) Is it okay to drink water while eating ? I read that it can change stomach's acid level, which makes not only protein digestion ineffective, but also digestion of vitamin B12 is seriously affected. A lot of guys also called bs on that.

2) How should you diet on workout days differ from non-workout days especially regarding pre and pos workout meals ?
i'd switch day 1 with day 2 to allow your lower back to recover better

i wouldnt worry about that water thing... the only reason to limit liquids is it takes away from apetite haha

what is your goal, to bulk up?
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

M
Bench 5x5
Overhead presses 3x8
Dips 3x8

W
Squat 5x5
Back Extension 1x10
Crunch 3x8
Sidebend 3x8

F
Deads 5x5
Rows 3x8
Chins 3x8

Hi Sten,

It looks very solid. If I had to tweak anything, I would move squat day to Monday to give your back and posterior chain more rest before deadlifts.

Regarding water intake, I am skeptical that drinking water while eating has any important impact. Maybe it does impact it to a minor degree, but with you training hard and eating right I doubt you have anything to worry about.

For workout days, post workout you want some whey protein and a form of dextrose (waxy maize, a Pop-tart or a sweet treat). 30-60 minutes after that you want your biggest meal of the day, and it should include a whole food protein source, veggies, and a healthy carb like brown rice, quinoa, etc.

Pre-workout varies for a lot of guys. I have a protein shake and a small piece of fruit an hour before lifting. I don't like training with much in my stomach. Your mileage may vary.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Sten
New Brawn

thanks for the asnwers guys...

@kman: yea, to bulk. Regarding water taking away your apetite, I read that it actually does the exact opposite. I cant remember the explanation, but I am gonna look it up for you.

@BendtheBar: You missunderstood me on question 2, BendtheBar. I wanted to know what you take instead of the pre/pos workout meals on non-workout days.
I also read that you should eat more on non-workout days; is there any logic behind that ?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

looks solid to me man, btb have u got a chance to post back to my routine thread
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
I also read that you should eat more on non-workout days; is there any logic behind that ?
about the water intake..yea maybe water will fill you up while eating, but that should be the last of your concerns when eating. what are your stats (height, weight, age..)

just wondering where you are getting all this information. What is the reason of eating more on non-workout days. you should be eating like a monster on workout days compared to your non-workout days especially if you are trying to bulk. But i am curious to where you are getting your info from?

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
@kman: yea, to bulk. Regarding water taking away your apetite, I read that it actually does the exact opposite. I cant remember the explanation, but I am gonna look it up for you.
drink a lot at a meal and tell me if you have room for as much food as you would without it.

at time when i'm shoveling down a pound of beef it really becomes apparent.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Sten
New Brawn

It is an old post on another forum, some guy said: "As for the fullness [caused by water intake while eating] - contrary to what many may think, drinking while eating usually allows you to eat more. Reason is your are flushing down the food quickly and mixing it in the stomach. That means fewer enzymes are being released, so your thinking that you are full gets delayed."
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

i really think everyone is worrying a bit much about drinking water during your meals..of course you not gonna sit down and tank down water while you eat, your main focus is on the food, but its not gonna hurt to have a glass of water.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
i really think everyone is worrying a bit much about drinking water during your meals..of course you not gonna sit down and tank down water while you eat, your main focus is on the food, but its not gonna hurt to have a glass of water.
i agree. also, Sten it seems your worrying too much about the little things. you just need to eat big and lift big