Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swole666 View Post
I'm not trying to troll. I am just saying that most bodybuilders don't need low rep sets.
That's not the argument. The debate was over the myth that "low rep sets don't build muscle."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Swole666
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Swole666 is off to a bad start

If you performed all your sets under 5 reps you wouldn't gain muscle as fast as within the 6 to 12 range. Lower rep sets might build some muscle, but mostly strength.
Swole666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Well, I could go into the whole difference between sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and myofibrillar hypertrophy, but I'll just post a few pictures of guys who gained their muscle by training with heavy weights for low reps.

1) Mr. Chaos and Pain Jamie Lewis

2) Powerlifter and now Bodybuilder Matt Kroczaleski

3) Powerlifter and Bodybuilder Stan Efferding

4) Powerlifter and Bodybuilder Johnny Jackson

5) Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman, who began his iron career as a competitive powerlifter

5) Mr. Olympia and World Champion Powerlifter Franco Columbu

6) Strongman Mariusz Pudzianowski

7) Strongman and Powerlifter Bill Kazmaier

8) Strongman Derek Poundstone

9) World Champion Powerlifter Doug Young

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html

Last edited by cooltom; 07-26-2010 at 04:18 PM.
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

You had better tell Reg Park he was doing it wrong.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

10) Bodybuilding Champion Reg Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
You had better tell Reg Park he was doing it wrong.

Sorry I had to steal this to make my post and even 10...lol

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
The author positions himself as an expert but he's telling you that the mind muscle connection isn't important, and that muscle confusion isn't important?

Also, low reps are horrible for adding muscle size.

Bodybuilders don't use low reps. This inane focus on heavy weight alone is going to get people injured.
Mind muscleconnection is an overused, overrated term that people frankly don't really understand.

Your wrong about low reps, period! History is full of examples of people who have done what you say doesn't work.

Injuries. The worst injury I ever had was from roller skating, not weightlifting.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I see points to everyones statements and I think it really comes down to the the person..I work in a gym and I see and talk to some of the biggest cats and they are not lifting that heavy of weights on most excersises. Hell one guys I lift with there is more jacked then I and I dead lift waaaayyy more then he does, Hell I curl more then he does..But he is friggen yoked..He taught me a method, Said its not about how much ****en weight you can lift, Its about form and method..

He taught me if you can bench 250x3 times but you can rep 210-220 8-12 and hit 12 you are better off hitting the 210-220 for reps and maybe maxing the 250 for 1 set..I have been trying this, Letting the weight down slow and bringing it up nice and slow with good form and I feel the muscle working more and growing more..

Now is he right? Yes and no but what gets him jacked may or may not get you jacked..It about knowing your body and knowing what works for you,I gave up on a set system, Now I just feel it out and how my body feels and work according to how my body feels, If my body feels like it demands more work then I will give it more work, if it feels like today is not the day to bench 260 and it wants reps, I give it reps..

Now I would also like to mention something,I watch some of these big dudes lifting and I notice that they will hit a big lift however and then the supporting lifts are lighter..Like a good strong press and then reps. Who the **** knows any more,Just listen to your body, eat, lift and shut the **** up lol!

And for note,most of these pics of pro bodybuilders are on **** that helps then get past the normal limits, So whats heavy for you, is not for them, Your heavy **** is rep **** for them

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

The dude is yoked and benches 250x3?
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

No I bench anywhere from 250-280 all depends on the day and how I feel..If Im tired, Burned out, up all night with my girl, If I teach fight training...Just matters how I feel but some people may or may not have strong chest or something thats light for you may be someone elses heavy..I train Sayoc with some little filipino guys who are about 5'4 to 5'5 and bench 250 and they are yoked for their size...But they can do **** I can do like doing push ups on the tips of sticks balanced and doing other crazy **** like the horse..That taked MAD str and power, Plus the countless hand stand push ups..

Size, Strenght and power are different for everyone..What makes you think your strong, someone else is looking at what your lifting and saying " Damn, that guy is lifting weak ****"

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

Last edited by MMA Max; 07-26-2010 at 05:10 PM.
MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
I'm not trying to troll. I am just saying that most bodybuilders don't need low rep sets.
Most "average" bodybuilders don't have real muscle...it's mostly water (usually from carb and/or sodium loading)...

The "pro" bodybuilders that have lots of real muscle are juicin' and, two years after they stop, they look like "regular" dudes.

Yes, low weight high reps works, but I'd rather have hard earned muscle that's also harder to lose because it was gained over a lifetime and not a cycle...