Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Training 6 days a week? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4024)

TitanWIP 08-17-2010 10:24 AM

Training 6 days a week?

I overheard a conversation at the gym this morning. A trainer was advising someone to lift weights 6 days a week and to do 60 minutes of cardio per day along with a cutting diet. There was no mention of progression or intensity.

Why woudl this be advised for someone trying to get ripped. Wouldn't it be overkill?

Francisco 09-01-2010 10:24 AM

you only need to work your way up over several weeks/months and you will be fine. If you just go cold turkey and go from your normal workouts to 6/day week + cardio you may end up losing more than just fat specially on a restricted cal diet.

Kpettitt 09-04-2010 09:35 PM

wow... I guess I would ask what kind of physical condition the person he was advising that to was in. And what kind of weight training routine? Was the trainer wanting them to lift heavy> really pushing themselves? or starting off light... I would think if they were advising light weight lifting, or 'newbie' workouts- then 6 days a week wouldn't be bad. But pushing yourself every day AND doing that much cardio AND cutting... would be very unhealthy to just jump into.

MMA Max 09-04-2010 09:46 PM

I work out 6 days a week and sometimes twice a day

1 Weight session and 1 mma or cardio

dmaipa 09-05-2010 01:33 AM

IMO if a person is lifting and doing cardio for an hour each, that is crazy! especially if there is a high intensity going on with the lifting or cardio. As a personal trainer i would never tell my client to train 6 days a week of cardio and weight training. But it can be done if planned correctly.

Achilles 09-05-2010 04:28 AM

It all depends on someone's periodisation, intensity, volume, recovery, diet etc etc. But in the situation you discribe is far from ideal and for many peopel way too much.

highkick09 09-05-2010 04:39 AM

I do 6 days a week training ;) Though i did work my way up to it, i think its stupid someone to throw you straight into the deep end . You will do to much to quick burn out and might give up.

I do weights & cardio every session. If i feel pain in legs and sore joints i back of to a slower rate!

perseverance and consistency is key!

sneezingstardust 09-05-2010 07:27 AM

That's a bit crazy.

I train 5-6 days per week, but I don't go all-out in intensity every day, and certainly not weight training every day.

BendtheBar 09-05-2010 07:47 AM

I did a 3 on, 1 off, ala Arnold at the age of 19-20. My volume was near 20-25 sets per day. I picked up quite a number of strains, and definitely started to feel overtrained. I also torched my lower back.

A few things I learned from this:

--If I train more often, I have to drop the volume.
--Some bodyparts handle heavy volume twice a week better than others. My shoulders and lower back struggled from the work, but my upper back and calves seemed to thrive.
--I felt much better training with a lower volume.

Your mileage may vary. I know some guys can handle high volume 5-6 days per week. I can't. I can train 5 days per week if I limit sets to 10-12.

Jude 09-05-2010 09:09 AM

It all depends...

It all depends on your lifestyle. When the movie, "The Wrestler", was in the theaters everyone wanted to know how a 53 year old guy got into that kind of shape. He trained everyday, weights and cardio, except the Sabbath. His trainer was an Israeli and they camped in a Hotel in Florida for 6 months. Nobody was worrying about jobs, school, kids, relationships, etc. The primary reason for living, at that time, was exercise, eating, and sleeping. Nothing else.
If you are independently wealthy, have no responsibilities or commitments other than getting to the gym, eating and sleeping a routine like that will work without drugs.
For someone like me life gets in the way...