Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Sten
New Brawn
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Sten is off to a bad start
Default Weightfree routine ?

Hey all, whats been up ?

I've been following that John Cristy's routine for 2months now, but I will have to take some time off, since i am flying to Argentina in 2 weeks and I will be backpacking around south america for 1 month.

I was wondering if there is any weight-free routine that I could do to keep the losses at a minimum ?

Random question: Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that to call a bench press valid, the bar has to touch the chest. But at what elbow-forearm angle that bar will touch the chest, depends on the height of the individual. (am I right?)
My question is: to max muscle and strenght gains (considering I am not interested in competing whatsoever), should I lower the bar to a 90 angle or till it touches my chest ?
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The bar does have to touch the chest in competition.

Regarding form, I would make sure you learn good setup first, so that your arms aren't flared out. Then it will be easier to lower the bar deeper. Not implying your form is bad...just think that once you have good form, it might be easier to lower the bar deeper.

In training, I sometimes don't go all the way to my chest. I go close, but never more than an inch off.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-10-2010 at 03:23 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post

I was wondering if there is any weight-free routine that I could do to keep the losses at a minimum ?
I would recommend exercises like pushups, dips between chairs, pull ups (or negative pullups), bodyweight lunges, diamond pushups, etc, and performing them rest pause style.

Say, perform 10 pushups, and rest 30 seconds, perform 10 more, and rest. Keep this up for 10 sets. It will definitely stimulate the muscles.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
JBIGS
Owner, Swollen Gorilla Cl
Brawn
Points: 1,364, Level: 20 Points: 1,364, Level: 20 Points: 1,364, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good postsJBIGS has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would recommend exercises like pushups, dips between chairs, pull ups (or negative pullups), bodyweight lunges, diamond pushups, etc, and performing them rest pause style.

Say, perform 10 pushups, and rest 30 seconds, perform 10 more, and rest. Keep this up for 10 sets. It will definitely stimulate the muscles.
I completely agree with this...definitely a good rotuine to have if you don't have access to weights and want a good training session
An adult gorilla's upper body strength is six times more powerful than that of an adult human - enabling them to lift, break, and squeeze heavy objects. I'd rather have GORILLA STRENGTH & GORILLA MUSLCE!

Rise Up. Beat Your Gorilla Chest. Conquer the World.
JBIGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Dynasty
The Irish One
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor

I agree with BtB too, if you don't got weights, there is always a weight to use BODY! So exercises with your body can really help, like push ups and dips, I'm sure you'll get really creative and find out amazing things that can be used! Don't believe that the gym is the only place to find weights! The WORLD is your gym
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
ron77
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

ron77 is off to a bad start

All good points about the dips, pushups, etc. and i dont know how strong you are but...

If you get to a point where you can do any of those bodyweight exercises for 10-20 reps non-stop then you're going to have to add some resistance (weight) and you can easily do that by wearing a bookbag filled with weights, having a small child on your back or any other creative way to make the exercise more challenging to help you get progressively stronger
Old 11-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron77 View Post
All good points about the dips, pushups, etc. and i dont know how strong you are but...

If you get to a point where you can do any of those bodyweight exercises for 10-20 reps non-stop then you're going to have to add some resistance (weight) and you can easily do that by wearing a bookbag filled with weights, having a small child on your back or any other creative way to make the exercise more challenging to help you get progressively stronger
There are ways to increase the stress on the muscles without adding additional weight. These are called disadvanted lever moves. Also, static holds can be used to great advantage, when you have dip and chinup bars.
There are lots of BW moves that most people don't know about.

Adding weight to your body for pushups is not a bad idea, but there are ways around it, if you don't have it.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Here is a good article on some stuff to work on.

Building an Olympic Body
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
charliesrp
Nano Vapor
Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3

charliesrp is off to a bad start
Default Re : Weightfree routine ?

Its a very cool and have sufficient knowledge regarding to muscle building. Muscle building has great role in weight lose.
charliesrp is offline   Reply With Quote