Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine
Default How long do you stick to programs?

We see a lot of training logs in here and I'm curious to how often do people switch up programs. I used to change mine up quite often because I got tired of it but I am finding out that consistency and progression is the best. I would switch it up every month but then finally realized that for me it just wasn't enough time to give a program. There are a lot of opinions out there to switch things often to keep you muscles "guessing" or to "shock" them or whatever. So i guess what I'm wondering is how long does everyone in here stick to their programs?

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I was never one to change much until the last few years. I guess I change 3-4 times a year, primarily to experiment. Though this year it's been more free-style training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Over the past few months I've been tweaking my own program for a while and recently abandoned split training altogether; currently running Chaos and Pain.

I think consistency is important, so I'm going to stay on Chaos and Pain. Also, the program is highly adjustable, so if you feel the need for change it's not a big deal. Which is another reason I'm a big fan of it: no need for periodization because it's a constant adaption phase.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Pick something, believe in it, and stick with it for at least 6 months. I can't tell you how many people I see that switch programs constantly and make no progress. The key is consistency. If you are bored in the gym, take up chess. It's fine to tweak things here and there but to do 5/3/1 one week, DC the next, Madcow next month, etc. ad infinitum is a road to nowhere for most people.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I'm afraid I have to agree with ehubbard. Pick something and milk everything you can out of it. Lately I've been on the 5/3/1 and find that there is enough flexibility in the assistance portion of the program that I don't know if I'll ever get bored with it. I've always been that way no matter what template I was running. Change, for me, has never been to "spice up a stale routine," but rather as a better means to an end. You've got to give methods time (ex: give bilateral rowing at least three months). Exercises within the methodical construct maybe a little less time (not "feeling" pendlay rows? try t-bar rows instead.). Big picture: find something that looks like it will work, tweak it until it does, and run it until it dies.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Pick something, believe in it, and stick with it for at least 6 months. I can't tell you how many people I see that switch programs constantly and make no progress. The key is consistency. If you are bored in the gym, take up chess. It's fine to tweak things here and there but to do 5/3/1 one week, DC the next, Madcow next month, etc. ad infinitum is a road to nowhere for most people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I'm afraid I have to agree with ehubbard. Pick something and milk everything you can out of it. Lately I've been on the 5/3/1 and find that there is enough flexibility in the assistance portion of the program that I don't know if I'll ever get bored with it. I've always been that way no matter what template I was running. Change, for me, has never been to "spice up a stale routine," but rather as a better means to an end. You've got to give methods time (ex: give bilateral rowing at least three months). Exercises within the methodical construct maybe a little less time (not "feeling" pendlay rows? try t-bar rows instead.). Big picture: find something that looks like it will work, tweak it until it does, and run it until it dies.
Nuff Said!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I concur with the two Gents above. Ive made my best gains in the last year or so with the "program" that I'm on, minus the rehab time on the shoulder. Consistency=Progression!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

If you training for muscle alone you can swap routines as long as you use most of the same big lifts. The old school crew evolved their training several times a year.

You don't want to be swapping **** out every month though.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Volume View Post

You don't want to be swapping **** out every month though.
Muscle confusion drives this bus. Most young lifters still believe you need to swap every 4-8 weeks. You really never need to swap, until LP is ground into the dirt. I stuck with the same routine for 20 years.

I don't have much of an issue with a beginner or intermediate who is riding linear progression to mix up the approaches several times a year as long as they stick with the same core lifts. They don't need to do this, but it can often help them learn about how their bodies handle certain training techniques and systems.

This thread is in the bodybuilding forum, and in that context, I think reasonable change is fine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-08-2010 at 12:44 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

yea, im feeling you guys on this..i used to be that young lifter changing it up all the time..but now ive come to terms and become more focused

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote