Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Swole666
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Swole666 is off to a bad start
Default This is wrong

I just read the article 3 ways to train like a fool and I can't believe anyone buys this?

The author positions himself as an expert but he's telling you that the mind muscle connection isn't important, and that muscle confusion isn't important?
Also, low reps are horrible for adding muscle size. Bodybuilders don't use low reps.

This inane focus on heavy weight alone is going to get people injured.
Swole666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Can't wait to read some of the responses to this post. In
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

99.99% did not pack on their ****ing muscle mass using the mind muscle connection or muscle confusion. They went into the gym, progressed, and made gains. This article is right. When the gains stopped, they got confused and started to create all sorts of bull**** with the hopes of recapturing beginner gains.

Ain't happening. You can become a zen master all you ****ing want. Ain't happening.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swole666 View Post
I just read the article 3 ways to train like a fool and I can't believe anyone buys this?

The author positions himself as an expert but he's telling you that the mind muscle connection isn't important, and that muscle confusion isn't important?
Also, low reps are horrible for adding muscle size. Bodybuilders don't use low reps.

This inane focus on heavy weight alone is going to get people injured.
Welcome to the forum.

Do you believe it's more important when lifting to focus on form, or to focus on a muscle contraction? For me it's form all the way.

Now you could lighten the load and focus on contraction, but then you still have to use progression to make gains. And this brings you right back to heavy weight, which should only be utilized with a proper focus on form.

I am not against higher intensity techniques for advanced bodybuilders, but I do believe that the mind muscle connection is a product of training with machines. With a machine, it's easier to focus on a muscle because the "groove" is built in.

Do you train with machines or free weights?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Swole - can you explain where you are getting your information from? Is it from experience, or things you've heard, or where? I'm just curious. I think you'll see that most people here in this forum have made wonderful gains by using low reps (myself included), as well as most professional bodybuilders out there.

I truly believe that there is no such thing as "muscle confusion". That implies that there are tiny little intelligence centers in every muscle fiber that have to be "outwitted" in order to grow, as if we were in a chess game with them and only the most clever strategy would win the game. Muscle growth really only occurs when you break down the fibers and allow them to grow back, and repeat the process.

As far as the mind muscle connection, I don't see any harm in focusing on the muscle you're working (some athletes swear by it) but I think the point the author is trying to make here is that too many people think that that's going to be the main factor in their gains, that if they just WILL it to happen, it'll happen. If that were true, all we'd have to do is sit on our butts on the couch eating bon-bons and just fantasize about having a great body, and it would happen.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I'm tempted to believe you're trolling.

EDIT: WTF do you mean, confuse your muscle? That's where a lot of people go wrong. You can do things to spur your muscles in the right direction and help them grow, but you can't "confuse" your body, lol.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
I'm tempted to believe you're trolling.

I wondered this myself, actually. First and only post, and has not replied to any of our comments.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Swole666
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Swole666 is off to a bad start

I'm not trying to troll. I am just saying that most bodybuilders don't need low rep sets.
Swole666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
I'm not trying to troll. I am just saying that most bodybuilders don't need low rep sets.
Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, I guess, but you haven't provided any corroborating evidence to your claims. I happen to know the author of that article, and believe me, he's not small. I'd believe him (proven experience) over someone who has not offered any supporting evidence any day (and obviously someone who feels the need to post a pic of someone else as their avatar).

Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

So you're telling that professional bodybuilders use low weights high reps and get jacked? I don't think so.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote